MOMMIE DEAREST "Paramount Presents" Remaster on Blu-Ray 6/1

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

MOMMIE DEAREST "Paramount Presents" Remaster on Blu-Ray 6/1

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Looking forward to THIS commentary track! :lol:
Newly restored from a 4K film transfer, MOMMIE DEAREST is presented in a limited-edition Blu-ray Disc™ with collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments. The Blu-ray includes a new Filmmaker Focus with biographer Justin Bozung on the film and its director Frank Perry, a new audio commentary with American drag queen Hedda Lettuce, access to a Digital copy of the film, as well as previously released bonus content. Special features are detailed below:

· Commentary by American drag queen Hedda Lettuce –NEW!

· Filmmaker Focus: Biographer Justin Bozung on director Frank Perry –NEW!

· Commentary by filmmaker John Waters

· The Revival of Joan

· Life with Joan

· Joan Lives On

· Photo Gallery

· Original Theatrical Trailer

Monterey Jack

Re: MOMMIE DEAREST "Paramount Presents" Remaster on Blu-Ray 6/1

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Never seen this...is it really "so bad it's good", or is it merely bad?

jkholm

#3 Post by jkholm »

It's been a while but I think it's more cringe inducing than laugh out loud (unintentionally) funny.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I had to look it up, because it's been a few years, but I reviewed the DVD back in 2006.

John nailed it -- it's definitely not "one of the worst movies ever made". It's actually quite well made. It does, however, carry a large camp following because of some overwrought scenes, Dunaway's vampy performance and a few prime lines of dialogue (hence John Waters' fandom and why they recruited a drag queen to do another commentary).

This was my review --
Not to be outdone in the camp department, Paramount has issued a new, “Hollywood Royalty Edition” of their 1981 cult classic MOMMIE DEAREST (**½, 1981, 128 mins., PG; Paramount) this week.

One of the quintessential camp titles of all-time previously found its way to DVD in a bare-bones 2001 effort from Paramount. The new disc is highlighted by commentary from filmmaker John Waters, who discusses his appreciation for Frank Perry’s bio-pic of Joan Crawford, with Faye Dunaway’s portrayal of the actresses’ terrifying descent into alcoholism and abuse of her adopted child Christina making for uneasy viewing at times. Certainly the movie is well-shot, capably scored by Henry Mancini, and compulsively watchable for its portrayal of the era, its stars, and the studio system that was to blame for many problems of the people who worked in it.

Hollywood voyeurs and fans of so-bad-it's-good cinema will savor Dunaway's melodramatic plunge from start to end, and Paramount’s new DVD clearly is geared towards that audience. In addition to Waters’ commentary, the new disc includes three fresh featurettes, touching upon the production of the movie (featuring interviews with producer Frank Yablans, Diana Scarwid and others) and its cult following with Waters and even Crawford impersonator Linsynka interviewed.

Technically the disc seems to contain the same a/v presentation as its predecessor. The 16:9 transfer is a bit on the grainy side but is generally acceptable, while the 5.1 Dolby Digital remixed sound is better than anticipated. The trailer ("Joan Crawford: the most dramatic role of her life WAS her life!") is included along with a brief photo gallery.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:30 pm I had to look it up, because it's been a few years, but I reviewed the DVD back in 2006.

John nailed it -- it's definitely not "one of the worst movies ever made". It's actually quite well made.
Yeah, it's a polished production, but it has overwrought moments. Some of the those moments are are definitely funny, others are just stilted -- and some are disturbing (as when Crawford beats her little daughter for using wire coat hangers). In the end though it's just not a very compelling movie.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I remember finding it kind of dull too. There are some funny moments like Paul says but I wonder if people today would find the overall story as hilarious given how the girl was abused, for real. That part of it was always unsettling but with more of an exposure on child abuse today, I'm not sure the whole thing has as much camp value as it did back then.

Anyway it's been 15 years, might as well give it another shot.

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

The best scene by far is when Crawford stands-up to the board of directors at Pepsi (and that scene is not really even that campy). It's almost worth watching the film just for that moment.

While thoroughly uneven and not that great, I'd say Mommy Dearest is still a better film than the similarly-themed Frances.

Years ago -- in the late 80s I think -- Christina Crawford appeared on Donahue (or was it Sally Jesse Raphael -- one of those shows anyway). Toward the end of the show, when they were taking questions / comments from the audience, this one woman excoriated Christina for besmirching Joan, who was (in the opinion of this woman -- who surely would have known) a wonderful person.
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Noticed that this is on Prime for free...may have to check it out.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

You might want to. Its not a movie everyone will want to own.