THE EAGLE HAS LANDED - Andy's Imprint Blu-Ray Review

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED - Andy's Imprint Blu-Ray Review

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

6.5/10

Jack Higgins’ international bestseller THE EAGLE HAS LANDED (135 mins., 1977, PG; Imprint Editions/ViaVision), about a failed German plot to kidnap Winston Churchill in a quaint English village, became a sturdy – if unspectacular – thriller under the guidance of veteran director John Sturges. Michael Caine stars as the most sympathetic German in the cast, with Robert Duvall, Donald Sutherland, Jenny Agutter, Jean Marsh, Donald Pleasence, Treat Williams and Larry Hagman acting out screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz’s cinematic distillation of Higgins’ novel.

A box-office hit that played worldwide throughout 1977, the movie version of “The Eagle Has Landed” manages to be mildly satisfying because of its cast, yet multiple reports that Sturges left the film high and dry, not participating in post-production, is something that seems evident from the finished product. This is a movie that should’ve been a lot more exciting than it is, starting from a languid first half-hour comprised of dry introductory scenes, to a pace and tone that takes forever to settle in. This is underscored by the audience’s first meet-up with Duvall, Caine and Sutherland, where it doesn’t feel like we’re meeting characters, but rather actors with specific personalities inhabiting them.

Granted there’s always a suspension of disbelief involved with a film, but getting to the point where you believe what’s happening and become invested in the drama takes an inordinate amount of time here. There’s just an overall sense of urgency lacking in the movie and even its basic blocking of various scenes (Sturges’ direction is dull to a fault), and only in the movie’s last 45 minutes does “Eagle” finally kick into another gear and hint at the tremendous potential this material had.

Nicely shot in scope, “The Eagle Has Landed” was reportedly one of Mankiewicz’s favorite scripts, yet he – along with Michael Caine – blamed Sturges for the finished product being little more than the workmanlike outing that it is. Even Lalo Schifrin’s score (whose main title had to have been temp-tracked with Michel Legrand’s score for “The Three Musketeers”) isn’t overly memorable, making this a film that manages to work because of its assembly of stars from around the globe – and provided you come into it knowing the picture as a whole doesn’t live up to the talents involved in its production.

Imprint Editions’ two-disc Limited Edition Blu-Ray follows respective ITV and Shout releases in the UK/US from years back. The HD master (2.35, 2.0 stereo) seems to be the same as those discs though the compression is fairly good here and the stereo soundtrack is robust. The set also includes the movie’s Extended Version (151 mins.) on a separate Blu-Ray, marking the premiere of the longer cut in the format – note, however, this is sourced from the best-available ITV master, meaning it’s a standard definition upscale. The image at least is fairly clean (2.35, 2.0 stereo) and includes several discarded scenes of note, even though it prolongs an already slow-going opening act.

Extra features are, of course, enjoyable across the board. These include new commentaries, one on the theatrical cut by the prolific 60s/70s action-adventure duo of Steven Jay Rubin and Steve Mitchell, and a talk on the extended version with podcaster (and prolific TV producer) Phoef Sutton, C. Courtney Joyner, and Treat Williams joining in via teleconference. There also new featurettes with Kim Newman on the movie, plus a longer audio essay on Sturges’ career involving Daniel Kremer, Nat Segaloff and Michael Schlesinger.

We also get a feature-length, two-part assembly of recently conducted crew interviews courtesy of James McCabe which are nice to have, along with, on the second disc, recycled supplements from previous ITV DVD editions, with vintage interviews, location segments, and a Mankiewicz interview among them.

andy b

Re: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED - Andy's Imprint Blu-Ray Review

#2 Post by andy b »

The extended version was released on Blu Ray back in 2018 for the UK, so not really a premier as such. Not a bad copy, I was given a copy for some advice I gave them on the cuts. Think it was more of an up grade from the DVD master than an actual re-scan etc.

Here is the link.

As someone who worked on this for ITC, I can tell you that Caine is 100% right, Sturges basically called "cut" on the last shot announced that is a wrap, got in a car & left to go back to the USA!

It was Niven Jr & Caine who basically worked on the film to get it ready for release. Personally I think they did a good job.

Held two previews in the UK, one being the "long cut" & the other the shorter version, although still longer than the final USA release. It held up well but ITC wanted more showings per day to recoup their money, so it was cut down & then again for the USA.

Was always surprised that Lew Grade (owned ITC) never sold the long version to television, but it remained unused until the DVD era.

regards
Andy b

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

I'd been meaning to do this film for the "read the book, watch the movie" thread at some point because while the film is relatively faithful to the book it waters down somewhat the key subtext of the original which was to show German soldiers with a more human face. The film eliminated the subplot in which Steiner is forced into the operation because his father, an anti-Nazi general has been arrested and is being tortured by the Gestapo (he is killed after Steiner agrees to go on the mission). This is also why the climactic scene of Steiner confronting "Churchill" is completely different from what we see in the film, though I grant the book's version isn't cinematic. Joanna Grey's backstory as a Boer South African who had suffered at the hands of the British (which explains why she's working for the Germans) is also removed.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd be interested in hearing your breakdown Eric. Tom Mankiewicz noted in his book and this interview how great the Higgins novel was, but that there was no way not to lose sections of it as a feature length movie. He also credits Anne V. Coates the editor with saving the movie and making it watchable in post-production, that Sturges really sank it and prevented it from being better.
The extended version was released on Blu Ray back in 2018 for the UK, so not really a premier as such. Not a bad copy, I was given a copy for some advice I gave them on the cuts. Think it was more of an up grade from the DVD master than an actual re-scan etc.

As someone who worked on this for ITC, I can tell you that Caine is 100% right, Sturges basically called "cut" on the last shot announced that is a wrap, got in a car & left to go back to the USA!

It was Niven Jr & Caine who basically worked on the film to get it ready for release. Personally I think they did a good job.

Held two previews in the UK, one being the "long cut" & the other the shorter version, although still longer than the final USA release. It held up well but ITC wanted more showings per day to recoup their money, so it was cut down & then again for the USA.

Was always surprised that Lew Grade (owned ITC) never sold the long version to television, but it remained unused until the DVD era.
Thanks Andy, I wasn't aware of the later British Blu-Ray that had it in there. I'll correct it before I upload it online next week.

That Steelbook you worked on notes 1080i so obviously they didn't have a true HD element of that version available? That's too bad, but it is better than a DVD scan. Fascinating that they intended it for sale for TV broadcasts but it was first widely seen on DVD? That's wild!

What did you think of the new Shout Blu-Ray that has MARCH OR DIE and ESCAPE TO ATHENA? I was hoping they'd find the TV cut of the former which I guess had a lot of extra footage in there. But I wasn't moved to order it as I still have the old ITV Blu of ATHENA which isn't a particular favorite of mine either for that matter lol.

andy b

#5 Post by andy b »

Thanks Andy, I wasn't aware of the later British Blu-Ray that had it in there. I'll correct it before I upload it online next week.

That Steelbook you worked on notes 1080i so obviously they didn't have a true HD element of that version available? That's too bad, but it is better than a DVD scan. Fascinating that they intended it for sale for TV broadcasts but it was first widely seen on DVD? That's wild!

What did you think of the new Shout Blu-Ray that has MARCH OR DIE and ESCAPE TO ATHENA? I was hoping they'd find the TV cut of the former which I guess had a lot of extra footage in there. But I wasn't moved to order it as I still have the old ITV Blu of ATHENA which isn't a particular favorite of mine either for that matter lol.
Andy
I only saw an absolute terrible copy of March or Die, it was buried in a double bill with a film called The Domino Principle (that was then doubled with Love & Bullets a few months later), but was told by a friend who was actually on the production & the first cuts, that it was longer & they thought better. Escape From Athena I saw on a flight from London to LA, in the days when the film was shown on the bulkhead, so quite certain it would of been cut for airline use. So no real idea what the film was like. Not really bothered to pick up the Shout edition for either of them.

Can tell you a lot of ITC productions were overly long & Lew Grade never seem to mind too much as he was always looking to sell them to television companies. No idea if the extended USA cuts gave him the idea, but almost all the ITC films can or could be seen in much longer versions. One I did work on was Voyage of the Damned, which if I recall was about an hour longer than the release print. Not sure who owns that catalog these days, at one point it was ITV/Network / Granada Ventures in the UK? maybe they have all the complete prints.

The UK extended cut looks fine, but certainly not an HD, but it does look better than the DVD.

regards
Andy b