Powerhouse Indicator Sale

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
BobaMike

Re: Powerhouse Indicator Sale

#16 Post by BobaMike »

Any advantage to getting the Harryhausen box set of the Sinbad movies vs getting them separately? 3 for 15 individually, but 27 for the set. I can't find any special about the box set.

sprocket

#17 Post by sprocket »

BobaMike wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:27 pm Any advantage to getting the Harryhausen box set of the Sinbad movies vs getting them separately? 3 for 15 individually, but 27 for the set. I can't find any special about the box set.
Looks like there is an 80 page book with the box set.

Also look at the ACCESSORIES page to buy overrun booklets and books.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/colle ... ccessories

Just be aware that the limited edition booklets don't fit in the standard edition cases. The LE cases are a different size.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

BobaMike wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:27 pm Any advantage to getting the Harryhausen box set of the Sinbad movies vs getting them separately? 3 for 15 individually, but 27 for the set. I can't find any special about the box set.
Yes the limited Sinbad set has a really nice booklet with extensive liner notes and pretty box-set packaging. There's some neat info in there about the SINBAD GOES TO MARS movie Harryhausen never got to make, plus you get flip covers also with alternate archival artwork...if you can swing it, I think it's worth it for the extra 12 gbps plus will have definite resale value down the line the standard discs won't ever have.

This is also the 2nd pressing of this box -- the original one which I have sold out years back and went for hundreds on the secondary market for quite a while until they did this new batch. (Indicator also did a pair of great Harryhausen Fantasy/Sci-Fi boxes which are long sold out, but the standard editions of those are also available)
sprocket wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:17 pm

Just be aware that the limited edition booklets don't fit in the standard edition cases. The LE cases are a different size.
It's weird, they seem to be the same exact size, but the layout is different in terms of how they're configured -- i.e. where the cover art is housed (meaning it's slightly slimmer in the standard case) and where the interior tabs are located (there's not enough room to put a booklet in the standard case because of added plastic housing).

Eric Paddon

#19 Post by Eric Paddon »

Amidst the anxiety of today over Internet service, my package arrived and I have met with success in ripping "Gray Lady Down" to my computer and thus, am able to now enjoy the commentary track and bonus features without having to ever contemplate getting a new region free player to accommodate watching them. I can ultimately create a new Blu-Ray disc of any of these titles.

The commentary, which to my surprise is done by someone who reviewed a Heston bio for all of things National Review, is pleasantly serviceable but it gets unfortunately too pedestrian. The commentator did not do in-depth research on the production history of the movie and thus has no knowledge of how the film differs wildly from its original source novel "Event 1000" nor has he studied the earlier drafts of the script which involved a subplot of concern that a Russian team might interfere with the rescue attempt. This had been excised at the request of the Navy which didn't want to play up any Cold War tension matters in the late 70s if they were going to provide cooperation (this also was responsible for ruining the film version of "Raise The Titanic"). Consequently this lack of insight as the film's production history means what we get in the end is more of a "fanboy" commentary that praises the film's plot and story (which I admit is refreshing because I've seldom heard this level of praise for the film) mixed in with general praise for the overall body of work of the actors, director David Greene and other production people (somewhat IMDB rehashing). After all the other commentaries I'd listened to that I had to shut off it was nice to hear one I could stay with, but I do think it is incumbent upon those who do commentaries to have pounded the pavement on things the average person is largely unaware of.

I'll be ripping "Midway" later and creating a new Blu-Ray of the TV cut.