R.I.P. to Nick Redman

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

R.I.P. to Nick Redman

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric W.

Re: R.I.P. to Nick Redman

#2 Post by Eric W. »

I just saw that and really got taken aback. :(

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Nick was so hands-on with his Twilight Time releases that seeing his involvement in their discs really slow down over the last year or so was striking. When I saw his repeated hospital posts on Facebook, especially of late, I was worried something was really off. And obviously it was. He would always send off a note when I'd email him that my reviews were live -- but then I didn't hear back at all last month from him.

I am sending Julie a note and send my condolences to his family. 62 is far too young...I've gone through this now with friends and extended family members over the years and it's never easy anytime you deal with cancer. God bless them all.

Needless to say, movie buffs have lost a real advocate in Nick, who single-handedly pushed out hundreds of Blu-Rays not to mention produce so many soundtrack albums that are a part of his legacy. He was supportive of the Aisle Seat and my columns, and was both appreciative of my coverage and would also tell me when I made an error -- but also understood when I mentioned that an oversight I might've made was due to being up late taking care of a newborn. We had a few back and forths, but always ended on an up note, and his advocacy for classic film and film music is going to be sorely, sorely missed.

In fact, hearing of Nick's passing at the same time the Fox film studio is going away forever is truly symbolic. Regrettably. :cry:

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

I can't say Nick and I were "bosom buddies" but we were friendly, and moved in some of the same circles, going back to the days of the Goldsmith Society (whose quarterly magazine featured a column written by Nick, under a pseudonym).

Nick always wished me a Happy Birthday on Facebook every year, and I was always very touched by that. He was a busy man (and we certainly didn't socialize) but he never forgot that annual birthday greeting. For all of his great work and the copious Nick Redman-produced CDs and Blu-rays which line my shelves, it is mostly those birthday well-wishings for which I'll remember him.

Nick makes me think of that line in Dead Poets' Society, where Robin Williams tells his students "Medicine, science, etc -- all very important and all vital for sustaining life. But poetry, art -- these are what we stay alive for". Nick championed that philosophy, working ceaselessly to preserve cinema art -- and music -- much of which would still be rotting away in vaults had he not stepped up to the plate.

God speed, Nick. And thanks!
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprocket

#5 Post by sprocket »

I'm sad to hear this.

My first thought was of when I first heard of him, saving old film scores which were deteriorating beyond recovery in the early 1990s when very little of that sort of thing was being done. Reportedly, some of the tapes he was transferring were so fragile that they would have one pass through the machine and that was it.

So his musical legacy will be what I remember.