TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3 Coming to 4K UHD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3 Coming to 4K UHD

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Now we're talking 8)

Monterey Jack

Re: TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3 Coming to 4K UHD

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Third HD purchase (after the Best Buy exclusive and the previous Kino release), but this is a movie that deserves it. 8)

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

HD is 1080p and this is 4K though -- different format releases aren't "double dipping". Plus Kino's Blu-Ray is also several years old now so it won't even be the same master. 8)

Eric Paddon

#4 Post by Eric Paddon »

I feel very reluctant to go the route of another format all over again which requires a new player, new TV etc. for me but since I'm on the verge of moving in the next couple months, maybe I should.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

If you're moving and have some more space TVs are ridiculously affordable and you can get a perfectly good 4K model for not a hell of a lot Eric. I helped Paul get a good Hisense 65' 4K set and I think it wasn't much over $700. Yes you can find even cheaper but quality does go down on the most modestly priced.

Players are also pretty inexpensive too. You can get 1776 on 4k in a few months also!

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

I'm actually going to have less space since I'm selling my parents house and moving into a condo/apartment for the next year or two (after which I'll probably move out of NJ altogether). The TV I have is ancient, but whether I can justify getting a big one when I'll have less space to cover my entire collection is what I'm not sure of. I've been tossing out a lot of books and for the first time am getting rid of CDs by donating a batch to a community rummage sale (SAE did give me $13 for three titles). DVDs and Blu-Rays I'm not downsizing.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

It's worth buying a larger set. New way to enjoy what you have, etc. If you get to that point and need recommendations I'd be happy to assist.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Andy, I've never seen this movie! :lol:

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

See your patience has paid off, now you can see it for the first time in 4K!!

Seriously is it just me or how has Paul NEVER SEEN THIS GREAT MOVIE. :lol: :mrgreen:

BobaMike

#10 Post by BobaMike »

Man, I just bought this on blu-ray a few months ago!

Great movie, great cast, great score, great plot, and a great final shot!

Not that I was ever there, but when I think of NYC in the 70s, THIS is how I picture it. The city looks dirty, but not too scummy. All the bit players seem like real people.

Way better than the French Connection (which it is superficially similar to). No dower ending, likable characters, and a good car chase to boot!

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

BobaMike wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:44 pm Man, I just bought this on blu-ray a few months ago!
Happened to me with High Plains Drifter...bought the Kino DVD in a sale last summer, just about two months later, they announced a UHD release. :oops:

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Great movie, great cast, great score, great plot, and a great final shot!
How good is the final shot? Like classic territory frankly. And the whole movie works.

The first time I saw this was renting the laserdisc when I was in high school -- and I was also the first person to show it to Lukas, who hadn't seen it (actually I'm not sure he had ever heard of it either), shortly after we met. I take full credit for that lol.