RIP Margot Kidder

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RIP Margot Kidder

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Man another one... :cry:

Obviously I liked Kidder a lot in the first Superman when she was healthy . Sadly you could always spot the scenes that were from Richard Lester's II shoot, from her bad wig and frail appearance...drug use and whatever other issues really killed her career off. (Misdiagnosed bipolar?)

Kidder's Lois managed to be spunky and "contemporary" without being heavy handed. Especially when you watch those screen tests on the Superman DVD, you can see how empty those performances wouldve been instead from other actresses.

Richard Donner got a lot of mileage out of Reeve and Kidder's respective personalities and they meshed together onscreen beautifully....

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/14/margot-ki ... lois-lane/

mkaroly

Re: RIP Margot Kidder

#2 Post by mkaroly »

Always respected her performance in SUPERMAN THE MOVIE; that is the role I will remember her by. She seemed very "down to earth" as Lois Lane, something that I appreciated. I agree with your assessment Andy. I did not see many movies she starred in - SISTERS and THE AMITYVILLE HORROR come to mind though. RIP.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

While I think Debra Winger (being younger -- and prettier), would have been a better fit as the "leading lady", there's no question Margot Kidder brought a wonderful comedic angle to the role of Lois Lane. Her take on the role is lighthearted and genuinely funny -- something I doubt Winger could have pulled off as well.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I certainly like Winger too but I dont think the youth would've helped her there. One of the many problems with Superman Returns was Kate Bosworth being way too young. Lois is supposed to be an established writer and one of the papers star reporters...hard to pull that off with someone who looks like they just got out of college (which is what Winger probably would've looked like. Bosworth looked like she just finished high school! :lol:

KevinEK

#5 Post by KevinEK »

The first Superman was her best movie by far. She was great in it.
Sadly, her problems afterward were both medical and otherwise. She didn’t help herself with her own conduct, unfortunately.
And I remember the terrible moments during the 90s where she was already quite out of it.

But I’m glad we got to see her and Reeve at the right time in Donner’s film, and the film still holds up.

Somewhere Superman and Lois Lane are flying together again.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

"You've got ME?" [looks down] "Who's got YOU?!"

That may be my favorite cinematic sequence ever...the helicopter rescue in Superman: The Movie, and Kidder's incredulous reaction is what sells it completely, punctuating the genuine tension and excitement with humor at just the right moment. If only ANY cinematic Lois since then (anorexic teen-mom Kate Bosworth, sullen Amy Adams) could have had one moment as humanizing as that. :? Erica Durance on Smallville (and Dana Delany on Superman: The Animated Series) have been the only Lois---es since then to match Kidder's mix of brash sassiness and genuine sweetness underneath.

Anyways, R.I.P. to Margot...she was also terrific in Brian De Palma's lurid Sisters.

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

Tough life. I was always a fan. She's always going to be Lois Lane when I think of the character and Chris Reeve will always be Superman. RIP.

Eric Paddon

#8 Post by Eric Paddon »

Her death is now officially ruled a suicide which is the last sad coda to a troubled story of someone who gave us a bright magical cinema moment that none of us will forget.