Deepdiscount/Imprint Sale - New Titles Added

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Deepdiscount 15% Off Sale, Includes $10 Imprint Titles

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes it's gone crazy at the moment! I ought to be getting a review copy of THE WARRIORS but I tried ordering it and it works...and so does everything else right now too. 8)

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

Hope it's a permanent thing, as I used to pre-order from DD all the time when coupons were available.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

I wonder if they just didn't set it improperly because it used to be, what, limited to "new" preorders or titles coming out within a few weeks/month? And a few hours ago it didn't work on ANY preorders...either way it'd be nice if it applied to all preorders as it used to.

Either way I still like ordering from DDD. Most of what I buy are imports -- I had no idea LASSITER with Tom Selleck was coming out from Umbrella -- and it's the best deal on any of those. Just have to know what titles to target. But these days I've been buying from them more -- and Amazon less. Same deal with international vendors...more indies and less Amazon. Deals just aren't what they used to be there.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Picked up TIMELINE (which is still available for $11) just for the hell of it, only to realize it actually has Brian Tyler and Jeff Bond interviews so that's nice. Hopefully the transfer is better than the 2.35 one I've bought twice on Italian and US releases already -- doesn't sound like it's great, but it's definitely going to be different since it's framed at 1.78 (non-anamorphic Super 35).

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

Monterey Jack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:59 pm Grabbed the Aussie releases of Bridges Of Toko-Ri (blind buy, but hey, Grace Kelly :D), Scarface '32 and Year Of The Dragon.
Got my order today, with immaculate slipboxes. :) Supposedly the Warner Archive release of Dragon looks a twinge superior to the Imprint release, but the copious new extras makes it worth owning both. I just wonder if their Scarface looks the same as the U.S. release.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

The Warner Archive scan of YEAR OF THE DRAGON is newer and it comes from different source only because the movie is owned by a different studio outside North America. MGM distributes the movie in most international markets so they struck their own HD master a few years ago, independent of Warner (which has U.S. rights through Turner's pre-1985 MGM library).

That's one of those independent Dino DeLaurentiis productions where rights are split up depending on what country you're in. The colors are a little richer in the Warner Archive transfer, but I've A/B'd them before, it's not a drastic enough difference to own both, and I ended up keeping the Imprint release because of the extras. The MGM HD master is certainly acceptable on its own terms (who knows maybe the movie's colors are more accurate in the MGM transfer).

SCARFACE is licensed from Universal so there's no split rights at play, it's the same source/transfer. The only difference would be compression/encoding but I looked at it, and it looked fine to me. Only the Paramount titles Imprint gets seem to have those encoding issues (noise etc) for whatever reason.

Monterey Jack

#22 Post by Monterey Jack »

Thanks for the info. :) Looks like I can safely unload my WA Dragon then. The Imprint release has far better cover art anyways.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, I mean, check it yourself...at least when I looked at them, I didn't see enough of an improvement in the Warner release to warrant keeping 2 copies of the movie.

Sometimes there are differences worth noting -- the Archive LADYHAWKE is notably superior to the international Fox Blu-Ray; while RED SONJA looks a lot better in the Studio Canal transfer outside the U.S. than the Archive's release, which comes from a noisier, and less healthy looking, print.

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Note code PLUNGE works for 10% off if you haven't used it yet!

New titles added:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/blowout-bi ... bledateNew

THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST (highly recommend)
HAUNTED (highly recommended sleeper)
LET IT RIDE (good extras but the Paramount US disc has a better transfer)
REGARDING HENRY
DAYS OF HEAVEN
MOTHMAN PROPHECIES
ALFIE

Also a number of Intrada & other soundtracks, cheap!

https://www.deepdiscount.com/blowout-bi ... bledateNew

sprocket

Re: Deepdiscount/Imprint Sale - New Titles Added

#25 Post by sprocket »

Thanks for letting me know about this sale, Andy. :)

I picked up quite a few IMPRINT releases, as I have none just now.

From WOWHD.CA (which was mirroring DDs low prices in Canadian dollars).

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Rage
The Chalk Garden
The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan
The Mothman Prophecies
and maybe The Bridges at Toko-Ri if they can find a copy in the back room (they charged me for it, but it wasn't shipped).

I also took advantage of the JB HiFi "2 for 1" sale to get the following:

Chinese Box
When Worlds Collide
Danger Diabolik
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
Last Train From Gun Hill
Conquest Of Space
Black Sunday
The Face Behind the Mask

Now I have to actually go to DD and take a look at those CDs. :D

Monterey Jack

#26 Post by Monterey Jack »

Hell with it, grabbed on Imprint Blu...

-Days Of Heaven (have the Criterion Blu, but this has a lot of exclusive extras)

-Haunted *

-The Two Worlds Of Jennie Logan *

...plus, on CD...

-The Last Castle (Goldsmith)

-Sliver (Shore)

-Enola Holmes (Pemberton)

-The Secret Garden (Marianelli)

* Blind buy

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

You're welcome Sorocket

MJ -- I really liked HAUNTED. It has a lovely Debbie Wiseman score and a really nice low-key British ghost story feel, it's very "stately" like a BBC production. Movie never played in theaters here but I rented back on laserdisc and it's a definite sleeper few people seem to know about. Coppola was a producer but it was directed by Bond vet Lewis Gilbert, who must have been close to 80 at that point. Plus young Kate Beckinsale in one of her first lead roles, long before she became a plastically "enhanced" Barbie doll!

Oh and I recommend the 1.66 aspect ratio on it too. (The Imprint disc has that and a 1.85 version supposedly with "different color timing" but I couldn't see any difference between them outside the 1.85 version is cropped)

Didn't really care for TWO WORLDS OF JENNIE LOGAN -- kind of lame late '70s TV movie -- but at least it has Lindsay Wagner!

Monterey Jack

#28 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:37 am You're welcome Andy!
Of course, many thanks. :oops:

My order shipped tonight. :)

sprocket

#29 Post by sprocket »

I was busy yesterday, making an order at DD

CDs
The Eiger Sanction (Expanded)
Colossus: The Forbin Project

Blus
The President's Analyst
Haunted

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:09 pm
AndyDursin wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:37 am You're welcome Andy!
Of course, many thanks. :oops:

My order shipped tonight. :)
Oh lol I meant to direct that to Sprocket sincerely, I got him mixed up with AndyB. Didn't mean to be a wiseass!!