Latest Star Trek Feature Film Attempt - Negotiations Collapse

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
KevinEK

Latest Star Trek Feature Film Attempt - Negotiations Collapse

#1 Post by KevinEK »

Industry papers are reporting that Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth have walked away from the next attempt at a Star Trek feature film, apparently due to Paramount attempting to get them to take salary cuts. This is not surprising, given how the second Abrams attempt stumbled at the box office, and the reduced-level third film was an open disappointment to all involved. From what I can see, Paramount is trying one of two approaches. Either they are trying to get everyone in the cast to take a big haircut on their salaries (and make the movie for a more reasonable amount than what they spent on the 2009 and 2013 inflictions) or they are deliberately making it impossible for the new film to be made, thus saving themselves a much greater headache. I honestly can't tell which way it's going.

Eric W.

Re: Latest Star Trek Feature Film Attempt - Negotiations Collapse

#2 Post by Eric W. »

https://www.space.com/41463-star-trek-4 ... eport.html

Wow, this is a disaster. As time has gone by I admit that these movies have grown on me on their own merits.

We'll see what happens with this. This is an extremely lame way for it to all end.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Fascinating developments!

I agree with Kevin, it sounds like Paramount really doesn't want to make this movie -- or just wants to make it at a reduced price. If I were Pine and had a deal in place, plus a number, I'd walk away too at this point. Actually I can kind of see where both sides are coming from, but why in the world would you even make this movie without Pine as Kirk? Granted, it's CHRIS PINE, it's not the end of the world, but whatever goodwill these Trek reboots have generated with their modest fan base, it's sure going to be odd to recast the part midstream like this. Why even bother making it?

Then again, I thought it was odd to start down the "Quentin Tarantino Path" with that other project -- while still making this one? What the hell is Paramount doing? I'm sure they'd rather be pumping out low-budget stuff like A QUIET PLACE and have that hit big than swing for the fences with Trek in the first place.

As for Hemsworth, whether this one happens or not, it's amazing what kind of cinematic legacy he's going to leave behind us...not just Thor, but the Ghostbusters remake. The Vacation remake. The Star Trek remake. The Men in Black remake. The Red Dawn remake. Decades from now, audiences will surely remember the magical cinematic run he had, and the enduring films he produced. :lol:

KevinEK

#4 Post by KevinEK »

Andy, does this mean that Hemsworth is the Ted McGinley of fine cinema? (Or perhaps not-so-fine cinema?)

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

lol. He could be!! :lol:

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes, she's dead Jim....
I hear Clarkson was recruited by HBO for GOT after she recently became available. Earlier this year, Clarkson was the first female director to be tapped to direct a Star Trek movie when she was hired to helm the fourth feature in the current series. That project has since been shelved.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/game-of-th ... 202531071/