Disney+ Light and Magic

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Disney+ Light and Magic

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Has anyone been watching Light and Magic? I was more interested in the early episodes, around the Star Wars, and wondered, if they would address the Elephant in the room that was Battlestar Galactica. Well, they did, but not too much. I think we are aware on what went on during filming of the original Star Wars, and I felt Dykstra was sidelined because of this and Galactica. Anyone else pick up on this?

London. Greatest City in the world.

BobaMike

Re: Disney+ Light and Magic

#2 Post by BobaMike »

I'm about half way through this show- it's pretty good. For an official show, they delve into the negative parts of ILM more than I expected. The behind the scenes stuff is great. I have all the ILM books, and there is so much never touched on, that they talk about.
I do wish they spent more time on some things. They never talk about "go-motion" for example, where they make stop motion animation have motion blur. (I think done for dragonslayer).

As for the Battlestar Galactica stuff, Dykstra came across fairly in the documentary I think. I imagine the people have all patched things up somewhat since then (considering Dykstra came back to do the interviews), so maybe they didn't want to dwell on it too much.
It always cracks me up that they had John Williams preview the score to see if it was ripping off Star Wars.

I was happy to see them spend so much time talking about matte painting (my favorite type of FX), and always enjoy heaing from Joe Johnston, who I think is the unsung hero of Star Wars.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm glad to know this isn't just some fluff Disney infomercial like nearly every "reality"/documentary program on their service. Might have to check it out if I can stomach the self-congratulatory element.

Sad this is what Kasdan has been relegated to in his twilight years though!

BobaMike

#4 Post by BobaMike »

There is some fluff, but not too bad. It's not like some of the Marvel docs.

I enjoyed seeing George Lucas himself speak pretty candidly (and looking in better shape- he lost a few pounds in the neck area!). The archival footage of him at ILM during the early days is pretty interesting.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Seems like some sort of "make good" to the old guard on Disney's behalf...I wonder if it's not being tossed out there before/if Kennedy gets her way and remakes A NEW HOPE from a modern feminist perspective. Then we would probably see George get REALLY candid :twisted: