KING KONG (1976) on 4K UHD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
mkaroly

Re: KING KONG (1976) on 4K UHD

#16 Post by mkaroly »

Why change the font??? :roll:

Eric Paddon

#17 Post by Eric Paddon »

Not just a horrible font but you'll notice they've flipped the original image and cropped it to avoid showing the World Trade Center.

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

Admittedly, it's nice they're including the alternate Berkey "Kong v Snake" and "Kong v Wall" artwork in the interior and on the back of the steel. 8)

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd be fine with anything but the font which has no connection with the movie or its advertising whatsoever. That lettering style looks like something out of the 60s not the 70s.

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

Disappointing they brought none of the Scream Factory extras over to the U.S. 4K release, but since I already own it, I can keep that for the extras, and this for the new transfer (which I intend to watch tomorrow).

Eric Paddon

#21 Post by Eric Paddon »

Got my copy today. Can't deny the transfer is spectacular. I will always have a soft spot for this film because it was the first "big event" movie of my life at age seven. I remember seeing it in the Chatham Cinema when it came out, and I still have the trading card set and I can remember the crazy Ideal Board Game tie-in with the film too. And IMO the film today holds up better than Jackson's.

I took the precaution of ordering a four disc UHD case so I could put the two Shout discs in and retain the Shout cover as well. The "Steelbook" thing is just a silly and worthless gimmick (along with giving us bad art and fonts).

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

A few people complained the color was "too hot" but IMO this smokes the old master from the Shout Factory release, which was probably 20+ years old. The detail level is superb and I like the way it looks. Agreed too I much prefer this movie over Jackson's overstuffed vanity project.

As for the Paramount, I skipped it. I like the Steelbook art but not enough to buy it again after importing the Studio Canal package (which does have most of the Shout extras on it).

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Uh oh...music issue from a Blu-Ray.com user:
For the log scene, John Barry's score track, titled 'Ravine', is supposed to start at the 1:13:23 mark of the film. I verified this on the Shout Factory Blu Ray disc. On the Paramount 4K disc, the 'Ravine' score track does not start until approximately 2-3 seconds later at the 1:13:25/26 mark.