Thanksgiving Box-Office Numbers

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Thanksgiving Box-Office Numbers

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Weekend estimates.

Big opening for ENCHANTED, which ought to play throughout the holidays quite well on top of riding some of the year's best reviews. HITMAN did quite respectably and THIS CHRISTMAS did also. Obviously THE MIST tanked, opening disastrously in 9th place for the weekend.

Can't wait to see NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN this week too.

1. 1. Enchanted -- 5-Day Holiday $50M, [3-day Wkd $35.3M], (Cume $50M)
2. 2. This Christmas -- $27.1M, [$18.6M], ($27.1M)
3. 3. Beowulf -- $23.3M, [$16.2M], ($56.3M)
4. 4. Hitman -- $21M, [$13M], ($21M)
5. 5. Bee Movie -- $15.9M, [$12M], ($112M)
6. 6. Fred Claus -- $15.1M, [$10.7M], ($53M)
7. 7. August Rush -- $13.3M, [$9.4M] ($13.3M)
8. 8. American Gangster -- $12.7M, [$9.2M], ($115.7M)
9. 9. The Mist -- $13M, [$9M], ($13M)
10. 10. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium -- $10.9M, [$8M], ($22.2M)

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Updated with full weekend numbers

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

seeing as how The Mist cost only $17 million, it'll still make back it's production costs and a small profit when DVD sales are factored in.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:seeing as how The Mist cost only $17 million, it'll still make back it's production costs and a small profit when DVD sales are factored in.
That's little consolation to Weinstein and MGM, which were touting a gross of $20 million or more and embarrassingly saw it open in 9th place.

No matter which way you slice it it's another bomb for Weinstein. Other than 1408 they've basically been on life support releasing one turkey after another, and now they've got another one on their hands. It'll drop like a stone next week as well.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:That's little consolation to Weinstein and MGM, which were touting a gross of $20 million or more and embarrassingly saw it open in 9th place.

No matter which way you slice it it's another bomb for Weinstein. Other than 1408 they've basically been on life support releasing one turkey after another, and now they've got another one on their hands. It'll drop like a stone next week as well.
Well, they've been mismarketing movies all year, and releasing super-violent action/horror fare on "family"-oriented weekends like Easter (Grindhouse) and Thanksgiving (The Mist). Who wants to have a bellyful of turkey and stuffing and go see a movie about giant bugs from another dimension tearing people to shreds? The Mist should have been a Halloween release.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:That's little consolation to Weinstein and MGM, which were touting a gross of $20 million or more and embarrassingly saw it open in 9th place.

Well, they've been mismarketing movies all year, and releasing super-violent action/horror fare on "family"-oriented weekends like Easter (Grindhouse) and Thanksgiving (The Mist). Who wants to have a bellyful of turkey and stuffing and go see a movie about giant bugs from another dimension tearing people to shreds? The Mist should have been a Halloween release.
Maybe. But that wouldn't have helped the word of mouth. I realize you and some hard-core horror junkies love the way it ended but I'm sure many more felt like I did. Either way it wasn't going to be successful with that ending IMO.

mkaroly

#7 Post by mkaroly »

Anyone seen BEOWULF? How is Silvestri's score?

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:Anyone seen BEOWULF? How is Silvestri's score?
Between the video-game animation and the inherent creepiness of THE POLAR EXPRESS I opted to hold off on seeing BEOWULF theatrically. Seeing the merely-okay box-office returns I wonder when Zemeckis will return to the land of the living and start making real movies again... :?:

romanD

#9 Post by romanD »

despite the horrible cgi I thought i give it a try, as if the story is fine and exciting I could look beyond that, but boy... what a waste... almost no story at all, totally boring and unintentionally funny, astoundingly bad CGI (I recall being more impressed by Final Fantasy) and the ridiculous score made this my absolute worst movie of the year... heck even TRANSFORMERS had at least some good moments, but here zero...

many people left throughout the movie and I dont think 3-D could have saved this bore... it was pretty obvious which stuff was supposed to fly at you and that is exactly why I dont like 3-D for a complete movie... everything is just done in an unnatural way so that all these things can fly at you... that distracts you actually from the movie... you may like these effects, but for a serious storyteller, this is not a tool... it is a gimmick for amusement parks and that's it.

Anyway... the ponderous, monethematic score was really annoying and good for some laughs too... the theme for Grendel's mom was fine, but well, he played it each time she appeared in the same form, so I cant say Silvestri seemed very enthusiastic (although he said in an interview he believes the movie and score will get an oscar nomination, which is the most ridiculous thing he probably ever said).

Zemeckis should really stop with that technical stuff and go back and make real movies, as Andy said. Disappointing doesn't describe this failure hard enough.

Go and play SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS on PS2... better graphics, story and emotions.

Jedbu

#10 Post by Jedbu »

:roll: Zemeckis has not made a totally satisfying film since ROGER RABBIT, IMHO. GUMP had its moments, but I liked the book better-the movie was just too neat for me, and this is the film where I think Zemeckis' was starting to fall in love with the technology of film rather that the human element. ROBER RABBIT and even DEATH BECOMES HER have a fascination with visual effects, but not at the expense of the story and the characters.

I watched POLAR EXPRESS on network a couple of nights ago, and while the faces still creep me out (and everyone looks like they have bad dentures), there are still some gee-whiz moments and the ending is rather sweet, and Sylvestri's score really impresses.

I will skip BEOWOLF. The one that Gerard Butler was in a few years ago was passable (glad to see that Butler was finally in a film that made money with 300 [helluva film]) but what possessed Z. and company to make this is beyond me.
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES