AISLE SEAT POLL: Best Original Score

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!

Which Nominee Will Win Best Original Score?

FINDING NEVERLAND
50%
HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
No votes
LEMONY SNICKET (how did this get nominated?)
No votes
PASSION OF THE CHRIST
25%
THE VILLAGE
25%

Total votes: 4

AndyDursin

AISLE SEAT POLL: Best Original Score

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Once again, which score do you think WILL win??

Feel free to comment on which score you think SHOULD win as well, but vote for what you think will cop the Oscar.

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Out of those choices: Village SHOULD get it, Passion WILL get it. I smell politics all over the place on this thing. Might see the default to Williams for the HP score, but that would make me insane as that's not nearly an Oscar caliber score from Williams, imho.

And Snicket is on there because we can't seem to get away from having at least one Newman get nominated every year for something, regardless of circumstance.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree THE VILLAGE is the best score out of that group. I liked THE PASSION but it's not in a league with the other scores. FINDING NEVERLAND was quite nice, however, and something tells me if Miramax was able to hype the movie into a slew of nominations in major categories across the board, it'll take home the Oscar as well.

Torrance

#4 Post by Torrance »

Hopefully The Village will win, but I'd be happy to see Lemony Snicket get up so that Thomas Newman can finally win the award after being snubbed so many times, Harry Potter has little chance, same for Finding Neverland. I think The Passion is a shoe-in. But the best of the nominated scores is The Village.

Too bad two of the year's best scores - The Incredibles and Sideways - are nowhere to be seen!
And they rode on ... in the frisculating dusklight

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Welcome aboard from Down Under, Torrance!

romanD

#6 Post by romanD »

oh my.. just saw LEMONY SNIKCET.. great movie (loved the books! and the movie does them justice).. but the score... oh my... I didn't like it on CD already, but this doesn't work at all in the movie. One of the worst scores of the year... and this got an oscar nomination??? What a disappointment...

would have been a great movie for Marc Shaiman or Alan Silvestri... hope they hire someone else for Part 2, but with the nomination now I doubt they rethink Newman... aaaargh

oh and they had great Main Titles (sort of) and a fantastic End Title sequence... when will the Academy recognize something like this?

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Roman -- with all due respect and I admit I haven't seen the film -- how can LEMONY SNICKET possibly be one of the "worst scores of the year"?

I've heard the album and it's a typical Newman score. It sounds like Newman, it works like Newman, it IS Thomas Newman -- one can easily identify it as being his from the second it starts.

I find it impossible to believe it's THAT awful, because it sounds like every other Thomas Newman score I've ever heard.

Now, don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying it should be nominated (because it's pretty forgettable, at least on the album) -- but still, the WORST score of the year?? For what reason??

romanD

#8 Post by romanD »

it's not the worst (that honor goes to both Harald Kloser scores), but it is one of the worst... it doesn't add anything at all to the movie, is completely forgettable, the spotting is bad, it is repetitive (you often think what wonderful long and inventive adventure music Shaiman or Broughton or Williams would have written for this scene or that scene, whereas Thomas Newman repeats 3 bars of drum loops over and over)...

it is maybe clearly Thomas Newman, but I was hoping to hear something more orchestral, more melodic, more exciting and interesting.

I wasn't a big fan of FINDING NEMO, but at least that score worked in themovie.. this time you don't even notice there is score, no theme, nothing... and that's what the movie really needed!

so that makes it one of the worst scores for me... and for sure the biggest missed opportunity!

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

Coming off of Road to Perdition and, to a lesser extent, Nemo, I really was expecting something good from Snicket. Instead, you have a hodge podge of oftentimes unintelligible noise that just happens to be orchestrated.

This score is an example of when Newman is "off." You either like him or you don't. For every "Perdition", he puts out about 3-4 scores like "Snicket", so you have to pick your spots carefully.

It's definitely near the bottom of the barrel for the year, but since most of the output this year is at the bottom anyways, who's counting? ;)

Big disappointment would be a more accurate appraisal of the Snicket score.

Ten years ago, that would have sported a kick ass Danny Elfman score.