Third Pixar movie in a row banished to D+

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: Third Pixar movie in a row banished to D+

#16 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:54 pm Turning Red is a delightful film, and while it may raise a few questions from the youngest viewers, that's part of parenting (think about the "PG" movies we we raised on :shock: ).
I don't recall having any questions about sex after seeing Star Wars or The Black Hole!

As far as the future of theatrical exhibition, what matters most to me is the quality of the work itself -- not so much the distribution channels. I have a 65" screen and terrific sound system. No, it's not quite the same as watching something projected on a screen twenty times that size -- but on the other hand I don't have to sit on leftover popcorn, or damp, sticky soda stains.

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:57 pm
Pixar can go off and make these "more personal" and "less commercial" movies all they want -- it doesn't mean audiences will want to see them, or support them in the same numbers as all their other films. And being honest, most of their recent movies have all kinda ventured into the odd territory of LUCA, SOUL, ONWARD, etc. Had there been no pandemic, none of these movies would have been breaking records, and people would've been asking if Pixar had lost their "touch."
Well, we'll never know, will we...?

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

They didn't even place this movie on the pay portion of Disney+ for a reason. If they thought there was any money to be made there, they would have made that choice, never mind a theatrical release. They are not in the business of throwing money away.

BobaMike

#19 Post by BobaMike »

It's a movie for girls and moms. No boy is going to be interested in this movie at all.
Andy is right, it's free because they aren't going to make any money off of it. They can claim it gets streamed whatever huge number, but that doesn't equate to money that would have been spent at the box office. They are already getting the disney+ money.

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

BobaMike wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:51 pm It's a movie for girls and moms. No boy is going to be interested in this movie at all.
Again...Inside Out made $858 million. Brave made $540 million. Neither of those made that kind of money only getting mothers and daughters to buy tickets.

And I absolutely loved Turning Red.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

There's a world of difference in the stories of those two movies and this one. This film's demographic is very narrow by comparison.

Monterey Jack

#22 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting take.

Disney executives greenlit a half-baked explicit allegory about the female menstrual cycle and the difficulties of puberty. Think of a much less subtle version of “Teen Wolf,” but about a girl who turns into a giant red panda. An incompetent film that inflates old sexist beliefs while not even getting its cool fantasy premise right, it’s like watching a Tumblr cartoon on amphetamines.

Monterey Jack

#24 Post by Monterey Jack »

Now THIS is an aggressively dumb reason to dump on this film... :shock:

Monterey Jack

#25 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yes, Disney's so broke they're giving Turning Red the theatrical run they should have given it in the first place in February. :shock: :lol:

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

That's unbelievable, no content coming to theaters so they're going to release this and DIE HARD? I'd REALLY be worried if I were a theater owner. There are going to be a few closures coming.

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

Who knows, maybe we'll return to the era of cinematic "revivals" we had in the 70s and 80s, when popular older movies would keep getting brought back. I'd rather see Die Hard in a theater this Friday than another goddamn superhero movie.

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Back then, at least before home video kicked in, there was no other way to watch these movies so you'd get re-releases happening all the time. It's a different world now when we have home theaters that sometimes are better than the digital projection systems you get in movie theaters and all the content you want to choose from.

My issue and why I go so seldom to these revival shows is it's not like they're projecting actual film. It's just a stream of the Blu-Ray or UHD most of the time. In my Showcase they put them on the smallest screens in the complex too usually so it kind of defeats the purpose.

I still appreciate an opportunity to see one of these on the big screen but it's a rough go to substitute for new stuff for theater owners. Really rough.