Hollywood Self-Implosion with Actors Going On Strike

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
sprocket

Re: Hollywood Self-Implosion with Actors Going On Strike

#16 Post by sprocket »

I don't follow the Hollywood system any more, as I don't find their product very appealing.

I just wonder how much this is about AI taking over. I would have thought the main problem is the lack of residuals for everyone under the streaming model. Isn't that the real issue here?

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Barry Diller with some interesting comments earlier -- and alarming as well.
Diller had several suggestions on Hollywood for host Margaret Brennan, and comments that are bound to be controversial.

Among them:

*** As a good-faith measure, Diller said the executives and the “most-paid” actors should take a 25% pay cut to try and narrow the difference between those who get highly paid and those that don’t.

*** He suggested a Sept. 1 strike settlements deadline. Otherwise, “next year, there’s not going to be many programs for anybody to watch. So, you’re going to see subscriptions get pulled, which is going to reduce the revenue of all these movie companies, television companies, the result of which is that there will be no programs.”

*** That “perfect storm,” Diller said,” “will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

*** Artificial intelligence fears are “overhyped,” Diller claimed. “Yes, you can ingest all this stuff and spit out something that sounds like Shakespeare, but guess what? It is not original Shakespeare. And writers will get assisted, not replaced. Most of these actual performing crafts, I don’t think are in danger of artificial intelligence.”

Diller also said a leading group of publishers, which he refused to name, are contemplating legal action to prevent AI from scraping and utiizing their data without compensation. He was vague on the details of who, what and when.
https://deadline.com/2023/07/barry-dill ... 235439384/

mkaroly

#18 Post by mkaroly »

I watched Diller's interview with Brennan.

Still cannot generate any sympathy for Hollywood actors.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

They're as good at negotiating as they are in Washington.

Good going guys!

https://deadline.com/2023/08/writers-st ... 235455349/

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

FINALLY, looks like it's over... :)

All studios to their actors tomorrow... :lol:

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

That took far too long. But thankfully it's all good we can still get BEETLEJUICE 2 and VENOM 3 into theaters next fall. Plus another DEADPOOL, another CAPTAIN AMERICA ...the list goes on and on.

In fact the headline here is astounding...one sequel after another (sans the last Clint Eastwood movie) filling theaters until the end of time apparently. :mrgreen:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/actors-str ... 235593653/