HEAT 2 Coming From Michael Mann

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

HEAT 2 Coming From Michael Mann

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Basically anything Michael Mann has made in the last 20 years has brought me the ZZZ's. But for the people excited by this...

Eric W.

Re: HEAT 2 Coming From Michael Mann

#2 Post by Eric W. »

I'm not feeling it. The feedback on the book was a mixed bag and I find myself saying the same thing I did about all the prequelitis:

What's with all the way too late/after the fact sequels where we bring back everyone as halfway to the nursing home and the rest of it?

Does everyone want to see that? It's depressing. It sucks. "You can't go home again." Get some new ideas.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric W. wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:19 am What's with all the way too late/after the fact sequels where we bring back everyone as halfway to the nursing home and the rest of it?

Does everyone want to see that? It's depressing. It sucks. "You can't go home again." Get some new ideas.
Plus, this is post-90s Michael Mann, where the movie will be shot on digital cameras that'll make the image look like pixelated mush. When you compare to Dante Spinotti's gorgeously FILMED imagery from the first, it'll look like garbage. :(

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, I mean, the whole film vs. digital thing is real for me. I watch a general film today and it looks like it was shot on my cell phone. There's just so little artistry now -- the issue of how film provided a "canvas" to give movies a "cinematic" look is something I didn't think would be such a big deal, but really, it is. At least for me, and I'd imagine many movie buffs.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:33 am Yeah, I mean, the whole film vs. digital thing is real for me. I watch a general film today and it looks like it was filmed on my cell phone. There's just so little artistry now -- the issue of how film provided a "canvas" to give movies a "cinematic" look is something I didn't think would be such a big deal, but really, it is. At least for me, and I'd imagine many movie buffs.
There are well-shot movies done with DV cameras, to be sure, but the texture of authentic film is something that's been lost over the last 15 years. I miss seeing GRAIN in an image. And Mann is one of the most inept users of digital cameras I can think of. Public Enemies is technically a good movie, but the LOOK of it is so garish, I find it impossible to watch again, this meticulous, 1930s period drama looking like fuzzy video of fat people arguing in line at Walmart. :? How can someone who used to make movies as gorgeous as Manhunter and Last Of The Mohicans look at footage like this and go, "Beautiful! Print it...!"?

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

That movie was such a disappointment. Great premise, stars -- but boring and worthless.