FURIOUSA "A Mad Max Saga" - 2024 - Trailer

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

FURIOUSA "A Mad Max Saga" - 2024 - Trailer

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Maybe they could call it 2 FAST 2 FURIOUSA? :lol:

I was hoping for more than yet another prequel, but it sounds like this is what Miller has going -- a gender-swapped MAD MAX project minus Mad Max. Very likely an "origin movie" if Taylor-Joy is auditioning I'd imagine.
Variety reports that the director has already held an audition with Anya Taylor-Joy, who was central to the movies The VVitch, Split, and Emma, and will also appear in the (hopefully) upcoming New Mutants. Other actors have also been auditioned over Skype, but their names have not been made public.

Whether Charlize Theron, who portrayed the instantly iconic Imperator Furiosa in Fury Road, will return for the movie remains unknown as rumours suggest Furiosa may be a prequel. Joy may therefore step into Theron’s shoes – and we could see the beginnings of Furiosa’s tangles with Immortan Joe.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/holl ... 203543478/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/any ... 00217.html

Paul MacLean

Re: FURIOUSA (Prequel?) - George Miller Holds Skype Auditions

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Why does Miller think audiences want to see a spinoff about Furiosa as opposed to a movie that actually features Max?

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Probably it's what Miller wants to make. I got the sense watching Fury Road he was more interested in that character than Mad Max. I mean Max is basically a side character in his own movie!

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

I think Miller just wanted to make a movie set in the "universe" of the Mad Max films, but WB insisted that Max actually be in it, even if it meant not getting Gibson back, and Miller acquiesced just to get the film financed. Maybe it would have been different if Miller had managed to make the film in the early 2000's with Gibson before his first attempt was aborted.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

That's a good theory.

I'm also always going to lament that he never got the movie made with Mel back in the early 2000's.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:08 am I'm also always going to lament that he never got the movie made with Mel back in the early 2000's.
All apologies to Tom Hardy, who's a fine actor and did well within the limited character he was given to play in Fury Road, but, of all the aging 80's action stars, the one who I would have most wanted to see reprise one of his most iconic franchise characters was Gibson with Max. :( Even in real life, he looks like he's been wandering through a post-apocalyptic desert for the last forty years, and it would have been so gratifying to see him play Max again.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Would've been a lot more effective, because the character is sketched so thin in the movie, just having Mel there would've brought audiences an immediate attachment to the character that's missing from the film in a narrative sense.

I like Hardy and it's not his fault, but it doesn't even seem like the same character. It's more like how Django was always used in countless westerns as a name but was seldom an actual running character -- just the same name. That guy is Max, but he doesn't really come off like Mel's Mad Max (nor does it really make any attempt to explain it).

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Called it!

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mad- ... 234607219/

Next ‘Mad Max’ Movie Will Be Imperator Furiosa Prequel Without Charlize Theron

George Miller is planning to expand the “Mad Max” universe with a prequel movie based on Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa from 2015’s “Fury Road.”

In an interview with The New York Times, the director said the film is an origin story and he’s searching for an actress in her 20s to take over the role. He said he had considered using de-aging technology in order to allow Theron — who’s 44 –to play the part again, but has decided against doing so.

“For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don’t think we’re nearly there yet,” Miller said. “Despite the valiant attempts on ‘The Irishman,’ I think there’s still an uncanny valley.”

In prepping the “Fury Road” script, Miller and co-writer Nick Lathouris developed back stories for every character, but not much was revealed about Furiosa’s past. In the film, she is a war captain under leader Immortan Joe, but turns against him in order to free Joe’s concubines. She then forms an alliance with Max Rockatansky, portrayed by Tom Hardy.

Miller has directed all four “Mad Max” movies and was nominated for best picture and best director for “Fury Road” in 2015. He plans to shoot the Furiosa movie after he completes shooting “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” starring Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton. That project was unveiled at the 2018 American Film Market.

MGM has signed a deal for domestic rights to “Three Thousand Years.” Plot details are under wraps. The film will be released in the U.S. via MGM’s joint distribution and marketing entity United Artists Releasing. The MGM news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

I'm waiting for a prequel movie about Wez.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Wow is this a disappointment in terms of aesthetics with so much CG. Looks like a video game.

Did Miller direct this or did Zack Snyder?

Paul MacLean

Re: FURIOUSA "A Mad Max Saga" - 2024 - Trailer

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

A Mad Max movie which doesn't feature Max. Yeah, I'm dying to see that. :roll:

What's next? James Cameron making a Vasquez movie?