SUPERMAN 4K UHD with Remastered 6-Track 70mm Soundtrack

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SUPERMAN 4K UHD with Remastered 6-Track 70mm Soundtrack

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just got in next week's release of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE in 4K and, much to my surprise (and delight), they remastered the 6-track 70mm 1978 soundtrack in 5.1 for the first time.

The result is a much better balanced mix than the 2-channel stereo track Warner has included on laser/DVD/Blu-Ray previously, offering discrete effects in the rear channels and also less of an "echo-plex" effect in general. Dialogue is also clearer and the separation between music/dialogue/effects is superior to that old stereo track, which often sounded poorly balanced and way too "bright".

While the disc also has a terribly overpowered Dolby Atmos track of the early 2000's "remix" (now with pumped-up LFE levels), the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is the best representation ever (by far) of the 1978 soundtrack and is reason enough to recommend the release! (Oh, and the transfer is pretty nifty too...!)

AndyDursin

Re: SUPERMAN - Remastered 6-Track 70mm Soundtrack

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

My review from this week's column...
It’s a big month for 4K UHD enthusiasts, as multiple studios have launched a series of classics in the fledgling format. Most of these films need little introduction to fans, who are likely to wonder if they’re worth plunking down additional funds for the umpteenth time. Thanks to the restoration of the movie’s 6-track 70mm soundtrack, the answer for SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (****, 143 mins., 1978, PG) fans, at least, is an unqualified “yes!”

While also providing a more “filmic” presentation with appreciably neutral colors (Krypton is grey as opposed to blue) compared to past releases, the biggest asset of Warner’s 4K UHD is the first-ever true restoration of the movie’s six-track 70mm sound mix. The old Dolby Stereo track — presented on laserdisc, DVD and Warner’s Blu-Ray box-set release of the theatrical cut – was often criticized for being too bright and unbalanced, with many, over the years, chalking up its inadequacies due to the early days of Dolby sound design.

This restored six-track mix – housed in the UHD’s default 5.1 Dolby Digital track – should prove to be a revelation for fans. Discrete effects are audible in the rear channels throughout; dialogue is clearer, while the general balance between music/dialogue/effects is substantially improved. The entire track also boasts less of an “echo-plex” effect than the familiar two-channel mix, making for an audio upgrade as substantial as the transfer itself, one that seems to adhere more closely to director Richard Donner and cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth’s intended visual design. Details are appreciably enhanced in certain portions, while other segments retain Unsworth’s trademark glossiness. The colors, as well, look more satisfyingly balanced and HDR usage is effective throughout (compare the richness of the Smallville sequences to the prior Blu-Rays, just for starters).

While the disc also has a terribly overpowered Dolby Atmos track of the 2000’s “remix” (now with pumped-up LFE levels), the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is the best representation ever of the 1978 soundtrack and is reason enough to recommend the release – one which my wife and I played to a very enthusiastic 4-year-old who seemed completely enchanted with it (though occasionally, for the first hour, asking when Superman was “going to start fighting crime”).

Warner’s 4K UHD is bundled with a Digital HD copy as well as the Blu-Ray from the 2011 Anthology box-set. This disc preserves the theatrical cut exclusively in a superior AVC encode as opposed to Warner’s first Blu-Ray (of the 151-minute “Special Edition”), though it’s striking to go back to it after savoring the 4K UHD, which ranks as one of the most satisfying catalog releases in the format this year.

Edmund Kattak

Re: SUPERMAN 4K UHD with Remastered 6-Track 70mm Soundtrack

#3 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Dumb question, but will this play on a standard Blu-Ray player with the 6-track 70mm soundtrack intact? I haven't jumped on the 4K bandwagon yet.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

It will not, sadly. If you do buy a 4K player I believe they can be hooked up to a non-4K set, and the UHD discs played in 1080p just fine, at least (and there should be numerous players on sale on Black Friday). Haven't tried it myself but I've heard of folks doing that.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'd like to get a 4K player for the handful of titles that have had markedly improved transfers/soundtracks for notoriously poor Blus (like the first three Mission: Impossible movies and the first Predator), but I don't know if I'd see enough of an improvement on my regular set.

Plus, I don't want to go through the hell of re-buying my home media collection for the FIFTH goddamn time (VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu and now 4K). :x

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

There's really not a lot of catalog stuff out there in the grand scheme of things I would call utterly essential. On the plus side, sales are frequent and many of these don't hold their MSRP for long...the RAMBO 4K UHDs which are out next week will be $7.99 on Black Friday!

The other thing is that the prices on the 4K TVs are absurdly low, and will be this Black Friday too.

sprocket

#7 Post by sprocket »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm If you do buy a 4K player I believe they can be hooked up to a non-4K set, and the UHD discs played in 1080p just fine...
I have hooked up an OPPO 203 to my Panasonic VT25 and 4K plays fine... just a few 'flashes' when loading different content on the disk, which I hear are slight handshake problems.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

For those without 4K or who want to see the film in theaters...
METROPOLIS (November 14, 2018) -- No, that is not a bird or a plane flying back to nationwide movie theaters later this month. It'll be SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE making its triumphant big screen return to celebrate the iconic film's 40th anniversary at more than 400 U.S. movie theaters!

Searching for participating theaters and purchasing tickets now for SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE can be done faster than a speeding bullet by simply visiting FathomEvents.com. The 40th anniversary screening of SUPERMAN will be hosted by Fathom Events and Warner Bros. on Sunday, November 25 and Tuesday, November 27 (3 p.m. & 7 p.m. local time), as well as a third encore screening on Monday, December 3 at 7 p.m. local time.

This is an extremely rare opportunity for fans to see SUPERMAN on the big screen, and this special presentation also includes the Max Fleischer "Superman" cartoon "Mechanical Monsters," shown in movie theaters for the first time since it debuted in November 1941

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 pm
METROPOLIS (November 14, 2018) -- No, that is not a bird or a plane flying back to nationwide movie theaters later this month. It'll be SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE making its triumphant big screen return to celebrate the iconic film's 40th anniversary at more than 400 U.S. movie theaters!
Thanks for the head-up Andy! It's a bit of pain they're screening it on a Sunday -- and Tuesday -- but I'm definitely planing to be there!