RAMBO Reaction

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RAMBO Reaction

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Well, it was a cold, snowy Sunday afternoon a week before the Super Bowl, and Joanne and I had expiring passes for a local, small movie theater which I usually avoid because the sound kinda sucks (it's like you're watching a movie in a cavern!). Anyway, instead of seeing the passes go to waste, we went out and went our separate ways -- Joanne off to 27 DRESSES and yours truly to RAMBO, which I was going to at some point this week anyway.

The second leg of the Stallone Comeback Tour isn't as successful as "Rocky Balboa" but I will say I was entertained on a visceral level by Stallone's work as a director here. Not much plot (is there ever?) but the picture works due to its gut-punching action sequences -- this is a violent, graphic film but it shows the consequence of said violence, as well as taking a stand that there are indeed times when it is necessary. None of it has the comic book feel of RAMBO II or III, and while it doesn't have the strong character development of the first movie either, it's still effective.

I also need to commend Brian Tyler for his work here. Goldsmith's main theme pops up at the beginning and the end, and while Tyler's action music can't hold a candle to Goldsmith's, it's not the abomination that John Ottman's SUPERMAN RETURNS was in terms of wrecking the original orchestration and feel. Tyler seems to have written one specific theme that works well enough for the Christian missionaries Rambo ends up saving from the barbaric Burmese military as well.

But still there is no comparison between Tyler's work and Goldsmith's. When Goldsmith's theme eloquently closes the film, I nearly shed a tear not because of what was going on-screen, but rather that nobody among the "young generation" can write film music today on the same level by a wide, wide, wide margin. It was a bittersweet moment -- hearing that theme nearly made me weep for how almost irrelevant film music today has become. :(

But overall thumbs up for the movie -- good stuff on a cold, snowy Sunday afternoon ;)

Edmund Kattak

#2 Post by Edmund Kattak »

But then again, WHO WEEPS FOR ALAN FIVEHOUSE?

Seriously, I may see this on a Saturday morning matinee this week. $6.00 at the local AMC. By the way, I saw 27 Dresses during the Christmas holiday at a preview. It's an amusing chick flick, with James Marsden far more entertaining than his SUPERMAN RETURNS debacle.

Andy, I don't want to become melancholy over today's crop of composers. It seems that no one can write a theme or solid motif that resonates any more. I never thought the day that I would be eager to look forward to a JAMES HORNER score, but at least he still makes an effort and has some talent.

Back to RAMBO. Kudos to Sly for making the look of this film very visceral. It's a tough act to follow after the shaky-camera graniness styles of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, BLACKHAWK DOWN, THREE KINGS, et. al. At least it works here and the non-comic book approach only seems logical now.

By the way, did you see Janusz Kaminski is nominated for an Oscar this year? :)
Indeed,
Ed

TomServo

#3 Post by TomServo »

Andy, how would rate this installment in comparison to the others? Admittedly, I've always been a much bigger fan of Goldsmith's scores for the series than the films themselves, but I still enjoyed what I saw in I-III, so I was just curious...

romanD

#4 Post by romanD »

andy really, we all KNOW by now you dont like Ottman or Beltrami... no day or review passes now without bashing them... please stop that! And Im not saying this because I like their music... it got to a point where it is not funny anymore and it is not interesting anymore for a long time. WE GOT IT!

God, would you want to read something from one of us where he/she constantly screams out AND Paul Haslinger is the worst! whether it has something to do with the review or not?

thanks! really!

can't anyone write anything here anymore what he likes? This board turned into a pretty bash-board from morning till evening... pretty tiresome...

we all love movies, so lets write about what we like and not what we dislike, which right now feels you dont like movies and scores at all, so why run this site? Ok to criticize something, but reviews like "the score was soso, but at least much better than Beltrami's blabla and Ottman's blabla, which I hate and have to tell everybody everytime I mention a score..."

yawn

really

yawn

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

TomServo wrote:Andy, how would rate this installment in comparison to the others? Admittedly, I've always been a much bigger fan of Goldsmith's scores for the series than the films themselves, but I still enjoyed what I saw in I-III, so I was just curious...
I would hold FIRST BLOOD on a level high above either RAMBO 2 or 3. For me I think it's one of the top action films of the '80s, and it's as much because of the character development and performances of Stallone and also Brian Dennehy, who isn't just a one-dimensional bad guy. You understand Dennehy's motives as much as you might dislike some aspects of his character, which is why I enjoy that movie so much.

RAMBO 2 and 3 are a lot lighter, more escapist action-films and they are certainly fun for what they are, but the characterizations are lacking and they're essentially big-budget '80s comic book action flicks with Goldsmith's scores being the best part (even if his RAMBO 3 score is chopped up all over the place).

I'd fit this movie somewhere between the first movie and the sequels -- a little bit above those sequels. The end of this RAMBO is crazy, wild action that's just insane, but the rest of it is fairly low key and more "believable" more or less than its immediate predecessors. I also thought Stallone's portrayal of Rambo felt a lot more like his performance on the first movie, not the guy we saw in two and three.

My full review is now up too:
http://www.andyfilm.com/2-5-08.html

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

we all love movies, so lets write about what we like and not what we dislike, which right now feels you dont like movies and scores at all, so why run this site?
Plenty of movies I like Roman -- just check my columns on a weekly basis. (And I even had some praise for Brian Tyler this week too!).

As far as modern scores go, typically, no I don't. I don't feel the need to praise every soundtrack CD that comes out like some people do -- I feel we are in a dead period for film scoring so yes, I am going to criticize it because the music I hear in films today isn't anything close to the film music I grew up with and was around during those founding years of FSM. The sad part is I don't believe FSM would have ever existed if film music was in the current state that it is in when Lukas and I first contacted one another.

So if I harp on it too much, I apologize, only because I do truly LOVE the art of film music -- just good film music, the kind we are to me sadly missing out on now in the majority of new movies we see.

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced DVD and Blu-ray releases of Rambo - Extended Cut for the 27th July. The film will include 9 extra uncut minutes. Each release will also include a 60 minute production diary.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/rambo6.html
London. Greatest City in the world.