RIP Burt Bacharach - Appreciation Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RIP Burt Bacharach - Appreciation Thread

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

RIP to one of the great songwriters of the 20th century -- and whose occasional film soundtracks yielded a few classics like this...

Eric W.

Re: RIP Burt Bacharach - Appreciation Thread

#2 Post by Eric W. »

I'll admit that I didn't even know he was still alive. In any event the resume definitely speaks for itself. RIP.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

One of the best Oscar winning songs ever -- and here's a nice, rare live performance of it with Burt on the piano. Also have to give Christopher Cross credit, he always looked like he rolled out of bed and/or had beer and donuts for breakfast, but what a unique voice that didn't need "production":

Excellent Andy Williams medley with Bacharach conducting the orchestra:

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

Truly one of the most gifted composers out there. And a big HELL YEAH! to Arthur's Theme...great tune. The Carpenters recorded a medley of BB/Hal Davis songs. And it was The Carpenters that made (They Long To Be) Close To You the hit that it should have been...one of the greatest songs BB/Davis ever wrote (I have a bias here...lol...). RIP Burt...big loss.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Man you said it Michael, CLOSE TO YOU...wow.

The Bacharach songbook is vast, but I always liked this one -- FINDER OF LOST LOVES, the theme for a short lived ABC series that became a hit adult contemporary single for Dionne Warwick. Here she's paired with Glenn Jones -- note the expanded album for this one that came out a couple of years ago has some demos on it including Warwick singing with Luther Vandross on the same tracks instead.

Haunting melody and beautifully arranged too.

This live version with her alone is just great:

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

Wrote one terrific Broadway musical, "Promises, Promises" and sadly never did another one because he found it too daunting to do. And unfortunately that meant one less talented composer to head off Broadway's decline in the 70s as the old guard got long in the tooth and the newer generation was turning to cacophonous rock musicals and revue shows and content unworthy of what preceded it.

esteban miranda

#7 Post by esteban miranda »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:13 pm One of the best Oscar winning songs ever -- and here's a nice, rare live performance of it with Burt on the piano. Also have to give Christopher Cross credit, he always looked like he rolled out of bed and/or had beer and donuts for breakfast, but what a unique voice that didn't need "production":

Excellent Andy Williams medley with Bacharach conducting the orchestra:

Wow!
I don't even listen to pop music and I've heard all these songs.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Glad to see you're still on the board Esteban! :)