Paramount Delays All Major Releases Into 2022

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Paramount Delays All Major Releases Into 2022

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Wow. There's literally not one movie I cared about going to a theater to see or couldn't wait for it to show up at home.

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

Cutting me off from movies at the theater is like cutting an alcoholic off from booze. I can't do it. I'm LIVID I can't see Shang-Chi today because there's a goddamn inspector coming to see my apartment, so I can't get a matinee in. :x

You do you, Andy, and stop cheering on the death of the greatest art form of the 20th century.

Eric W.

#18 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:41 am Stop it with this "let all theaters die" shite. :x

I definitely don't want this. I just have long wanted some serious changes and improvements.

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

I just had to un-follow Scott Weinberg on Twitter over this crap ("I don't want to sit in a petri dish"), so I don't need this extra stress in my life with people postulating doom and gloom over the Delta Variant (and studios beginning to pussy out and push back movies again). Movies are all I have. I will never have a girlfriend, I have no people in my life, all I have are movies, and work, and more movies. Take away the "seeing them in a theater" part, and i will likely never see the sun again. :cry:

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:42 pm Cutting me off from movies at the theater is like cutting an alcoholic off from booze. I can't do it. I'm LIVID I can't see Shang-Chi today because there's a goddamn inspector coming to see my apartment, so I can't get a matinee in. :x

You do you, Andy, and stop cheering on the death of the greatest art form of the 20th century.
That's harsh, I'm not "cheering" anything on MJ. I'm just talking about reality.

I still wouldn't worry about it where you are -- a city like Boston will always have some theaters, so you will have options near major cities where there are lots of people around. But the way in which movies are shown for everyone else, and how many options you have to view them...it's not looking good. I can see lots of suburban theater mega-complexes closing down much like malls. I'm not hoping for that, but I am expecting it if this continues much longer.

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:42 pm Cutting me off from movies at the theater is like cutting an alcoholic off from booze. I can't do it. I'm LIVID I can't see Shang-Chi today because there's a goddamn inspector coming to see my apartment, so I can't get a matinee in. :x

But movies can still be created -- and exhibited -- regardless of what becomes of large projection spaces.

I fully appreciate the "electricity" of a screening in which the audience is so engaged they collectively cheer the heroics, or laugh at the jokes (or, conversely, when a film is so bad they laugh at the "serious" moments in commiseration) -- but those moments have been few and far between in the past decade.

For the most part I personally feel that, far from destroying the art form, cinema-quality home viewing has improved it.

And if I may be so bold, if one's need for the theatrical experience is a craving akin to alcoholism -- I strongly suggest one go "cold turkey" and learn to live without it.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

I just had to un-follow Scott Weinberg on Twitter over this crap ("I don't want to sit in a petri dish"), so I don't need this extra stress in my life with people postulating doom and gloom over the Delta Variant (and studios beginning to pussy out and push back movies again).
I don't think this has anything to do with the Delta variant, which is seemingly on the wane around the country. I just think it's a function of the overall marketplace that COVID has caused. In that way, I don't think it will be any better for Paramount next summer, they should've just released these.

Monterey Jack

#23 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:07 pm And if I may be so bold, if one's need for the theatrical experience is a craving akin to alcoholism -- I strongly suggest one go "cold turkey" and learn to live without it.
Then I have NOTHING. NOTHING to make me leave my domicile except the need to make money. My life has no meaning.

Paul MacLean

#24 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:19 pm
Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:07 pm And if I may be so bold, if one's need for the theatrical experience is a craving akin to alcoholism -- I strongly suggest one go "cold turkey" and learn to live without it.
Then I have NOTHING. NOTHING to make me leave my domicile except the need to make money. My life has no meaning.
Well, Jack, my advice would be to try and find something meaningful. It isn't easy I know. But there are clubs, classes, houses of worship -- all kind of places where one can become part of some kind of community. Movies are awesome, and I understand going out to the movies can keep one from going stir-crazy. But while spending time at the cinema is a "shared experience" for the people in attendance, it isn't ultimately an interactive one. It doesn't provide the kind of human interaction -- the being part of a community -- which is vital for all of us.

I do understand where you are coming from -- I work 11 hours or more a day. I haven't been to a party in years. I've had one vacation in the past two years (and that was only 4 days). Even if I wanted to go to a movie -- I barely have time to!

BobaMike

#25 Post by BobaMike »

MJ: a few suggestions:
Volunteer at a local library. Or homeless shelter. Or a boys/girls club. Or volunteer to go into a public school and be a book buddy for a youngster. Join a trivia league at a bar. Help out at an animal rescue. Does your theater have a film club? (my Alamo has one which meets regularly). Go to church. Join a historical society (you're in Boston right? There must be tons) Help out at an old folks home. Take a painting class. Go to a bingo night at a firehall.

Many of those places are a good place to meet people that isn't at a bar. People as in new friends, connections that could lead to a better job.

I feel like people here have told you these things before, though, so at some point, if you want things to change, you must bring about the change. Life doesn't get better without you being proactive.
Sitting and watching movies, which all of us here love to do, doesn't actually make anyone's life better. Movies are just an escape *from* life.

Good luck!

Monterey Jack

#26 Post by Monterey Jack »

Can't do anything without a car.

jkholm

#27 Post by jkholm »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:49 pm Can't do anything without a car.
I am legally blind and haven't driven a car since 2003. If I want to get somewhere on my own, I have to either use my bike, Uber/Lyft or public transportation. I've found that if your will is strong enough, you will find a way to get to where you want to go. Before I got to work from home, I took two buses and one train each way to get to work. I've ridden the Megabus to Austin, took a train 30 miles just to go to a really cool used bookstore and one time rode 5 miles each way on my bike to get to an arcade. (Kind of regret that last one as that was a lot farther than I thought and then my bike light went out on the way home.) My point is you can do a lot without a car. This may sound awkward, especially coming from someone you've never met, but i really do hope the best for you.

Eric W.

#28 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:49 pm Can't do anything without a car.

Uber and Lyft? Taxis? (I know there is a cost issue here. Just throwing these out.)

jkholm wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:39 pm
I am legally blind and haven't driven a car since 2003. If I want to get somewhere on my own, I have to either use my bike, Uber/Lyft or public transportation. I've found that if your will is strong enough, you will find a way to get to where you want to go. Before I got to work from home, I took two buses and one train each way to get to work. I've ridden the Megabus to Austin, took a train 30 miles just to go to a really cool used bookstore and one time rode 5 miles each way on my bike to get to an arcade. (Kind of regret that last one as that was a lot farther than I thought and then my bike light went out on the way home.) My point is you can do a lot without a car. This may sound awkward, especially coming from someone you've never met, but i really do hope the best for you.
Wow, my hat is off to you. :)

Paul MacLean

#29 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric W. wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:22 am Wow, my hat is off to you. :)
Yeah, same here!

mkaroly

#30 Post by mkaroly »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:25 pm
Eric W. wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:22 am Wow, my hat is off to you. :)
Yeah, same here!
Same from me as well!