Arrow Releasing CONANs in January; 4K Box $42

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Arrow Releasing CONANs in January; 4K Box $59

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

I like DESTROYER for what it is -- which sure isn't BARBARIAN, but it's fun. You need a whole other mindset -- a PG rated 80s fantasy for kids -- to make it click but it's functional on that level (which I know is not a favorite genre of yours MJ lol). Shame Basil's score was so "blah" but it is what it is. They would've been better off tracking in music from the original.

Either way it got kids like me into the theater when my parents wouldn't have taken me to an R rated CONAN so I never complained. :lol:

No special effect is on the level of Olivia d'Abo though. She's cute (and had chemistry with Arnold!)

mkaroly

Re: Arrow Releasing CONANs in January; 4K Box $59

#17 Post by mkaroly »

Dude...lol...I walked out of the theater after seeing DESTROYER hoping I would get to marry her one day. :lol: :lol:

AndyDursin

Re: Arrow Releasing CONANs in January; 4K Box $42

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

That's awesome Michael. Didn't we all?!?! :lol:

I never read Robert E. Howard's books but the people in the know say DESTROYER is more like them with its fantasy elements. Obviously it's not a patch on the original but still...

It just helps to REALLY separate them in your mind because they are two very different types of films. One's a gritty R rated epic, the other is a PG rated Saturday Matinee fantasy for kids. Taken for what it is, DESTROYER isn't a classic but is still perfectly fine IMO. It's just a shame Basil's score is so limp. His heart wasn't in it and you can tell. I think the film would've fared better with a superior score.

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

Amazes me that Amazon's selling just the first Conan for only three bucks less than this. :shock:

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Its a sign the 2 movie set is a pricing error. That set was supposedly $80 or whatever and Arrow's own preorder price on their site for it was $60. Arrow prices usually don't fluctuate that much lower than that before release.

Seems like someone made an error at some point and a bunch of these retailers price matched the other's mistake. I don't know how it works but Arrow Id imagine must not care (and aren't absorbing the loss) as it's been at $42 for days at this point!

Monterey Jack

#21 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:47 am Seems like someone made an error at some point and a bunch of these retailers price matched the other. I don't know how it works but Arrow Id imagine must not care (and aren't absorbing the loss) as it's been at $42 for days at this point!
At this point, if BB and Amazon cancelled that price, they'd get a LOT of frustrated customers, so if it was honestly a mistake, they're just letting it ride out.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah it's gone on way too long for cancelations :mrgreen:

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

I should mention I did preorder a copy in the event they mess up my review copies. But fortunately I'm on Arrow's good graces again, I was able to specifically ask if I could get back on the reviewer's comp list after the work I did for the PSYCHO and CHILD'S PLAY boxes. Luckily James came through for me (even though they still have never seen me a gratis copy of the sets I was involved with...probably par for the course lol. I'm not complaining either :lol:

mkaroly

#24 Post by mkaroly »

Just received my box set and watched the 130 minute version. Man...this movie brings back memories...specifically watching it at a friend's house on HBO that he stole from the neighbor's feed (back in my day you could turn the TV dial to a place in-between two channels which would somehow allow you to see the cable feed from your neighbor). Lol...good times (we also watched a chrap horror movie that night called The Beast Within). :lol: :lol:

Great movie...poetic visually with moments of "silent" storytelling, moving, thoughtful, and entertaining. Poledouris' score was inspired and remains an essential element to the success of the film. They don't make 'em like this anymore! The supplementals are MASSIVE - looking forward to going through them all at some point soon.

The box set is outstandingly packaged...for $43 this things is an absolute steal. Arrow deserves to be commended for this.