Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Warp Speeds to Pre-Production & HARD "R" RATING

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!

Monterey Jack

Re: Quentin Tarantino to do Trek?

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Tarantino talks about a LOT of projects that end up never happening, so the odds of this coming to fruition are about less than 10%.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like this is much further along than the rumor stage though. It's actually now in development.

Hopefully it will have 5 minutes of action and be otherwise comprised of three hour-long dialogue sequences: one on the Bridge, one in the Transporter room, and the rest in Kirk's quarters with a half dozen alien women representing his sexual libido. Maybe it could be some kind of ENEMY WITHIN head-trip. :lol:

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:39 pm
Hopefully it will have 5 minutes of action and be otherwise comprised of three hour-long dialogue sequences: one on the Bridge, one in the Transporter room, and the rest in Kirk's quarters with a half dozen alien women representing his sexual libido. Maybe it could be some kind of ENEMY WITHIN head-trip. :lol:
Heh...I remember Lukas back in a print issue of FSM saying that Jackie Brown, "...is an entertaining movie, despite being shot and edited like Star Trek: The Motion Picture". :lol:

Hey, I'm up for anything Q has in the pipeline, but I can't see him wedding his style to any established franchise. Like that James Bond movie he wanted to do with Pierce Brosnan...I can't imagine him doing a movie with an established fanbase and a PG-13 rating. :? Just because you're a fan of something doesn't mean you're right to be a part of it. Remember Winona Ryder in Alien: Resurrection? :shock:

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah exactly.

Now, it could be that he really does have a good idea for a Star Trek movie, and if he's working (and willing to work) with JJ Abrams and the studio, then there's a chance it might go somewhere. From the sounds of it, he's up for that. He's got an idea, they'll put a "writer's room" together to see if they can go somewhere with the concept -- maybe he directs, maybe not, but it sounds to me like he wants to play ball enough to take a real crack at it.

Bottom line is Paramount is desperate and that plays a role here also. The studio is hanging on by a thread, and the Trek franchise sagged after the last two installments so they are going to listen to anything that might propel the series somewhere. Just cranking out another one of these Chris Pine ensemble vehicles isn't going to cut it, which is why they wanted to bring Hemsworth back as his father in a 4th movie (even though Hemsworth has been box-office poison in anything not Marvel-related!).

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

I have the strangest feeling Lt. Uhura and Nurse Chapel will be appearing without any shoes.

KevinEK

#7 Post by KevinEK »

This really isn't the worst idea I've ever heard.
Tarantino has stated he's a fan of the original series. I'd be curious to see what he comes up with.
It certainly couldn't be as bad as the material I've watched them inflict over the past decade.
Granted, Tarantino has no idea that I can see about what Gene Roddenberry originally intended with Star Trek.
But then, neither did Nicholas Meyer. And that worked out fine.

I'd like to see what that writers' room generates.
At the least, it could make for a better script than we've been seeing for Trek in decades.
And Tarantino's record as a script doctor (Crimson Tide) tells me he might do much better with this than anyone is thinking.

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

^^ I really can't argue against any of that.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

This thing is really happening -- and it's really going to be a "hard R" too.

I take back my earlier post -- this is going to be the end of STAR TREK altogether, but Paramount is so desperate, they'll try anything.
EXCLUSIVE: After Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, and Drew Pearce. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I’m hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition.

That rating was crucially important to Tarantino, who hopes to direct this Star Trek and who has helmed R rated films his entire career. Imagine how this could open storytelling lanes, or even what the banter on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise might be, if you conjure up memories of the conversations between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the banter at the diner between robbers before the heist gone wrong that triggered the action in Reservoir Dogs.
Yeah what a GREAT flippin' idea. :evil:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tar ... 202222161/

Eric Paddon

Re: Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Warp Speeds to Pre-Production & HARD "R" RATING

#10 Post by Eric Paddon »

No wonder this industry is totally depraved.

Eric W.

Re: Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Warp Speeds to Pre-Production & HARD "R" RATING

#11 Post by Eric W. »

I hereby retract my tentative positive sentiment in my previous post as well if that's anything to go by. That's not what it's about and how it's supposed to be.

For me?

Trek has been dead for a while. My Trek anyways. I'm sorry it's had to drag out like this and I really hope this project just never happens. Let it go Paramount. Please?

jkholm

#12 Post by jkholm »

So we have a Trek TV show whose episodes are either TV-14 or TV-MA on a streaming service you have to pay for. Now we'll get a Trek movie with an R rating. Not exactly a smart way to attract a younger generation of viewers to your franchise.

mkaroly

#13 Post by mkaroly »

Can't get on board with this. STAR TREK is not about R rating...what a shame.

Eric Paddon

#14 Post by Eric Paddon »

I heartily recommend a bar of soap shoved in Tarantino's mouth. I am sorry but I am fed up with this gratuitousness and this instinctive impulse to load up every film with foul language and scatology and sex just because they "can" and it's "pushing the envelope". No it isn't, it's being playground juvenile and shame on all the ones in this business responsible for contributing to the coarsening of society by making those of us who try to observe some manners seem like the oddballs by comparison.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

For such a supposed fan of the franchise, it's VERY odd that Tarantino "requires" the movie to have an R rating, let alone a "hard" R. Since when was that EVER a part of the appeal of the TV series or subsequent movies? :? We don't need an R-rated Star Wars, nor do we need Trek filled with F-bombs and gratuitous violence. And I say this as a Tarantino fan! This isn't going to be like peanut butter & chocolate...more like peanut butter smeared on anchovies. :shock: