INDIANA JONES & THE DIAL OF DESTINY To Rival "John Carter" As Disney's Biggest Bomb

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: INDIANA JONES & THE DIAL OF DESTINY - "Frantic Reshoots" STILL On-Going

#136 Post by AndyDursin »

She's been dialed out! :lol:

This film is going to be awful. I think we all know it and recognize that, as I wrote before, we just want it to be a watchable mess instead of an infuriating one.

Has Mangold said there's a test screening yet?? I mean movies don't go $150 mil overbudget for nothing... :lol:

Monterey Jack

#137 Post by Monterey Jack »

The fact that it got delayed for a full year - when other studios were releasing movies they had been sitting on for two years last summer, like Top Gun 2 and Minions 2, and cleaning up at the box office - speaks volumes about how damaged a product this is. All I know is, there's going to be a LOT of "Y'know, Crystal Skull wasn't that bad...!" revisionism come July... :lol:

Paul MacLean

#138 Post by Paul MacLean »

I wonder if the soundtrack release will contain all of John Williams' music for the various iterations of this movie.

mkaroly

#139 Post by mkaroly »

Paul MacLean wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:49 am I wonder if the soundtrack release will contain all of John Williams' music for the various iterations of this movie.
I wish! Since it is Disney, I am guessing never...unless LLL gets their hands on it and does a three or four disc spectacular 20 to 30 years from now.

Monterey Jack

#140 Post by Monterey Jack »

Movie's gonna premiere at Cannes over five weeks before it opens, so if it's as bad as claimed, there's no way Disney will be able to keep a lid on the reactions.

Monterey Jack

#141 Post by Monterey Jack »

The new poster is admittedly nice...

Paul MacLean

#142 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:09 am The new poster is admittedly nice...
But the trailer not so much...

AndyDursin

#143 Post by AndyDursin »

4 credited writers. Lol. Wonder what part Koepp was hired to salvage.

John Johnson

#144 Post by John Johnson »

After liking the last trailer so much, I've gone back to original thought about the film. It doesn't look good. But I could be wrong.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#145 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like a whole lot of why did they ever bother. "A James Mangold Film" just seems so wrong to me.

It's going to play better with Marvel fans than folks who like Raiders. Totally fake looking, all digital, nothing resembling reality. But that's probably what Disney is going for. They don't even need Williams at this stage like the trailer illustrates. Surprised they didnt bring in the Zimmer drones and save some money.

They have spent so much money on the film it will probably be "presentable" but little more.

Also LOL at the Lucas and Spielberg "executive prodicer" credits. They had to pay them to put their names on it.

Edmund Kattak

#146 Post by Edmund Kattak »

I don't know - it's INDIANA JONES in the 1960's, man. I just threw up a little with Henry Jones Jr. riding what looks like the New York subway. If he waited a few years, Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam, and Hector Elizondo will show up. Then there goes the Dial of Destiny. And so much for paying homage to the 1930's serials.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#147 Post by AndyDursin »

Indiana Jones on the Pelham 123 :mrgreen:

Don't give them any ideas Ed!

This is what happens when studios get so "franchisey" they can't see what a series really is and means to people. I mean we all love Harrison Ford but Indiana Jones isn't and has never been about deep character development and "franchise lore". It's simply thrills, straight adventure out of the 1930s, etc. That's the core of what made Raiders successful.

Disney looks at this series and thinks you can remove all of that...Spielberg and Lucas too...and so long as Ford is there that it doesn't matter about the aesthetics, the storytelling, etc. as the era is so far divorced from what it was that it doesn't even resemble what came before. It's an odd calculus to make in terms of a series that is not built on vast character development but a homage to movies Disney doesn't want to acknowledge.

What they are giving us is a modern effects filled assembly line outing from Disney corporate. That's entirely what it is and will be. If you like that kind of thing, Ant Man 3 and all, then maybe it's for you.

Monterey Jack

#148 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:01 pm
Disney looks at this series and thinks you can remove all of that...Spielberg and Lucas too...and so long as Ford is there that it doesn't matter about the aesthetics, the storytelling, etc. as the era is so far divorced from what it was that it doesn't even resemble what came before.
Even the 1950s setting of Crystal Skull seemed at odds with the 1930s setting of the OT. Removing Spielberg & Lucas and only retaining Ford is kind of like those lousy spoof movies from the 90s that had Leslie Nielsen dutifully mugging away, but none of the madcap inventiveness that the ZAZ team brought to their best films. At the very least Crystal Skull had Spielberg's visual eye and shot framing keeping it within shouting distance of the first three. James Mangold's a talented filmmaker, but he's obviously between a rock and a hard place trying to ape Spielberg's style AND kowtowing to the Disney Overlords in delivering what THEY think modern audiences want, i.e. a fuddy-duddy old while male being put in his place by a much-younger, "progressive" female replacement. :?

Edmund Kattak

#149 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:50 pm
AndyDursin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:01 pm
Disney looks at this series and thinks you can remove all of that...Spielberg and Lucas too...and so long as Ford is there that it doesn't matter about the aesthetics, the storytelling, etc. as the era is so far divorced from what it was that it doesn't even resemble what came before.
Even the 1950s setting of Crystal Skull seemed at odds with the 1930s setting of the OT. Removing Spielberg & Lucas and only retaining Ford is kind of like those lousy spoof movies from the 90s that had Leslie Nielsen dutifully mugging away, but none of the madcap inventiveness that the ZAZ team brought to their best films. At the very least Crystal Skull had Spielberg's visual eye and shot framing keeping it within shouting distance of the first three. James Mangold's a talented filmmaker, but he's obviously between a rock and a hard place trying to ape Spielberg's style AND kowtowing to the Disney Overlords in delivering what THEY think modern audiences want, i.e. a fuddy-duddy old while male being put in his place by a much-younger, "progressive" female replacement. :?
I just watched CRYSTAL SKULL again in its entirety last Saturday. To be objective, it is missing the heart and soul of the first three movies that provided the proper emotional balance. CRYSTAL SKULL certainly had Speilberg's visual skill (The opening sequence with reflective shots against hubcaps of the other vehicles were pretty neat). The lighting and "Januscz-tradecraft" reminded me that I was watching a 50's B-movie of the likes of the "The Blob" or something - namely the opening 10 minutes of CRYSTAL SKULL. But that became very tiresome on my eyes and brain very quickly. Perhaps that style worked well in scenes like "A Whirl Through Academia," but it was hard on my senses. Overall, I liked the premise of the movie - if this movie was made in 1994 or so. But it did not seem to click in the year 2008.

Maybe CRYSTAL SKULL should have come out now. :mrgreen:
Indeed,
Ed

mkaroly

#150 Post by mkaroly »

One thing that irritates me about the new film is that the villains appear to be Nazis....again. Three of the five films therefore have Nazis as the primary enemy. Maybe the title of the film should be INDIANA JONES AND THE NAZIS (AGAIN). I understood it for the original trilogy, but as a one-off though it seems lazy. Anyway, even with a different villain I have zero interest in seeing it.