James Gunn Rehired by Disney for GUARDIANS 3

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

James Gunn Rehired by Disney for GUARDIANS 3

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Happy to be proven wrong on this. There's really not much you can say about some of the vile stuff he said.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn ... 202430535/

Monterey Jack

Re: James Gunn Axed From GUARDIANS Franchise After Gross Twitter Comments Surface

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

God DAMN it.

AndyDursin

Re: James Gunn Axed From GUARDIANS Franchise After Gross Twitter Comments Surface

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

It really sucks for the films because of all the Marvel movies his writing really is individualistic. These movies could turn into another Ant Man very easily without him.

At the same time pedophilia isnt funny and the stuff he was writing about from any angle is disturbing. And deleting upwards of 10,000 tweets? I think he thought he could just say he had "evolved" but the bottom line is Disney just made their bed with Roseanne and frankly the things Gunn was saying are even more disgusting.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

I don't CARE, I'm SICK of this CRAP. Now we're gonna get some Brett Ratner-style HACK to make the third Guardians. It's X-Men: The Last Stand all over again. :evil:

Johnmgm

#5 Post by Johnmgm »

Except, it won’t be Brett Ratner, he’s in the doghouse for his “ME Too” moment, along with his X-Men predecessor Bryan Singer.

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

Over at Home Theater Forum, I saw proof of how politics makes some people deranged because I saw an endless parade of posts defending Gunn and wailing about how unfair it was because he had always spoken against "stupidity" and "inequality".

To which my response is "tough nuggie." The CEO of Papa John's was forced to give up his position for doing something far less and since their side demanded these "standards" they have to start learning how to live with them.

Johnmgm

#7 Post by Johnmgm »

I’m sure Gunn is reconsidering his notions of stupidity and inequality at this time.

Old George Orwell was right, and I paraphrase, Some of us are more equal than others.

KevinEK

#8 Post by KevinEK »

Frankly, I have seen plenty of evidence of how politics (and other things) have made some people quite deranged.

I take no pleasure in seeing someone get fired, nor do I take pleasure in seeing someone try to get away with vicious behavior.
On any set where I've worked, people who act in this manner usually wind up getting their comeuppance at some point.
Even David Boreanaz was publicly sued by a background artist for his own behavior a few years back.

People should not gloat about this kind of thing, regardless of who it is.
I feel no sympathy for perps like Harvey Weinstein, but I find it pointless to waste energy on them.

Johnmgm

#9 Post by Johnmgm »

A friend asked me today if I felt Gunn deserved to get canned. I said, if we could roll back all the other firings of for stupidity no, he shouldn’t be fired. But, since this particular genie is out of the bottle—especially at Disney—he’s gotta go.

I think there is a big difference between Harvey Weinstein stupid and James Gunn stupid. Perhaps one day, being James Gunn stupid won’t be a fireable offense.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree John. Unfortunately for Gunn the parameters have been set and thats where we are. But on the other hand, he wrote some awful stuff. Doesnt make him Victor Salva but Disney laid the ground rules.

My bottom line is this: can you appreciate the art of someone you dont like in terms of their speech or politics or whatever? Do you go to a movie or a restaurant or whereever because you agree with their politics...or because they made a good movie or they make good food? Why is endorsing one now like endorsing the other?

We are living in an increasingly stupid and hypersensitive era in which the world, business and industries, react to a few fringe people making noise on social media. And now the rest of us are being punished because of their intolerance. I do feel its going to die down and some of these people like Weinstein who have been exposed are genuine creeps, but too much of it is over the top and its hurting more than its helping.

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 pm
My bottom line is this: can you appreciate the art of someone you dont like in terms of their speech or politics or whatever? Do you go to a movie or a restaurant or wherever because you agree with their politics...or because they made a good movie or they make good food? Why is endorsing one now like endorsing the other?
If I only consumed art from people who were likable, then my movie and music shelves would be awfully barren. :| Bernard Herrmann was supposedly a horrible person to be around, but he also wrote some of the best film music ever recorded. Stanley Kubrick bullied and intimidated and wore down his actors and technicians on pretty much every movie he made, and he's one of the most iconic directors of all time. As long as you don't break any laws, what you think in your private time should have NO bearing on what you bring to your workplace, whether you work at McDonald's or in Hollywood. This PC witch hunt hysteria is terrifying.

KevinEK

#12 Post by KevinEK »

Nonsense. We already heard plenty from the Right as they attacked what they perceived as the morality of people in Hollywood.

This isn't a "PC Witch Hunt" and let's stop dignifying such silly terminology.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

I dont see anywhere where Monterey Jack is talking about politics, just his opinion on the matter.

Eric W.

#14 Post by Eric W. »

Generally speaking I continue to marvel at people's absolute lack of basic tact and sense when operating in the public domain, whether it be social media or other venues.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Thats the other thing. Most people dont make jokes about pedophilia and child rape, ever. Or have to take down 10,000 posts. Kind of makes it hard to sympathize there also.