CLOSE ENCOUNTERS 40th Anniversary

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS 40th Anniversary

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Excellent article on the anticipated new 4K release of CE3K, which is out on UHD in a couple of weeks and is in limited theatrical play this weekend:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... ed-1033691

Interesting tidbits on the restoration...
The restoration work also includes a high dynamic range version. "We worked on that for quite a few weeks," Crisp said, adding that with the expanded range, "Close Encounters still had to look like Close Encounters. The film was so well shot. We did a few HDR tests and I asked his guys to come and look at it. We got to where we would show it to Steven. I went over and set up some OLED monitors. He had recommendations for changes, but ultimately really liked it."
There's also a new hardcover book on the movie due out in October:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind will be back in domestic theaters for a one-week run beginning September 1, presented in a 4K restoration of Spielberg’s director’s cut.

Celebrate the fortieth anniversary of Steven Spielberg’s sci-fi classic Close Encounters of the Third Kind with this fully authorized behind-the-scenes book exploring the creation, production, and legacy of this iconic film.

Created in conjunction with Sony Pictures and Amblin Entertainment, Close Encounters of the Third Kind: The Visual History details the complete creative journey behind the making of the film and examines its cultural impact.

Featuring rare and never-before-seen imagery from the archives, the book brings together a stunning collection of on-set photography, concept art, storyboards, and more to create a visual narrative of the film’s journey to the big screen. It also features a wealth of insightful commentary from every key player involved in the film, from the acclaimed director himself to the film’s stars and the key department heads who brought Spielberg’s vision to life.

Special inserts and interactive elements include script pages, call lists, concept sketches, and more. Comprehensive, compelling, and filled with unseen treasures, Close Encounters of the Third Kind: The Ultimate Visual History is a fitting tribute to one of history’s most iconic films.

Monterey Jack

Re: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS 40th Anniversary

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Definitely seeing this...have never seen it in a theater, and the 2015 release of Jaws was amazing to see on the big screen with a screaming crowd. 8)

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

From what I've seen, I would not buy the new release if you only need the Blu Ray. The sound is reportedly inferior and the pq looks the same or has no improvement at all over the earlier BD.

4k is a different issue though I'm not sure the PR agency is going to send me a review copy.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Here's the DVD Beaver analysis with screen grabs. He claims the audio is a major downgrade...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, not wasting money on this (ditto the new release of E.T....the 2012 Blu looked and sounded great and is more than satisfactory).

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

The E.T. release is really only geared toward 4k owners...the Blu Ray is the exact same disc as before. I don't know what Sony is shipping me for CE3K but why they would even send out review copies of the Blu is mystifying. Guess they feel the very little extra content is worth sending out (like a half hours worth).

Anyway I ordered the UHD off Amazon and that does look like it'll be worth it...hopefully