STAR TREK - Boldly Going...Where?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

STAR TREK - Boldly Going...Where?

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Deadline delivers a state of the franchise update at ParamountCBS -- trying to figure out what way to go next. That Pine/Hemsworth time travel sequel to the current series, Noah Hawley's all-new cast project, or the Tarantino "30s gangster movie" which is supposedly like the classic series episode A PIECE OF THE ACTION.

Getting rid of JJ, OrciKurtzman or whoever else has been in charge would be a smart first step.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/star-trek- ... 203007658/
EXCLUSIVE: Looks like Paramount’s plan to next make the Star Trek movie that Noah Hawley wrote and plans to direct has been put on pause for a moment. New film chief Emma Watts, who managed many a franchise at Fox, is in the process of figuring out which way to go.

The pause on the Hawley project, which had been in soft prep, prompted rumors this week that the filmmaker might exit, but that has not happened yet, sources said. Deadline revealed in 2019 that Hawley made a deal on Trek — the Fargo and Legion EP was driven by his love for the original series, just like JJ Abrams when he directed the first installment. The other two possibilities are the one that The Revenant’s Mark L. Smith wrote for Quentin Tarantino to direct (Deadline broke that one late 2017), and another that was going to bring back the original cast — at one time with talk that Chris Hemsworth would return and play Chris Pine’s father in a time travel narrative. S. J. Clarkson was attached to direct but exited for Game of Thrones.

What we’re hearing is that both the Hawley pic — which calls for a new cast and might be about a deadly virus which might feel awkward given current circumstance — and the Smith version — Tarantino dropped out as director, but the project is still viable based on an episode of the classic Star Trek series that takes place largely earthbound in a 30s gangster setting — might serve the franchise best as Logan-like spinoffs when the core franchise has been revitalized. The other one might have the cleanest path toward a relaunch, with an emphasis on boosting overseas gross numbers which have never been the franchise’s strong suit. These decisions will take place over the next few weeks.

Star Trek continues to be a monster franchise for ViacomCBS, so they want to make sure they get it right. One reason the Hemsworth-Pine version stalled is the high price of keeping the original cast in place. Between Fargo and a book he is completing, Hawley (who made his directing debut on the arthouse pic Lucy in the Sky) has plenty to keep him occupied. Stay tuned.

Paul MacLean

Re: STAR TREK - Boldly Going...Where?

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Personally, I'm Star Treked-out. This is a franchise which has been milked to death.

I honestly started to lose interest after TNG. The TNG movies were pretty good (overall) but I never saw more than three episodes of Deep Space Nine. I did like what I saw of Voyager but not enough to religiously watch it. I didn't really like the first Abrams movie (and hated the sequel). And aren't their two new shows now? Picard and another one with a lesbian captain or something like that?

At the same time, I've recently been revisiting the original series, and finding it remains very impressive -- half a century on.

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

TOS and TNG are my jam (with TNG being my favorite). Have the DS9 DVDs as a friend of mine highly recommended the show, but I must confess I have never seen Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, or Picard (or the new cartoon out now). Liked the majority of Trek movies, love the scores to the movies and TV shows, and was generally okay with the JJ Abrams reboot films.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

I think it's past time to let it go and leave it be.

tjguitar85

#5 Post by tjguitar85 »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 am Personally, I'm Star Treked-out. This is a franchise which has been milked to death.

I honestly started to lose interest after TNG. The TNG movies were pretty good (overall) but I never saw more than three episodes of Deep Space Nine. I did like what I saw of Voyager but not enough to religiously watch it. I didn't really like the first Abrams movie (and hated the sequel). And aren't their two new shows now? Picard and another one with a lesbian captain or something like that?

At the same time, I've recently been revisiting the original series, and finding it remains very impressive -- half a century on.

I have to disagree on this. We had almost nothing in between the end of Enterprise and Discovery except for the few movies.

I never watched Discovery (other than the one episode that was on CBS). I enjoyed Picard and I find Lower Decks entertaining enough.

I hope they continue to make the content. I may not watch all of it, but at least there's an option to vs 2005 - 2017 when there was virtually nothing. I thought it was pretty boring that after Enterprise they had decided to do another prequel-to-TOS series, but I guess they incorporated Pike and his crew to that show and Pike will be getting a spin off. I may watch the Pike spin off.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

tjguitar85 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:43 pm I have to disagree on this. We had almost nothing in between the end of Enterprise and Discovery except for the few movies.
When you consider the Star Trek "universe", as it was established over the past 5+ decades, there is fertile ground for new ideas and stories.

But all of the shows and films have been pretty-much the same thing. Deep Space Nine offered a different type of setting, and Voyager expanded things a bit, but for the most part it's been the same-old, same-old. How much more can you milk out of the Enterprise and its characters?

Like so many existing franchises, they just keep re-vamping the same formula, because it is safer to stick with a property the public is familiar with, instead of taking a chance on something new.

If that was the mindset at work in the 1960s, there would never have been a Star Trek, only endless reboots of Gunsmoke and Perry Mason.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

I think it's a pretty rudderless franchise right now.

I was enthused by Abrams' first movie, felt it could've been a springboard for a really exciting new series, and then he coughed up one of the biggest duds of his career with INTO DARKNESS. That movie was a total dog and audiences felt the same because BEYOND suffered a massive dropoff. As usually happens with Abrams, he "understands the franchise" and is able to make an initially good movie with nostalgic components (see his first STAR TREK and THE FORCE AWAKENS), but once he needs to move off the reservation (be it RISE OF SKYWALKER or INTO DARKNESS), he has little in his bag of tricks that's fresh, original or engaging. He brings little to the table of his own devices.

On the TV end, the sooner they distance themselves from Kurtzman and Orci, the better. Those guys are pretty much total hacks as far as I'm concerned. It looks good but DISCOVERY often feels like it's been assembled from bits and pieces of a diversity training seminar. PICARD has generally been regarded as a major disappointment that got worse as it went along. I watched one episode and fell asleep on it.

Paramount realizes they have a key brand in their stable and they are in desperate need of cash, so I don't blame them for trying to exploit it -- but it needs a fresh voice and perspective.

tjguitar85

#8 Post by tjguitar85 »

PICARD has generally been regarded as a major disappointment that got worse as it went along. I watched one episode and fell asleep on it.
Where have you seen that sentiment? RottenTomatoes gave it 87% I believe.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Every person I know who saw it and most every comment from people who watched it that I came across said pretty much the same thing.. As for the RT score, my guess its reflective of the first episode or two (a problem an aggregate site has with people who only watched a few episodes) but most fans you read absolutely hate it with a passion. Serious disconnect there, as there often is these days.

And there have been plenty of poor reviews on top of it:

"Baffingly bad...another grim CBS spinoff"

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2020/01/23/st ... rd-review/

"The dark reboot that boldly goes where nobody wanted it to"

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... nted-it-to

"Underwhelming"

https://tv.avclub.com/all-is-resolved-i ... f-18425011

"Went in a weird, sad direction"

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/27/21197 ... data-death

"Simply terrible"

https://filmdaily.co/reviews/wwisydht/s ... -terrible/

"Both amazing and awful, yet ultimately disappointing"

https://www.space.com/star-trek-picard- ... recap.html

"Who was this show really about anyway?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/arts ... odbye.html

You will find more but even most of the positive reviews of the finale are tempered with lots of criticism.

tjguitar85

#10 Post by tjguitar85 »

Weird, I enjoyed it, I thought it had a much better reaction than Discovery did.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

The hardcore fans mostly hated it. Not even Discovery was that divisive.