Elizabeth McGovern & Actresses Whose Careers Died

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Elizabeth McGovern & Actresses Whose Careers Died

#61 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#62 Post by AndyDursin »

Good for her. I mean what roles has she been missing out on in the current climate of cinema? Plus she makes plenty with her other work.

Monterey Jack

#63 Post by Monterey Jack »

I just miss seeing her pretty face in movies. :cry:

AndyDursin

#64 Post by AndyDursin »

Another good article, on another cutie who really did quit...have to give her some serious respect for her decision.

...guess she doesn't care about working again in Hollywood either. 8)

Monterey Jack

#65 Post by Monterey Jack »

Glad she's happy and all, but another attractive, talented actress who opted out just as her career was taking off. Watching Drag Me To Hell again last week reminded me of just how much I miss seeing her.

AndyDursin

#66 Post by AndyDursin »

I give them a lot of credit. I miss seeing them too but being tokens, cashing checks in green screen laden Disney crap... good on them. The days of working for the great directors are over. Sadly.

Monterey Jack

#67 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, I know logically they'd be stuck playing some third-string superhero's girlfriend if they were still acting, but when you get a crush on an actress, it's sad to see them just up and vanish.

Monterey Jack

#68 Post by Monterey Jack »

Seeing The Abyss last night on the big screen made me look up Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, because I couldn't remember the last movie she was in. Her last major role was in The Perfect Storm 23 years ago, and only two film performances since (one of which being a short).

AndyDursin

#69 Post by AndyDursin »

Always been a fan.

Looking at her resume she's steadily worked right along on stage -- quite a lot on stage -- and TV. Obviously became very selective about movie roles though. In fact she seemed back out of movies back in the '90s, but I think that was because she kids and it wasn't a priority for her anymore. Popped up in THE PERFECT STORM and that was literally it -- but stage work and TV she seemed to specifically focus on.

Monterey Jack

#70 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:11 am Always been a fan.
The original Mary Elizabeth. 8)

I always liked her too, not only beautiful but fiercely charismatic and intelligent in a way most younger actresses simply aren't today. Not many actresses could go toe-to-toe with Ed Harris in full bulldog bluster mode and totally hold her own.

Eric Paddon

#71 Post by Eric Paddon »

I couldn't stand her character in "The Abyss" or Harris for that matter. In fact, the reason why I ended up disliking the film so intensely is because their characters make a totally bad first impression (They don't give a damn about wanting to help the Navy try to find the missing sub and potentially save lives) that I could have cared less about their marital strife and their relationship, especially when it was supposed to be the key to why the aliens (who killed the sub crew for no good reason) then spared the Earth from destruction!