DUNE 2: SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME - November 3rd

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

DUNE 2: SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME - November 3rd

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Or, hopefully it will -- and not most of its action all encapsulated in this trailer:

AndyDursin

Re: DUNE 2: SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME - November 3rd

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

The Harkonnen look more and more like the Engineers from PROMETHEUS, this time thrown into GLADIATOR -- a double homage to Ridley Scott! (too bad he never got a crack at making this)

Also incredible the amount of Marvel actors being used in this movie -- it's like nearly every actor is some Disney refugee.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:27 pm Also incredible the amount of Marvel actors being used in this movie -- it's like nearly every actor is some Disney refugee.
Hey, the MCU is fragmenting, so they gotta go somewhere. :lol:

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

Super excited about this film...hope I have not psychologically set the bar too high as I do not want to be disappointed! Making my way through all the DUNE prequel novels (one per month) in route to reading DUNE (1967) again before the movie comes out. I am on pace and holding steady.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

I couldn't make it through the trailer, owing to that awful music.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Paul MacLean wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:31 am I couldn't make it through the trailer, owing to that awful music.
I just put CC on and had the volume off. :lol: :lol:

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

This is pretty inspired...

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

People doing cartwheels in the aisles.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune ... 235908114/

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

"'...full of battle scenes that rival Peter Jackson’s 'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.' "

Well that battle scene literally gave me a migraine. Pass on Dune II.

mkaroly

#10 Post by mkaroly »

I am just hoping it delivers the goods...I know I am in the minority on this board, but I absolutely loved the first half of the story. So far, IMO, the filmmakers are doing right by the book(s)...hoping they finish strong. Not reading any reviews or watching any clips as I want to go in as oblivious as possible to what the film will look like. I plan on seeing it twice opening weekend on different days with two groups of friends due to schedules, so it better not disappoint (I have already accepted that Hans Zimmer's contribution will be deplorably bad as usual)!

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Indiewire's review is a dissent from the mainstream and gives off the feeling I get from nearly every one of this director's films.
Paul’s growing prescience becomes a major albatross for a film too focused on the big picture to look for signs of life in each scene along the way, and watching this boy-god arrive at the only possible future among the many that he learns to foresee is as dull and emotionally disengaging as it was to watch him awake to that destiny in the first “Dune.” “Part Two” may be the more broadly entertaining of these two movies, but feeling unmoved by the climactic sight of Willy Wonka riding a 400-meter sandworm into battle against a Manhattan-sized disco ball is also a much weirder and more uncomfortable kind of disappointment than anything the last chapter had to offer.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

This explains a lot. And doesn't speak well for this guy at all.

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

^^ Well, in a way, I agree with him -- in a technical sense. Cinema is, after-all, visual storytelling, and the less a movie is reliant on dialog to tell its story, the more purely "cinematic" it is.

Of course that doesn't mean "less dialog=better movie" -- A Man For All Seasons is still in my top five favorite films. On the other hand one of my problems with Tarantino is that he overemphasizes dialog, at the expense of the visuals.

But if you're trying to tell a story without dialog, you better have the skills to do so in a way that is comprehensible to an audience and is visually satiating -- which Villeneuve's films generally are not (except when he's trying to ape Ridley Scott's style).

Shawn the Sheep is one of the best examples of a film that tells a story sans dialog -- and is more interesting than anything Villeneuve has come up with!

Monterey Jack

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:06 amOn the other hand one of my problems with Tarantino is that he overemphasizes dialog, at the expense of the visuals.
Tarantino is a SUPERB visualist.

jkholm

#15 Post by jkholm »

While I would agree that movies have been corrupted by television, but it's not because of dialogue. It's movies copying TV's current fascination with "binge" storytelling. I'm tired of 2 1.2 hour movies that can't even tell a complete story.

And yes, Shaun the Sheep is a great example of dialogue free storytelling that works very well.