HORIZON: Costner's two-part western epic

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

HORIZON: Costner's two-part western epic

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

Releasing both movies within two months of each other next summer. :shock: Anyways, delighted to see a proper, star-driven western being given such a wide theatrical push. :)

AndyDursin

Re: HORIZON: Costner's two-part western epic

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

What choice do they have -- this thing cost a fortune -- and they have nothing else to release. Might as well ride the YELLOWSTONE wave while they can.

It's definitely a different approach in terms of scheduling but it very much speaks to how things are changing in the theatrical marketplace.

Costner may have chucked Taylor Sheridan the middle finger but he's got that show to thank for this -- no way anyone would've funded this film if YELLOWSTONE didn't exist and its audience (whom will be the primary demo for this picture) weren't out there.

The release schedule is interesting but it's evidence of the general dearth of product theater owners will face next year. It also allows for the movie, if it's soft, to just play itself out quickly instead of having a situation where it bombs and the studio loses interest in releasing the back end of it.

From a larger perspective, this is what we're going to get I think -- monthly "event movies" going forward. Like this -- or the Taylor Swift concert film, plus your typical Hollywood corporate "brand IP events". Fewer movies, fewer mid/low budget films for sure, and the ones that DO get released are going to be uber-expensive projects of one kind or another designed like "Barbenheimer" to be "events."

It's not just another western -- it's an UNPRECENDETED NEW VISION!! :mrgreen:

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Still, I'd rather have a two-part original western on screens than another goddamn superhero movie. :lol:

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Sure. I might even go if it's good! But the formula has been set, they obviously are hoping this will be the BARBIE-like experience of 2024.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Shame it's John Debney scoring this but what can you do, pickings are slim.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm Shame it's John Debney scoring this but what can you do, pickings are slim.
Wish Costner had offered this to Bruce Broughton, or James Newton Howard (who did a killer score to Wyatt Earp). Still, it ain't a Zimmer Drone.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:42 pm
AndyDursin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:31 pm Shame it's John Debney scoring this but what can you do, pickings are slim.
Wish Costner had offered this to Bruce Broughton, or James Newton Howard (who did a killer score to Wyatt Earp). Still, it ain't a Zimmer Drone.
True. But I re-watched The Passion again last year, and I have to say the score is the weakest link in that movie. As a composer he is technically up to snuff, but I feel he lacks the artistry and invention of the truly great composers. (Plus, modeling the style of The Passion's score on Peter Gabriel's The Last Temptation of Christ didn't help).

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Someone with a lot of musical expertise who was not musically gifted when it comes to composition. Or, putting it another way, he "knows his way around an orchestra" but doesn't create notes that are worth listening to. Sadly. :|