rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: rate the last movie you saw

#4021 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:00 am -The Blue Lagoon (1980): 3/10
Wow, you put-off this ordeal until now? :lol:

Agreed on all points -- cringey, unintentionally funny and truly boring. The funniest scene by far to me is when Atkins attempts to pray, and does a mash-up of the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Alliegiance! :mrgreen:

Monterey Jack

#4022 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:26 amThe funniest scene by far to me is when Atkins attempts to pray, and does a mash-up of the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Alliegiance! :mrgreen:
Oh, there's a buffet of unintentional hilarity in this. "Hoochie-coochie...!" :lol:

I only gave it a shot because it was free on Prime (with one of those annoying "Up Next" bubbles obscuring part of the end credits :x ), and because I wanted to hear Poledouris' lyrical music in context. I did realize that I had seen a brief bit of this on TV as a kid, when the kids turn over a dead Leo McKern and a crab crawls out of his mouth, causing the girl to faint and the boy to carry her back to the rowboat. It's an image that stuck in my head for years, but I never had a clue what it was from until now.

Still, it's a lousy movie. I can understand why hormonal teens made it a hit back in the day (although this would get "cancelled" immediately if someone influential on Twitter did a post about it today :roll: ), but it's a turkey. It makes you realize what a miracle Carroll Ballard pulled off with The Black Stallion, which mined a similar "coming of age on a pristine deserted island" concept but did it with grace, elegance, an inspired lack of dialogue and true heart, instead of using it to leer at an underaged Brooke Shields.

AndyDursin

#4023 Post by AndyDursin »

It did make a lot of money, but it always was something that I think was at best sold as a guilty pleasure to the masses. Most people knew it was a turkey going in -- it was all about the subject matter and Brooke Shields.

I think it's bad and completely agree with both of you on the merits, yet I personally I find it very watchably bad. The plot is awful(ly silly) but it looks great, it sounds great -- it's not something I watch repeatedly, but I do own it, and it provides an enjoyable view in the middle of winter. And then watch TOP SECRET again right afterwards!

Something that's bad but kind of irredeemably bad, with the same subject matter, was the Phoebe Cates/Willie Aames dud PARADISE which came out a couple of years later. That doesn't have the peripheral elements like Almendros' cinematography and Basil's score to support it as a guilty pleasure.

I bought RETURN TO THE BLUE LAGOON on Vudu a while back also but have never sat through it. That one was an actual sequel that Basil returned to score. One of these days I'll check it out, just to see Milla Jovovich in an early role.

I also bought some Blue Lagoon TV movie (unconnected to either previous project) , BLUE LAGOON: THE AWAKENING, that I did watch and it actually wasn't bad at all, albeit it was a PG-rated Lifetime TV movie. The plot was much more satisfying than the Brooke Shields movie (and the original story) -- it was like a sanitized modern teen movie but it worked better because of it (as I remember, they make it back to civilization and go to the prom at the end!).

But most importantly, the Aussie girl who was in it, no idea who she was, was cute! :mrgreen:

Eric Paddon

#4024 Post by Eric Paddon »

I saw Blue Lagoon once decades ago. Needless to say that was enough! I don't know what was worse for William Daniels in 1980, appearing that or in a hilariously awful "Galactica 1980" episode where he's in clown makeup the whole while!

I know I at one point had the original late 40s version with Jean Simmons downloaded from YT but never got around to watching it and I'm not sure I still have it. It's become something of a lost film by contrast.

Edmund Kattak

#4025 Post by Edmund Kattak »

I ran into Shields in 1988 while going into "RAMBO III" in the then Paramus Theater (where I saw Star Wars in 1977). With her height, I can easily see how she was cast at 14. She seemed semi-Amazonian next to me when I saw her live. :D
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#4026 Post by Monterey Jack »

It's a shame that Shields has all of the acting skill and charisma of a sodden sock, because she was a beauty in her day.

AndyDursin

#4027 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd love to see BRENDA STARR out in HD. That one sat on a shelf for years before getting dumped out -- after Timothy Dalton had already come and gone as 007 -- but it's not unappealing.

Eric Paddon

#4028 Post by Eric Paddon »

I dug out the 1949 "Blue Lagoon" on YT where a poor quality copy uploaded a decade ago is still there. Despite the poor quality of the print and a slow beginning, it turns into a nice film. Jean Simmons is absolutely radiant and the production era restrictions actually highlight the overall innocent nature of the story of young love developing in Paradise.

Paul MacLean

#4029 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:51 pm IJean Simmons is absolutely radiant and the production era restrictions actually highlight the overall innocent nature of the story of young love developing in Paradise.
Brooke Shields has nothing on Jean Simmons, who is one of the most dishy actresses to ever grace the screen.

Monterey Jack

#4030 Post by Monterey Jack »

-The Mothman Prophecies (2002): 9/10

Re-visiting this on the fine new Aussie Via Vision Blu release reminded me anew of just what an impeccable slow-burn freakshow this is. Showing little in terms of overt violence or monster effects, director Mark Pellington and screenwriter Richard Hatem nevertheless sift through John Keel's based-on-fact book and craft a movie that casts a pall of directionless unease over the viewer that is sustained with eerie effectiveness. Richard Gere has one of his best roles as John Klein, a Washington Post columnist who finds himself drawn -- by possibly supernatural means -- to the small town of Point Pleasant, West Virginia, where a series of sightings of a mysterious, red-eyed figure are haunting the populace. Assisted by the local sheriff (Gere's Primal Fear co-star Laura Linney, in France McDormand Fargo garb), they investigate the sightings by interviewing the locals (Will Patton is terrific as a man driven to quiet insanity by his encounters with the inexplicable), and find themselves drawn into a web of inexplicable coincidences, portentous omens, and possible connections with what lies beyond.

Thrown away as a "January Horror Movie" in the winter of 2002 (has it been nearly twenty years since then...?! :shock: ), The Mothman Prophecies is a film that uses Fred Murphy's innovative camerawork and atmospheric sound design (I wouldn't want to listen to "Tomandandy"'s score by itself, but it works effectively within its context) to create an almost suffocating sense of dread, with glimmers of authentic anguish (like Gere's attempts to figure out if his late wife, played briefly but hauntingly by Debra Messing, is trying to contact him) and buoyed by fine performances. It all culminates in a bravura climax where all of the film’s collections of oblique clues and allusions come together in a sequence boasting some superb miniature work (at the tail end of the era when you’d still see miniatures utilized in movies) and a shivery denouement. It’s like The X-Files in its early days, before it became puffed up with pretentiousness and had no allusions other than scaring the dickens out of the viewer. Shame that Pellington’s career never amounted to much after this (and his previous thriller, the tense, underrated Arlington Road), because this film is an absolute beaut, and one of the best and most overlooked post-2000 horror movies.

Eric Paddon

#4031 Post by Eric Paddon »

When Time Ran Out (1980) 1 of 10

-The theatrical cut was on YT which I know is much shorter than TV airings and older VHS releases. It's incredible to think that after "The Swarm" and "Beyond The Poseidon Adventure", Irwin could have made something even worse, but he did. And Warner, after going through those flops had thought they were getting something better this time by making it clear that Irwin couldn't direct. Alas, James Goldstone proved he wasn't the kind of director needed to elevate the material. And it looks like Carl Foreman and Stirling Silliphant just sleepwalked through writing a script that is a collection of recycled cliches from both "Poseidon Adventure" and "Towering Inferno" (complete with cast members), while all the location footage and casting took up all the money that was needed for decent F/X of which there are none. They look as cheap as a 1960s "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" episode. Unlike "The Swarm" which gave us a great Jerry Goldsmith score, Lalo Schifrin's score for this film is nothing special or memorable in the least.

-Paul Newman was just one of several who still owed Allen a movie and did it only to get the obligation out of the way. Years later, he derisively referred to it as "that volcano movie" as the only one he wished he'd never had to do and you can tell he's not happy to be there.

-This was the end of the line for Irwin in big screen films and by extension the whole disaster genre. It should have been put out of its misery much sooner.

jkholm

#4032 Post by jkholm »

Every so often I get the urge to rewatch a bunch of movies from the same year. It helps keep my movie watching consistent and I've found I can remember what I've seen better when there's a pattern I follow. Anyway, recently I've watched movies from 1997, mostly from the early summer. Here's a quick rundown from best to worst.

Breakdown *** 1/2
Excellent Hitchcock-ian thriller (already discussed by MJ earlier)

Hercules *** 1/2
Better than I remembered Disney film with great songs. It follows a formula but at least it's not an aggressively average Marvel movie formula.

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery ***
No masterpiece but still quite funny. Probably could not be made today.

Air Force One ***
Way more ridiculous than I remember but still watchable thanks in large part to its Truth in Advertising premise.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park ** 1/2
Some terrific set pieces but awfully perfunctory.

Batman & Robin **
Not as bad as the Internet says. I get what they were going for here but the script is terrible and Schwarzenegger is awful.

Speed 2: Cruise Control * 1/2
Started to regret my rewatch decision with this one. Astonishingly bad until the final half-hour which has some completely bonkers action scenes. I'm not sure if this is the worst sequel ever made or just the biggest gap in quality between a first movie and the immediate follow-up.

I'm also planning on revisiting the '97 version of The Shining which aired in late April/early May of that year. There were many SF/fantasy themed TV miniseries in May '97. Does anyone have any thoughts on either The Odyssey or the Michael Caine version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

AndyDursin

#4033 Post by AndyDursin »

I remember THE ODYSSEY being good, it was definitely one of the better Robert Halmi produced mini series. Good cast and production values. Sadly you may have to live with DVD on that. It's too bad there isn't a Blu-Ray box of it and some of his better efforts like JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS which was watchable and had a nice Simon Boswell score.

I never saw 20,000 with Caine but as memory serves the reviews were not good at all for it.

Edit -- this recentish blog review of The Odyssey sums up my sentiments:

https://www.simchafisher.com/2019/05/07 ... -gorgeous/

Paul MacLean

#4034 Post by Paul MacLean »

Wonder Woman 1984 (5/10)

I admit I didn't have high expectations for this movie. Still, I expected more than a two and a half hour remake of the old Twilight Zone episode "The Self-Improvement of Salvador Ross".

How is it that a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars can't buy better writing? Apart from the mundane and unoriginal premise, the script has other weaknesses, like poor character development, and unexplained plot ideas -- like who is the poor guy whose body Steve Trevor has suddenly inhabited? And why do Steve and Diana have no qualms about Steve appropriating the body of another human being? Yes, she eventually "renounces her wish" when she see how these wishes are destroying the world. But for most of the movie she and Steve have no care for the person whose body he is basically stealing.

Also, Steve has never flown anything more advanced than a 1915 biplane. How then is he able to pilot a sophisticated jet? Why would this jet -- which is a display at the Smithsonian -- have fuel in its tanks? Moreover why would it still have working engines, if (as a museum piece) it hasn't undergone regular maintenance?

The overall message of the film is clear -- accept your lot, to want to improve your life in any way is "greedy". Max Lord is an obvious caricature of Donald Trump, so the movie's political posturing was already out of date by the time it was released. :lol:

The effects are "fancy" but no better than any CGI work from the past 20 years. In fact Wonder Woman's dash down the highway looks no more convincing the Clark Kent outrunning the train in Superman: The Movie.

Hans Zimmer's score however is surprisingly adequate. Though he does bring back that slick, vulgar "Wonder Woman theme" (which does nothing to express her character) he at least spares us the electric cello this time. He comes up with yet another "inspiring" power anthem, but on closer scrutiny it's rather fluffy. The big climactic cue is just a ripoff of Morricone's Once Upon A Time in the West, but hey, if you're going to crib from someone else it may as well be one of the masters.

The only thing that makes this watchable is Gal Gadot, who is one the most attractive stars to emerge in recent decades, and whose sincerity and radiant beauty lights up every scene. But even she can't save this formulaic, gimmicky dud. I'd watch Supergirl before watching this again!

Monterey Jack

#4035 Post by Monterey Jack »

-The Woman In The Window (2021): 2/10