CROSSED SWORDS (1977) - Different Versions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

CROSSED SWORDS (1977) - Different Versions

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul, do you know anything about the US cut of this film?

Kino Lorber's Blu-Ray is out in March and I have a copy already.

It was licensed through Studio Canal, which controls the Salkinds' non-Superman library, and it has 2 versions:

-New scan of the 108 minute US cut in High-Definition, with Warner Bros. logo (in stereo)

-The 121 min. "International Version" in anamorphic Standard Definition, which was previously released on DVD (in mono)

It's interesting they got ahold of the US theatrical cut but I assume they own the movie outright so it was likely sitting in their vault -- it's a new scan with the MPAA logo and seeing as many people complained about the length of the movie, my guess is it's not necessarily a bad thing that some 13 minutes were removed in an effort to speed things up.

I have to be honest -- Jarre's score for this drives me up the wall. It has a lot of energy and a few nice moments but the faux "whistling" in the main titles and repetition of his central theme is like nails on the chalkboard. Too bad Michel Legrand or Henry Mancini or someone else didn't handle this one. Can't imagine it may not have gotten replaced had it been written for a studio movie too (especially a few years later). :shock:

The more I think about it, Mancini's GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE, WITHOUT A CLUE or PRISONER OF ZENDA score would've been perfect for this. And would've elevated the film accordingly. Too bad the Salkinds didn't get to him until SANTA CLAUS! :(

Paul MacLean

Re: CROSSED SWORDS (1977) - Different Versions

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:37 am Paul, do you know anything about the US cut of this film?
I've only seen the 121 min. cut which Anchor Bay released on DVD. I never saw the film in theaters -- despite the trailer's promise of "a free-for-all that's fun for all!" :mrgreen:

I have to be honest -- Jarre's score for this drives me up the wall. It has a lot of energy and a few nice moments but the faux "whistling" in the main titles and repetition of his central theme is like nails on the chalkboard. Too bad Michel Legrand or Henry Mancini or someone else didn't handle this one. Can't imagine it may not have gotten replaced had it been written for a studio movie too (especially a few years later). :shock:
Jarre's theme is without-a-doubt an "acquired taste" -- which is hard to acquire! But I have to say, I think the more introspective moments in the score are excellent -- particularly the scene where Oliver Reed and Mark Lester walk among the path to Hendon Hall, and the later scene where Reed finally accepts Lester as the king. The montage that closes the film is also well scored. But the action cues, well...

Agreed though, the film would probably have been better-served by a more "linear" Mancini score.

andy b

Re: CROSSED SWORDS (1977) - Different Versions

#3 Post by andy b »

Andy
This was put out as The Prince and the Pauper by 20th Century Fox in Europe.

It was sold along the lines of the Three and Four Musketeers films, but never really had the humour from those films.

While I never had anything to do with the USA release, I do know that on “sales screenings” it was a common complaint the film was too long. My best guess is that for a speedy USA release it was best to chip away at some of the extended chat and get back to the action. It is not always a good move, as that often makes the film “choppy” or almost one action sequence after the other, bit like an Italian western, not including the Leone films.

I guess along with the cut down running time the title was also changed, which I have to say we never had a clue why in Europe? The USA made it seem comical in their add campaigns and played up the word “Crossed” where we went along the lines of the adventure, as per Musketeers.

Can tell you that there was never a “part two” as there was for the Superman or Musketeers films, actors had become wise to the Salkind’s contracts & were fully aware that this was a stand-alone film.

Not seen it in years, I have never seen the short version only what was European released. It was a fun film that met and exceeded its box office potential at least in Europe.
Regards
Andy b