FATMAN - Mel Gibson is Santa Claus - December!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

FATMAN - Mel Gibson is Santa Claus - December!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Mel Gibson has been set to play Santa Claus in Fatman, a dark action comedy that is looking to be a present for buyers at the upcoming Cannes film market. Filming is scheduled to begin early next year in Canada.

Fortitude is handling international sales rights and will introduce the project to international buyers next week. CAA is repping U.S. sales.

Fatman centers on a rowdy, unorthodox Santa Claus (Gibson) who is fighting his business decline. Meanwhile, Billy, a neglected and precocious 12 year old, hires a hit man to kill Santa after receiving a lump of coal in his stocking. It was written and will be directed by brothers Ian and Eshom Nelms, whose credits include Small Town Crime, Waffle Street and Lost on Purpose.
The film is being produced by Brandon James of Rough House Pictures, Fortitude’s Nadine de Barros and Skywolf’s Lisa Wolofsky. Executive producers include James’ Rough House partners David Gordon Green, Danny McBride and Jody Hill.

“I am excited to be working with the incredibly talented Nelms brothers who have written a unique, highly entertaining script,” de Barros said. “Mel is the perfect choice as Chris Cringle like we’ve never seen him before. I couldn’t be more thrilled to watch this darkly comedic Christmas film come to life.”

Gibson, the two-time Oscar winner, was just on the big screen in Dragged Across Concrete. He also recently was final negotiations to star with Tye Sheridan in Black Flies, and he also has directing duties on The Wild Bunch remake. He is repped by CAA.

The Nelms brothers are repped by ICM Partners, Ilene Feldman Management, LBI Entertainment and Morris, Yorn
https://deadline.com/2019/05/mel-gibson ... 202609900/

AndyDursin

Re: FATMAN - Mel Gibson is Santa Claus in Action-Comedy

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I think I've run out of words for 2020.

Suffice to say this looks like a trailer to a fake movie like an SNL sketch.

Is it entirely a joke? It has to be. Right? Right?!?!

esteban miranda

Re: FATMAN - Mel Gibson is Santa Claus - December!

#3 Post by esteban miranda »

Very curious. Not only did a movie maker think this was a good idea but he was able to convince someone to finance it. Some salesman...

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

I think it fits right in with the collective insanity that is de rigueur in 2020.

I also think it looks very entertaining!
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes, I'm checking this out. lol

I just hope it can keep it going for 90 minutes!! :D

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

His beard is so friggin' cool...lol...I could never grow a beard like that...it hurts my soul! And this movie looks bizarre...in a potentially fun way?? Lol...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

The reviews are out and it's impossible to tell if this is terrible or not -- they all seem hellbent on "reviewing Mel" instead of the movie.
‘Fatman’ Review: Mel Gibson Plays Santa Claus in a Movie that Will Feel like a Christmas Gift to the Gibson Faithful and a Stunt to Anyone Else
https://variety.com/2020/film/reviews/f ... 234829705/

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Nope, it sucks.

Joanne made me turn it off after 10 minutes. I returned to it later, got through another 5, then decided to call it quits.

It's unfortunate Mel seems to have no better QC over his direct-to-video cheapies than Bruce Willis before him.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:10 pm Joanne made me turn it off after 10 minutes. I returned to it later, got through another 5, then decided to call it quits.
That's a less-than-ringing endorsement!