SUPERMAN I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K UHD - April 17th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SUPERMAN I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K UHD - April 17th

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Original theatrical artwork -- what a concept!

Transfer of SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE is supposed to be all-new, looks also to be theatrical version only. Will see about the soundtrack and if it has the 70mm 5.1 repurposed as Atmos.

The pricey Steelbook set is an Amazon exclusive (and looks spectacular):

Edmund Kattak

Re: SUPERMAN I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K UHD - April 17th

#2 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Man of Steelbook.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Indeed, there is a regular version also available, but that artwork is awfully nice.

Edmund Kattak

#4 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:11 pm Indeed, there is a regular version also available, but that artwork is awfully nice.
It's these kinds of packages that make it worthwhile. Nevertheless, I am curious about the first movie. Was it mentioned here before about the transfer complaints about the Superman UHD? I can't remember where.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

It could've been, the transfer on the first UHD of SUPERMAN 1 isn't a "problem" but it's not that hot. It's a little drab and the color timing is just...it's just all kind of "meh". There was a feeling the movie needed more restoration than it received as well.

Supposedly this is a new scan with re-done color timing -- but there's yet to be a formal PR release so that's just optimism on the part of an "insider" who has been saying right along Warner was going to use this UHD release as a chance to strike a new 4K presentation that corrected some of the first UHD's shortcomings.

Now, the other big question is will it have the UHD's exclusively restored six-track 70mm mix, which even though it was in "lossy Dolby Digital 5.1," was by far the best mix of the movie ever. It has crisp separation and none of the "echo-plexing" from the old 2-channel Dolby Stereo mix -- supposedly they discovered it at some point after the Blu-Rays were released which is why only the UHD has it. (This is different than the boomy Atmos remix done for the Director's Edition Blu-Ray which had a lot of new sound effects work done).

Whether that's the source of this NEW UHD's Atmos track is going to be interesting. Hopefully it's on there one way or another. 8)

esteban miranda

#6 Post by esteban miranda »

Not that I'm going to buy it, just trying to make it add up. How is Superman I-IV 5 films?

mkaroly

#7 Post by mkaroly »

It looks like Superman II has the Donner cut as well as the theatrical cut? Is that right Andy?

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Exactly Michael, it has the Donner Cut and the "real" II (at least in my mind lol), so that's how they call it 5. It's really more like 4 and a glorified deleted-scenes reel. :mrgreen:

It's interesting SUPERMAN RETURNS isn't in there -- especially seeing as it was in the previous Blu-Ray anthology. The only thing I can surmise is the combination of Singer and Spacey's off-screen "activities" makes it a movie they don't want to have anything to do with right now.

The bad news is it means this set doesn't have the bonus disc with that excellent Kevin Burns Superman documentary that was made around the time of RETURNS' release, but you can find it on the old set, or buy the DVD/streaming version for cheap.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

So here's the deal: that awesome 5.1 track exclusive to the UHD that was apparently derived from 70mm showings or what not?

It is NOT in the 4k UHD in this box, its been replaced with the standard old 2.0 Dolby track. And I can confirm it because the new pressing is already in the UHD standalone of Superman 1 you can buy on Amazon

What worse...the transfer is THE SAME as the old UHD. So is the Atmos track. Whatever restoration allegedly happened, they are saving for another time.

So keep the old UHD or track down a copy of it if you want that track.