Young Sherlock Holmes - Blu-ray

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Young Sherlock Holmes - Blu-ray

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Anyone heard of this company?

https://yes.b2bwave.com/products/view/145758
London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

Re: Young Sherlock Holmes - Blu-ray

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

One of those 80s genre films I have somehow never seen (although I've owned Bruce Broughton's superb score on CD for ages). I'll definitely give this a shot.

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

I remember wandering around some of the exterior sets after shooting had finished.
Last edited by John Johnson on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:27 pm One of those 80s genre films I have somehow never seen (although I've owned Bruce Broughton's superb score on CD for ages). I'll definitely give this a shot.
:shock:

The biggest box-office bust of all of Spielberg's Amblin productions considering when it came out and what was expected of it -- but it's still fun. Just let down ultimately by the heavy and unnecessary TEMPLE OF DOOM shenanigans which torpedo the late stages of the movie, regrettably.

The Harry Potter vibe is undeniable -- in tone, style and even visual aesthetic -- which is very curious, since Columbus wrote this and obviously directed the first two entries of the later franchise. It's one of the more interesting things about revisiting the movie, because even the set up of the movie, how the characters are introduced, etc., is very much like the early Harry Potters.

Handsomely shot and scored though with early CGI work from ILM.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'm embarrassed about how many "formative" 80s movies I haven't gotten around to until the last decade. :oops: Weirdly, as much as I inhale cinema now, I didn't watch all that many movies as a kid/teen. Granted, this was in the day when you were held hostage by whatever happened to be on TV or cable (and my family got into the rental thing late in the game, not getting our first VCR until Christmas of '89), but I read a lot more back then, even well into the 90s. It wasn't until getting access to the internet at the end of 1999 (and learning I could take the train to go to the movies, instead of having to bum rides from my brothers) that my reading went way down, and my movie viewing went way up, spanked along by the convenience and quality of DVDs compared to the fuzziness of VHS and inconvenience of side changes on laserdisc. I've watched more "new to me" 80s films within the last decade than I probably watched when they were brand new then (just today I sat through the highly amusing Earth Girls Are Easy on the excellent new Vestron Blu).

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:16 pm The Harry Potter vibe is undeniable -- in tone, style and even visual aesthetic -- which is very curious, since Columbus wrote this and obviously directed the first two entries of the later franchise. It's one of the more interesting things about revisiting the movie, because even the set up of the movie, how the characters are introduced, etc., is very much like the early Harry Potters.
The Potter connection is very conspicuous. And it isn't only that Columbus directed Young Sherlock Holmes -- I have a hard time believing Rowling was not influenced -- if only subconsciously -- by YSH. As you note, the introduction of the characters -- but also the boarding school setting, Sherlock's schoolmate / nemesis Dudley being a snooty, blonde-haired boy like Draco Malfoy. Plus, Harry's bullying cousin is also named Dudley, and while he has dark in hair in the movies, the books describe him as blonde.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

$17.99 preorder for the steelbook:

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

Release date for the standard release 27th June.

Edmund Kattak

#9 Post by Edmund Kattak »

John Johnson wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:51 pm Release date for the standard release 27th June.

I actually like that cover. The steelbook is nice nice though. I've been waiting for this since the DVD era.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

I much prefer the theatrical artwork on the steelbook and it's the same price. But whatever floats yer boat, at least it's not some terrible Shout artwork lol

The transfer though isn't anything to write home about. Not remastered and looks like an HD master struck during the DVD era. Wasn't treated like Dragonslayer that's for sure!