James Wan's MALIGNANT - September

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

James Wan's MALIGNANT - September

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

After the mysterious unannounced nature of this project, I was hoping for something fresh from Wan but frankly this looks like one too many trips to the well for him...utterly predictable, like any number of run of the mill horror outings.

Too bad, but that's 2021 in a nutshell.

Monterey Jack

Re: James Wan's MALIGANT - September

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Wan directing a horror movie = my ass in a seat (and the third Conjuring definitely missed his magic touch).

AndyDursin

Re: James Wan's MALIGANT - September

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Conjuring 3 missed him but the script they shot sucked and would've been bad regardless of the director. It needed him to do a thorough rewrite more than anything else.

This movie looks lame. Maybe it'll have some surprises but there aren't any within these 2 minutes: same jump scares, same formula, another "character" driving the horror so they can start another franchise. Is it her? Is it her evil undead twin? I mean there's like nothing here we haven't seen before. If it didn't have his name on it, it'd be like any one of a thousand rote Lionsgate horror movies.

AndyDursin

Re: James Wan's MALIGNANT - September

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Warner not waiting a year to push Halloween home video sales for this one, apparently:

jkholm

#5 Post by jkholm »

I've been seeing a lot of reviews on Letterboxd trashing this, people saying it is excessively gory and poorly written but others liking it for those exact same reasons. Nearly every review mentions a twist in the third act that is completely bonkers. I assume MJ will watch it this weekend. Looking forward to his review.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I noticed lots of bad reviews out there. I had no interest after that trailer lol

Obviously Warner knows it's not going anywhere which is why they already designated a home video release a month from now.

After this and Conjuring 3 looks like Wan's midas touch in the horror genre is gone.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Well after hearing how crazy it gets I may just check it out after all. Not a fan of "body horror" though.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

jkholm wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:13 pmNearly every review mentions a twist in the third act that is completely bonkers.
Professor Quirrell.

I'll leave it at that. :lol: