This Week's Column: MATINEE, Twilight Time & Kino Lorber New Releases

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's Column: MATINEE, Twilight Time & Kino Lorber New Releases

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

A delightful visit with Joe Dante's MATINEE plus the newest Kino Lorber Studio Classics and Twilight Time releases in the first Aisle Seat of 2018!

In before the storm (lol)...

http://andyfilm.com/2018/01/03/1-9-17-j ... e-edition/

mkaroly

Re: This Week's Column: MATINEE, Twilight Time & Kino Lorber New Releases

#2 Post by mkaroly »

Can't wait for MATINEE...my favorite Joe Dante film!

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Pre-ordered Matinee (although have yet to receive any shipping notification :x), and am looking forward to another viewing. I don't believe I've sat down and watched it since its initial VHS release almost 25 years ago.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Picked up Matinee from the post office today, and gave it a watch tonight...what a charming, sweet and funny movie. :) The young leads are on the bland side (and the "greaser" boyfriend character seems very grafted on just to give the movie a modicum of "drama"), but the loving evocations of 50's and early 60's-era schlock cinema are hilariously spot-on, and John Goodman is wonderful. Just odd that the clip of Jerry Goldsmith's score that plays under the end credits of each interview segment sounds like it's being played underwater. :? Did I just get a bad copy, or something? The movie itself and the interviews sound fine, but the music under the interview end titles sound horrendous.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Didn't notice it...could be compression. It's the music running under the interview endings, so either way it's definitely not a big deal.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm Didn't notice it...could be compression. It's the music running under the interview endings, so either way it's definitely not a big deal.
Not a dealbreaker in any way, but it's just odd. The music sounds like a tinny, mono score recorded in 1956, so maybe that was the intention...?