BAD BOYS II: The Highway Chase

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
MikeSkerritt

BAD BOYS II: The Highway Chase

#1 Post by MikeSkerritt »

Just to lay some context on you, I don't like Michael Bay. It used to be just minor annoyance of his whole style over substance mantra, but the more movies he makes, each more awful than the last, it's reached a boiling point where just the mention of his name turns me off, no matter the story, no matter the cast.

Having said that, I was just flipping through the channels and came upon BAD BOYS II, specifcally the infamous highway chase where the Smith and Laurence characters give chase in a Ferrari to some gangster types in a car transport, and the cars are unloaded into traffic. I still can't say I like Michael Bay, but man, this sequence is friggin' brilliant. BRILLIANT. It's kinetic yet rhythmic and measured. There's got to be some CGI work involved but it's completely seamless, and it's as physically tangible a chase sequence as you'll ever see. Certainly more so that the more lauded chase set piece in MATRIX RELOADED.

So kudos to you and your stunt team, Michael Bay. Now if you'd only put that much energy into holding a shot for more than 1.45 seconds.

Eric W.

Re: BAD BOYS II: The Highway Chase

#2 Post by Eric W. »

MikeSkerritt wrote:Just to lay some context on you, I don't like Michael Bay. It used to be just minor annoyance of his whole style over substance mantra, but the more movies he makes, each more awful than the last, it's reached a boiling point where just the mention of his name turns me off, no matter the story, no matter the cast.

Having said that, I was just flipping through the channels and came upon BAD BOYS II, specifcally the infamous highway chase where the Smith and Laurence characters give chase in a Ferrari to some gangster types in a car transport, and the cars are unloaded into traffic. I still can't say I like Michael Bay, but man, this sequence is friggin' brilliant. BRILLIANT. It's kinetic yet rhythmic and measured. There's got to be some CGI work involved but it's completely seamless, and it's as physically tangible a chase sequence as you'll ever see. Certainly more so that the more lauded chase set piece in MATRIX RELOADED.

So kudos to you and your stunt team, Michael Bay. Now if you'd only put that much energy into holding a shot for more than 1.45 seconds.
I agree. This chase scene is about one of the only few positives I can take away from the mess that Bad Boys II is.