WONDER WOMAN 1984 - Delayed to Christmas

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: WONDER WOMAN 1984 - Delayed to Christmas

#46 Post by Eric Paddon »

It's tragic to me that Gadot, who has such a quality of total *rightness* in the part as much as Carter did, couldn't have done the role in a traditional WW2 origin story. But it always struck me as obvious that they wouldn't allow any pro-America flag-waving to be in any film of theirs.

AndyDursin

#47 Post by AndyDursin »

Hans Zimmer's score is, no joke, a massive improvement on the score from the first movie. Big, melodic, orchestral to a degree a lot of his recent work hadn't been, no wailing guitars...he's kind of on his A game here. Not that I'd buy it, but still a sizable enhancement and one of his more "tuneful" works in a long time. Clearly he was invested in bringing a more "upbeat" sound to this film and it shows.

The movie is a mess, unfortunately. And boring.

John Johnson

#48 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 pm Hans Zimmer's score is, no joke, a massive improvement on the score from the first movie. Big, melodic, orchestral to a degree a lot of his recent work hadn't been, no wailing guitars...he's kind of on his A game here. Not that I'd buy it, but still a sizable enhancement and one of his more "tuneful" works in a long time. Clearly he was invested in bringing a more "upbeat" sound to this film and it shows.

The movie is kind of a mess, unfortunately. And boring.
Did you stick around for the cameo at the end?
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#49 Post by AndyDursin »

I fast forwarded through to the end, yes.

When Zimmer's score is the best thing in the movie.... :shock:

AndyDursin

#50 Post by AndyDursin »

My review's in the other thread and I'll be posting it later on the front page. I think misfire may be an understatement to how bad this movie is.

I fell asleep twice before finally giving up and fast forwarding to the end. My wife fell asleep faster than I did, and the only reason she woke up is because I accidentally dropped the remote on her head. :lol:

John Johnson

#51 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#52 Post by AndyDursin »

OMG I could hardly get through that. So cringe-worthy :lol: :lol:

Johnmgm

#53 Post by Johnmgm »

No masks! Grandma killers!!!!

AndyDursin

#54 Post by AndyDursin »

lol, have the CoronaBros gone after them yet??

Monterey Jack

#55 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 pm Hans Zimmer's score is, no joke, a massive improvement on the score from the first movie. Big, melodic, orchestral to a degree a lot of his recent work hadn't been, no wailing guitars...he's kind of on his A game here. Not that I'd buy it, but still a sizable enhancement and one of his more "tuneful" works in a long time. Clearly he was invested in bringing a more "upbeat" sound to this film and it shows.
Agreed. This is the first Zimmer score I would be interested to listen to outside of the film since...God, Kung Fu Panda 2? :shock: I would honestly put this in a "Zimmer Top Ten" list. The leap in quality between this and the first WW score is staggering.

The movie is...not good, but a diverting enough mess, and I was happy to see it on the big screen (accompanied by my brother, as we see most superhero movies together). Some of the action was handled very well (the opening gladiatorial conpetition, the Raiders desert chase), and Gadot remains a radiant presence, but the body-swap stuff seemed desperate to crowbar Pine into the proceedings, the Kristen Wiig performance was the same Selina Kyle/Edward Nygma/Electro "from zero to hero" transformation schtick we've seen a million times (Wiig looked surprisingly sexy in it, though), and Pedro Pascal's hammy performance was as bad as Jessie Eisenberg's take on Lex Luthor. :shock: Giving this a B-minus would be generous, but it was still fun in fits and starts.

AndyDursin

#56 Post by AndyDursin »

Generous??!? Omg. You are no longer allowed to give any of us grief for enjoying LEGEND or any other 80s fantasy movie you can't stand again after this!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul MacLean

#57 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:37 pm
Agreed. This is the first Zimmer score I would be interested to listen to outside of the film since...God, Kung Fu Panda 2? :shock: I would honestly put this in a "Zimmer Top Ten" list. The leap in quality between this and the first WW score is staggering.

Guess he's hired a new team of ghostwriters! :mrgreen:

AndyDursin

#58 Post by AndyDursin »

If you haven't seen the movie...this is all you need to see :lol:

Edmund Kattak

#59 Post by Edmund Kattak »

And if you didn't hear the score, this is all you need to hear:

Indeed,
Ed

Paul MacLean

#60 Post by Paul MacLean »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:09 pm And if you didn't hear the score, this is all you need to hear:

This score was my first exposure to Has Zimmer -- and tell you the truth I was really impressed! I don't know if he composed the whole thing or farmed-out portions to others, but to this day I don't think he's done a better score.

The film itself was also exceptionally good. It was on Youtube for a while but I guess the BBC had it taken down.