TETRIS - Trailer - March 31st (Apple+)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TETRIS - Trailer - March 31st (Apple+)

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Hope this is decent, the actual story was fascinating without all kinds of dramatic embellishments!

Paul MacLean

Re: TETRIS - Trailer - March 31st (Apple+)

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:43 am Hope this is decent, the actual story was fascinating without all kinds of dramatic embellishments!
Watching the trailer, I was wondering if the actual story was this fraught with danger and intrigue.

Looks entertaining in any case.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed, but I think most of the core elements are indeed true.

Producer Matthew Vaughn had the same concerns when he read it --
“I was sent the screenplay. I didn't believe it. I was like, what moron came up with this idea, making a sort of a political Cold War thriller about Tetris? And then I got told everything happened and it was real. So then I went, “Okay, we better make the movie then. If this really did happen, let's make it.” Then I got to meet the characters in real life. You know, the Russian that invented Tetris, the crazy American that literally went behind the Cold War curtain and risked everything and stole the bloody thing and brought it back to America. I said, “this is a great, great original thriller.” It’s sort of like imagine The Big Short meets Bridge of Spies. It’s sort of a crazy, unique story.”
https://collider.com/tetris-movie-story ... -comments/

Edmund Kattak

#4 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:19 am Agreed, but I think most of the core elements are indeed true.

Producer Matthew Vaughn had the same concerns when he read it --
“I was sent the screenplay. I didn't believe it. I was like, what moron came up with this idea, making a sort of a political Cold War thriller about Tetris? And then I got told everything happened and it was real. So then I went, “Okay, we better make the movie then. If this really did happen, let's make it.” Then I got to meet the characters in real life. You know, the Russian that invented Tetris, the crazy American that literally went behind the Cold War curtain and risked everything and stole the bloody thing and brought it back to America. I said, “this is a great, great original thriller.” It’s sort of like imagine The Big Short meets Bridge of Spies. It’s sort of a crazy, unique story.”
https://collider.com/tetris-movie-story ... -comments/
I remember that it was essentially stolen, but I've never heard the story on how before. I knew that a Russian guy did in fact create it, but at that the time the details were fuzzy. The Cold War geo-politics kind of usurped the basic story. But it sounds like the Russian programmer would have had it stolen by his own government anyway if money or intellectual property was involved. Only if you're a party industrialist do you get to retain that kind or property - at least at that time.
Indeed,
Ed