Universal Pulls Plug on "Dark Universe" Monster Franchise?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Universal Pulls Plug on "Dark Universe" Monster Franchise?

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Guess anyone pretending that THE MUMMY was any kind of success can stop the charade with this news. Not surprising given that Universal pulled the plug on the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN revival a few weeks ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... eakingnews

KevinEK

Re: Universal Pulls Plug on "Dark Universe" Monster Franchise?

#2 Post by KevinEK »

This is a smart move by Universal. They've always been smarter in their financial approach.
Unlike WB, which is cruising for a serious bruising with its attempt at a DC Universe series of movies - so far, they've only shown promise with a single movie out of four, and the upcoming one may or may not have been made palatable by massive reshoots by Joss Whedon.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I only hope this doesn't stop Universal from releasing the remaining lots of classic monster flicks on Blu-Ray.

I agree it's smart by Universal. That Bride project sounded promising (at least more than The Mummy) so perhaps they can maneuver that into just being a standalone movie and not a piece of a forced franchise.

Also pretty clear Tom Cruise's days as a viable major star to anchor something like this are over.

KevinEK

#4 Post by KevinEK »

I thought Universal had already done a pretty solid release of the other classic monster movies from their collection onto Blu-ray last year.
The other Dracula movies, Frankenstein movies, the "House of..." movies, etc.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

They did but the Invisible Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon sets were seemingly being held off for the next one of these.

KevinEK

#6 Post by KevinEK »

I see that now. They only put the DVDs out for those movies. But they did Blus for all the others.
My instincts say they'll put Blus out of those anyway next year. Part of their catalogue material to release.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

They are, allegedly, already working on them or have them ready to go based on what some internet folks have claimed. Agreed, I'd guess we'll see them anyway, but it doesn't help the cause when the big marketing push to justify their release is gone.