Twilight Time Says Goodbye; $4-$11 Price Reductions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: Twilight Time - New Titles Announced

#271 Post by Eric Paddon »

I have seen "Black Widow" once and have a DVD release but I'm darned if I can remember much. Sort of a color noir type thing as I recall.

Monterey Jack

#272 Post by Monterey Jack »

Black Widow I remember buying on DVD about a dozen years back (and, no, it's not related to the 80's thriller of the same name). From what I remember, it was okay, but not $35 okay.

AndyDursin

#273 Post by AndyDursin »

ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA (1972) BLU-RAY - November 20th

OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973) BLU-RAY - November 20th

THE TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES (1957) BLU-RAY - November 20th

THE IRON HORSE (1924) BLU-RAY - November 20th

Eric Paddon

#274 Post by Eric Paddon »

Heston devoted a lot of time to his troubled Antony production in his journal that made for fascinating reading but given how the film turned out, I'm not too inclined to see it. He had major trouble finding a Cleo for the part (getting turn downs from Anne Bancroft and a number of others) and the one he finally settled on Hildegarde Neil, ended up doing so bad that a couple years later he wrote of how his agent literally suggested that he reshoot all of Cleopatra's scenes with another actress as a way of trying to give the film a second chance.

Paul MacLean

#275 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:03 pm Heston devoted a lot of time to his troubled Antony production in his journal that made for fascinating reading but given how the film turned out, I'm not too inclined to see it.
If it's Shakespeare, it's worth watching (you can be sure it's better than 99% of all screenplays written today)!

In any case, like Heston's film. It's clear he was inspired (and aided) by his experiences making Ben-Hur, El Cid, etc. While he did not have the budget those other films did, he still managed to invest Antony and Cleopatra with an impressive scope (though he did have to settle for stock footage drawn from the Burton/Taylor Cleopatra for the Battle of Actium sequence).

It's too bad Bancroft turned-down the film, but I have no problem with Neill's performance. The supporting cast is also phenomenal, and a virtual who's who of great English stage actors -- Julian Glover, John Castle, Freddie Jones, Roger Delgado, Eric Porter, etc. John Scott's score is still the best he ever wrote (and bittersweet indication that he would have written more scores of this calibre had he achieved the "A list" status he deserved).

I chalk-up part of the film's failure to the fact audiences probably felt they "already saw Cleopatra" a few years earlier, and that they were simply tired of epics by the early 1970s.

In any case, as they say on the Intrada board, "ordered!" :D

Eric Paddon

#276 Post by Eric Paddon »

X, Y AND ZEE (aka ZEE & CO, 1972) BLU-RAY - Dec 18th

SATAN NEVER SLEEPS (1962) BLU-RAY - Dec 18th

A MAN CALLED PETER (1955) BLU-RAY - Dec 18th

ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS (1969) BLU-RAY - Dec 18th

I will definitely be picking up "A Man Called Peter" though I hope to God Julie Kirgo has nothing to do with the liner notes or does any kind of a commentary since I can guess exactly what she'd say about certain aspects of this film and the character of Catherine Marshall.

AndyDursin

#277 Post by AndyDursin »

Nick strike up a new arrangement with Universal? ANNE is the first ever release from them through TT.

KevinEK

#278 Post by KevinEK »

A Man Called Peter was directed by my grandfather. That's an easy pickup for me - I have it on DVD but would love to have it in HD.

I have a plaque at home commemorating that the Directors Guild nominated my grandfather for Best Director for this film. It was one of three such nominations he received from the DGA. (The other two were for The Robe and Flower Drum Song). These are separate from Academy Award nominations, although he did get one for The Bishop's Wife.

I love the fact that Nick and Julie continue to bring the work of my grandfather out in high definition.

I've made it a mission to collect every film of my grandfather on DVD or Blu-ray, whenever they are released.

The full list of his films on Blu-ray, to date:

The Bishop's Wife (1947)
Harvey (1950)
No Highway in the Sky (1951) (via Kino Lorber - my father participated in the commentary)
My Cousin Rachel (1952) (via Twilight Time both for DVD and Blu)
Stars and Stripes Forever (1952)
The Robe (1953) (This one is a really lovely presentation, including a PIP function showing the older aspect ratio version, which was shot simultaneously with the widescreen one)
Desiree (1954) (via Twilight Time)
A Man Called Peter (1955) (via Twilight Time as of 12/18)
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962) (via Twilight Time)

The only American films of my grandfather not available on disc in the US to my knowledge through legit sources are:

The Naked Maja (1958) (which my grandfather hated, to be honest)
My Man Godfrey (1957) (this was the remake with David Niven)
Between Us Girls (1942)
Spring Parade (1940) (This one will never be available in any format as a legit release due to legal issues)
The Rage of Paris (1938) (I've heard this one is available on Alpha, but I don't know that to be legitimate)

Johnmgm

#279 Post by Johnmgm »

It is really nice that you are able to collect different editions of your grandfather’s work.

Paul MacLean

#280 Post by Paul MacLean »

KevinEK wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:45 pm A Man Called Peter was directed by my grandfather. That's an easy pickup for me - I have it on DVD but would love to have it in HD.

I have a plaque at home commemorating that the Directors Guild nominated my grandfather for Best Director for this film. It was one of three such nominations he received from the DGA. (The other two were for The Robe and Flower Drum Song). These are separate from Academy Award nominations, although he did get one for The Bishop's Wife.
Had no idea you were Henry Koster's grandson. Pretty cool! 8)

AndyDursin

#281 Post by AndyDursin »

BEAT THE DEVIL (1953) (alternate extended version; 2016 restoration) - January 22nd

THE RETURN OF FRANK JAMES (1940) - January 22nd

UNTAMED (1955) (brand new 4K transfer) - January 22nd

YANKS (1979) - January 22nd

AndyDursin

#282 Post by AndyDursin »

THE ADMIRABLE CRICHTON (1957) BLU-RAY - February 19th

BEDAZZLED (1967) BLU-RAY - February 19th

WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER (1957) BLU-RAY - February 19th

TALK RADIO (1988) BLU-RAY - February 19th

Eric Paddon

#283 Post by Eric Paddon »

Bedazzled definitely. Rock Hunter maybe but not if I'm in a financial crunch by then.

AndyDursin

#284 Post by AndyDursin »

MArch announcements are out.

Excited about THE BIG FIX, as I've never seen the film at all.

QUILLER had a lackluster Blu-Ray release from Network in the UK (to put it mildly) several years back, and this is from a 4K remaster so it will blow the doors off it.

THE WHOLE TOWN’S TALKING (1935) BLU-RAY - March 19th

THE RIVER’S EDGE (1957) BLU-RAY - March 19th

THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM (1966) BLU-RAY - March 19th (Brand New 4K Transfer)

THE BIG FIX (1978) BLU-RAY - March 19th

Paul MacLean

#285 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:31 pm QUILLER had a lackluster Blu-Ray release from Network in the UK (to put it mildly) several years back, and this is from a 4K remaster so it will blow the doors off it.
Glad I didn't order that region 2 DVD of Quiller a while back! :shock: