"Happy Made Up" STAR WARS Day!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

"Happy Made Up" STAR WARS Day!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

This has always irked me, since it's not the anniversary of STAR WARS actual release, or the release of ANY Star Wars movie. It's just a day of pushing Disney merch.

Went to Best Buy earlier today for the first time in a while and saw stacks of these sitting there -- Disney is so clueless they think people WANT their branding on top of this beloved franchise they had not a thing to do with in terms of cultivating or creating or enriching its success? And THIS movie especially?

Their ACTUAL historical contribution to sci-fi/fantasy in that era was this! :mrgreen:

AndyDursin

Re: "Happy Made Up" STAR WARS Day!

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Doomcock nailing it again:

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

I am taking him with a large grain of salt. It doesn't seem like any changes are 'really' happening at Disney. Maybe the Indiana Jones movie got changed as a result of the outcry, but KK is still in place and it appears SW is going to move forward in a way that will irritate many fans despite the rumors. I would not be surprised to find out some time later that Disney had a department solely dedicated to constructing storylines for rumors to smokescreen what was really going on.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:32 pm Their ACTUAL historical contribution to sci-fi/fantasy in that era was this! :mrgreen:

Andy, how could you forget this???

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

LOL where's the "Disney 100" release for that!! :lol:

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:32 pmDisney is so clueless they think people WANT their branding on top of this beloved franchise they had not a thing to do with in terms of cultivating or creating or enriching its success?
This is what I hate the most about Disney Hoovering up every franchise and rival studio under the sun...slapping their "brand name" on products they had no hand in actually CREATING, then having the unmitigated GALL to call out pre-Disney iterations of said brands for being racist, sexist, homophobic... :? It's like the director of No Time To Die dropping this gem right before that movie dropped...

Yeah, THAT will ingratiate the established 007 fanbase...! :roll:

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Along those lines --
"I think that was wrong. I went to see No Time to Die with my oldest boy, Frank, who is 30, and he said, ‘That felt like a Bond film made by people who are embarrassed to make a Bond film.’ You had to watch two films in advance to know who such and such is and you think, ‘Oh, **** off with that.’ Make it a new mission each episode and let him be Bond. They overcomplicate him.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Edmund Kattak

#9 Post by Edmund Kattak »

The exact origin of the "May the 4th Day" in connection with STAR WARS culture remains a bit of a confusion for me, but I've noticed over the years that as more of the mainstream bean eaters who were mocking me as a kid (and later adult) for being a fan have now suddenly have become super expert "uber" fans.

Maybe it's because they have kids of their own, but they often bring these "Did You know factoids" to my attention - as if they were the ape throwing the bone in the air for the first time. Usually, I'd pull out some 40-year-old copy of Starlog or a "Making of" book and quell their excitement with a "Yes, I did know that 40 years ago. Let's move on, please." I guess they wanted to look cool in their eyes for having been part the generation that created a cultural phenomenon. Whatever. I know there are many who truly want their kids to have that common bonding experience and excitement from their own childhood - and that's the real magic moment out of all this. But there was a point before Disney where this all started to become a hackneyed yearly ritual. Perhaps it started with the prequels or even post 97 SE reissues. Now, AGL (After George Lucas), this seems like a commercialized event that wreaks of hipster nirvana.

I had a rather wealthy older family member espouse the virtues of JJ Abrams first "Star Trek" movie by telling me one time that his high school friend told him that it was "the best Star trek movie" he's ever seen. And because he was told this, it must be.

I agreed that it had the best bad lens flares that i have ever seen.
Last edited by Edmund Kattak on Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:40 pm The exact origin of the "May the 4th Day" in connection with STAR WARS culture remain a bit of a confusion for me, but I've noticed over the years that as more of the mainstream bean eaters who were mocking me as a kid (and later adult) for being a fan have now suddenly have become super expert "uber" fans.
Forty years ago, some kid reading a Thor comic book at recess would get mercilessly mocked and wedgie'd by his classmates before they all went off to sneak into a showing of Scarface or Sudden Impact. Nowadays that kid is in their late 40s or early 50s and gloating over the fact that his silly comic book characters have taken over Hollywood, while anyone who wants an R-rated cop thriller, serious adult drama or even just a COMEDY is left wanting for 90% of the year.

The geeks truly HAVE inherited the earth. :(