Amazon "Prime Day" Movie Deals

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Amazon "Prime Day" Movie Deals

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Prime Day rolling out some good deals, though not a lot "new".

General movie/TV deals:

https://amzn.to/3PNsMVd

4K UHD deals:

https://amzn.to/44kYZr9

Edmund Kattak

Re: Amazon "Prime Day" Movie Deals

#2 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Yeah, you have to jump at it when it's there. I waited a couple of hours and one title was sold out and the other two had changed price.

On another note, Andy, I see the 4K BD of LION OF THE DESERT came out at some point. Have you seen this disc? Wasn't there a BD of this that came out a couple of years back?
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I have Ed -- Shout released both LION OF THE DESERT as well as THE MESSAGE [aka MUHAMMAD MESSENGER OF GOD] on 4K last year. The transfers are absolutely spectacular, and "Lion" is a halfway decent movie too. People speculated Shout was contractually obligated to release them in UHD as part of their "Halloween" deal -- who knows, but some effort clearly went into their restorations.

LION was previously released on Blu-Ray in an infamously cropped (I think it was 1.78), poor transfer which I never saw but I do remember the disc took a lot of flack (deservedly so). This is a full, new restoration and it looks superb. I think they're both on sale at $20 and LION is worth it IMO (THE MESSAGE I confess I've yet to sit all the way through!).

Edmund Kattak

#4 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:29 pm I have Ed -- Shout released both LION OF THE DESERT as well as THE MESSAGE [aka MUHAMMAD MESSENGER OF GOD] on 4K last year. The transfers are absolutely spectacular, and "Lion" is a halfway decent movie too. People speculated Shout was contractually obligated to release them in UHD as part of their "Halloween" deal -- who knows, but some effort clearly went into their restorations.

LION was previously released on Blu-Ray in an infamously cropped (I think it was 1.78), poor transfer which I never saw but I do remember the disc took a lot of flack (deservedly so). This is a full, new restoration and it looks superb. I think they're both on sale at $20 and LION is worth it IMO (THE MESSAGE I confess I've yet to sit all the way through!).
I did see LION OF THE DESERT back in the early 1980's on HBO when it was on every other hour. I know it well. The only aspect I didn't like was Rod Steiger's brief over-the-top performance as MUSSOLINI. Much beyond that, I liked Anthony Quinn and Oliver Reed's performances (as well as the movie overall). Of course, Maurice Jarre's score (London Symphony Orchestra?), channeling the Arabesque style of Lawrence of Arabia, but more centered on the drama than the grand imagery. I always thought that TV and home video never really did the movie justice. If the UHD is that good, then I have to get it. I never saw earlier-made THE MESSENGER, but always associated the two Moustafa Akaad movies as companion pieces. WIll have to check both out. Boy will this be a broke month. :D
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed, Jarre's score is terrific. Unfortunately I think you are going to have to pull the trigger Ed :) The transfer is just superb and so nicely detailed. They're both $20.99 at least for another hour :mrgreen:

I do think these are the lowest they've been (I paid around $26 ish last year, Shout didn't send review screeners to anyone for them).

Edmund Kattak

#6 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:07 pm Agreed, Jarre's score is terrific. Unfortunately I think you are going to have to pull the trigger Ed :) The transfer is just superb and so nicely detailed. They're both $20.99 at least for another hour :mrgreen:

I do think these are the lowest they've been (I paid around $26 ish last year, Shout didn't send review screeners to anyone for them).
Ordered! And used Amazon rewards points. Total Cost: $14
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »