HDR flicker watching 4K movies

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
jkholm

HDR flicker watching 4K movies

#1 Post by jkholm »

I was watching 1917 tonight on a 4K disc and throughout the movie, a certain portion of the screen would go in and out of full HDR resolution. It was the same part of the screen and the same exact shape would get dark and then get light to match the rest of the image. I've seen this happen before, but only when streaming (and even then only on Disney +). I've never had it happen when using a physical disc. Is it my TV? Or the HDMI cable? I'm using an Xbox One as my 4K player.

AndyDursin

Re: HDR flicker watching 4K movies

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

That's a new one...sorry John I haven't experienced something like that before. Do you have any other devices other than the Xbox to test the content on so you can see if it's just some weirdness between the Xbox and your TV?

It could be your TV, I've never heard of half an HDR image not functioning before...but you never know. If there's some way you can get the content to the TV on another device first, then you can at least rule the Xbox out if it plays properly. And/or switch the cable and see what you get too.

jkholm

#3 Post by jkholm »

Well, I think I've solved the problem. I tested other 4K discs I own. 2001 looked perfectly fine. Mission Impossible 4 had some slight issues with the HDR getting dim and light. The menu screen for Superman was the worst with the image constantly shifting. I tried switching video settings to see if anything looked different and when i went to vivid, the fluctuation stopped. What was different about vivid? It had the backlight setting cranked to 100 and I had backlight on 60 or so on my calibrated setting. I went back to calibrated and increased the backlight and the screen looked much better.

Hopefully that takes care of things. I only own the one TV that has HDR so it needs to keep working. (and I just bought a new TV for our bedroom but I wanted to go small and cheap so it only goes up to 1080p.)

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Hope that's it! When using HDR as we all know the backlight needs to be cranked up to MAX on nearly EVERY one of these TVs, so that could be it.

Certain Warner 4K discs are also dim -- not 2001 so much, but GOODFELLAS is atrocious (really needs to be remastered) in that regard. SUPERMAN isn't all that amazing either in terms of 4K.

That's the thing that's so frustrating about HDR -- different studios encode at different brightness levels. Something really HOT from Sony (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS or GHOSTBUSTERS) has likely been mastered at a very different level than a Warner title. You'd think things would be more uniform in this new format, but they're not!! :twisted: