The Star Wars directorial revolving door

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

The Star Wars directorial revolving door

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

Taika Waititi the latest filmmaker to have a proposed Star Wars movie explode on the runway.

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/54 ... tedly-dead

You have to wonder why ANY director would choose to make an SW movie at this point...even if it actually starts filming, at least 75% of it will eventually be heavily reshot and "massaged" by the Disney Overlords. :roll: It's astonishing how they haven't been able to get the franchise back up on the big screen for almost FOUR years now (an eternity by Disney standards).

AndyDursin

Re: The Star Wars directorial revolving door

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

A growing list to be sure...the GAME OF THRONES guys, Rian Johnson's trilogy (which I have my doubts was ever happenining), firings like Edwards on ROGUE ONE and Lord/Miller on SOLO, that Boba Fett movie, and on and on. All unsurprising because Kennedy doesn't have good instincts and Disney is keeping her around. Doomcock's video on ASHOKA and Dave Filoni basically doing a "deal" with her so he can make his Star Wars movie and keep going with the franchise is telling -- nothing is going to get any better until they get superior talent involved AND let them do their thing. But they've failed on every level -- not only "meddling" but also NOT having any consistency in the storytelling at the same time (i.e. the whole sequel trilogy and how it was written). She's bombed out across the board.

But this is why these Lucas franchises becoming Disney corporate products is so sad. Poor George never saw this coming I'm sure. You know, did people love Indiana Jones because the character was just so amazing and fascinating? Not really. It's because it was Steven Spielberg and George Lucas and Harrison Ford at their peak of their talents. Take the driving artistic force away and you get something like DIAL OF DESTINY instead. A pale facsimile with an interchangeable story that could've been suited for any banal Marvel hero.

The point on the revolving door is spot on. I laughed out loud at this stupid click-bait article on THE CREATOR where the author was asking "why Gareth Edwards hasn't kept making movies because ROGUE ONE was so awesome!". I mean, Edwards was FIRED and huge chunks of that film reshot/rewritten by Tony Gilroy. Don't they know ANYTHING? He's only partially responsible for the movie that ended up on-screen. :|

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:55 amI laughed out loud at this stupid click-bait article on THE CREATOR where the author was asking "why Gareth Edwards hasn't kept making movies because ROGUE ONE was so awesome!". I mean, Edwards was FIRED and huge chunks of that film reshot/rewritten by Tony Gilroy. Don't they know ANYTHING? He's only partially responsible for the movie that ended up on-screen. :|
Seeing "From the director of Rogue One!" on the poster for The Creator made me smirk, considering how little of what Edwards actually shot made it into the final movie. :?

Then again, the fact that Edwards, left to his own devices, managed to make The Creator for a bargain-basement $86 million(!) - and still have the movie look like it cost $200 mil - proves that the "Disney Method" of endless meddling from the higher-ups instead of letting filmmakers actually MAKE MOVIES is gravely flawed.

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

I can only feel so much for George Lucas - he didn't have to sell his IPs to Disney but he chose to. He is to blame for that, though he is not to blame if KK made him promises but then back-stabbed him later. I don't know if the IP will ever be as successful as it once was - maybe it will be. Each year that passes moves the originals further and further away...all the while Disney bombards the younger generation with the TV shows which is what they are now used to. I hear that the Ashoka (whatever) TV show is losing ratings - hard to tell where things will go. I haven't watched anything Star Wars related since my brother and his kids took me to see The Rise of Skywalker - don't plan to ever again. I will listen to Williams' scores for the films but that's about it at this point...maybe one day put in one of the older movies. Otherwise I have moved on.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Sure it is. :roll: