Shaun of the Dead/Spaced.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Shaun of the Dead/Spaced.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

With Shaun of the Dead out now on DVD stateside, isn't it about time somebody thought about releasing Simon Pegg's hilarious sitcom, Spaced?
It's one of the funniest shows to come out of the U.K. in years.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I picked up the Region 2 Special Edition last year and enjoyed it truthfully a lot more than SHAUN. I don't know why they don't do a DVD over here, but it's possibly the fact that Brit-coms don't sell as well on this side of the Atlantic, sadly.

Certainly a worthwhile and often uproarious show however! I love my R2 set.

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:I picked up the Region 2 Special Edition last year and enjoyed it truthfully a lot more than SHAUN. I don't know why they don't do a DVD over here, but it's possibly the fact that Brit-coms don't sell as well on this side of the Atlantic, sadly.

Certainly a worthwhile and often uproarious show however! I love my R2 set.
It's funny you mention that...

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/

http://www.peggster.net/

SPACED R1 DVD UPDATE: COMMENTARIES

"We recorded a whole bunch of new Spaced commentaries in Santa Monica yesterday. Edgar, Jess and myself, were joined by guest commentators, Kevin Smith, Diablo Cody, Quentin Tarantino and Matt Stone. This, together with brand new cover art will hopefully sweeten the blow for those completists who already have the region 2."

-SIMON PEGG, 23 March 2008
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

Simon's comments over the US Spaced remake issue.

SIMON'S OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING THE US SPACED

UPDATE: At the time of writing I was not aware that Jessica and myself, will in fact receive some payment for the use of our ideas. The issue however remains one of principal and respect rather than one of compensation.
Thoughts on the subject of an American Spaced. Feel free to skip to the end.

Now that the pilot has been officially announced, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify my position on the subject. The whole affair seems to have inspired some spirited debate and some heartening displays of loyalty and love. All this for a show which is almost 10 years old, is all rather wonderful and a vindication of all the blood, sweat and tears (both of joy and pain) we shed in the show's creation. It was always our aim to create a comedy which spoke to its audience on such a personal level, it almost felt one on one. It would seem the fan reaction to the news that Fox has appropriated the format, confirms at least, that we succeeded.

As far as remaking TV shows for different territories is concerned, I don't have a problem. The Office remake being a perfect example. Yes, the original British version is a wonderful and compact piece of comedy writing and performance, but I think it's bit much to expect a large scale American television audience to fully relate to the minutiae of day-to-day business life in an obscure British suburb. I'm sure if you're reading this, you are the type of person who takes pleasure in the variety of entertainment you enjoy, relishing the differences between our various cultural touchstones but there is a massive audience out there, which perhaps isn't as culturally savvy (euphemistic phrase for 'geeky') as we are and need their signifiers to be a little more familiar. So, Slough is replaced by Scranton, and the office archetypes become a little more archetypal to an American audience. The spirit of the show remains intact. The performances are uniformly great and the show scores big ratings and wins EMMYs, whether we as comedy purists prefer the original or not. The success of the remake is born out by it's undoubted success and appeal.

My main problem with the notion of a Spaced remake is the sheer lack of respect that Granada/ Wonderland/Warner Bros have displayed in respectively selling out and appropriating our ideas without even letting us know. A decision I can only presume was made as a way of avoiding having to give us any money, whilst at the same time using mine and Edgar's name in their press release, in order to trade on the success of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, even professing, as Peter Johnson did, to being a big fan of the show and it's creators. A device made all the more heinous by the fact that the press release neglected to mention the show's co-creator and female voice, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson). The fact is, when we signed our contracts ten years ago, we had neither the experience or the kudos to demand any clauses securing any control over future reversioning. We signed away our rights to any input in the show's international future, because we just wanted to get the show made and these dark days of legal piracy seemed a far away concern. As a result, we have no rights. The show does not belong to us and, those that do own it have no obligation to include us in any future plans. You would perhaps hope though, out of basic professional respect and courtesy, we might have been consulted. It is this flagrant snub and effective vote of no confidence in the very people that created the show, that has caused such affront at our end. If they don't care about the integrity of the original, why call it Spaced? Why attempt to find some validation by including mine and Edgar's names in the press release as if we were involved? Why not just lift the premise? Two strangers, pretend to be a couple in order to secure residence of a flat/apartment. It's hardly Ibsen. Jess and I specifically jumped off from a very mainstream sitcom premise in order to unravel it so completely. Take it, have it, call it Perfect Strangers and hope Balkie doesn't sue. Just don't call it Spaced.

It's a shame, since the pilot is now a certainty, whether we like it or not, a simple phone call and a few reassurances might have helped to at least curtail the tide of indignation from fans and creators alike. I have, as of yet, heard nothing.

Simon Pegg

The latest from Simon Pegg over the Spaced remake.
SIMON RESPONDS TO THE DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD POST

I had hoped I would only have to do this once. Despite, feeling extremely disgruntled by the whole affair, I never wanted the issue of the Spaced remake to turn into a public slanging match. I intended my original statement to be a definitive outline of my position on the whole thing. I have hardly mentioned it publicly since, with the exception of a few interviews during my Run Fat Boy Run press when I was drawn into discussing the subject, most notably on EW.Com. These few occasions are negligible compared to the amount of times I have deflected the issue toward my original comments. The Observer Newspaper in the UK chased me for an interview which I did not give. They ran the article anyway, using passages from my statement, in lieu of exclusive content. However after comments made on Deadline Hollywood by someone who may or may not have been Robert Green from Granada USA, I feel I should respond to the criticism leveled at me personally, as an emitter of "bullshit".
The post insists that we have been repeatedly "reached out" to and have petulantly rebuffed their attempts at communication like spoilt children. For the record these attempts to reach out were only ever made after the announcement in the trades and indeed after production had started on the pilot episode. That we are being blasted for not accepting these attempts at communication so long after the damage had been done is ludicrous. I don't think I can put it better than Sarah, a poster over on the Deadline Hollywood talk back.

"Green’s comments are akin to taking a ****
on someone’s doorstep, then getting all hurt and
aggressive because the owner of the house not only
complains but also doesn’t help clean up the mess."
The incredibly offensive insinuation that those who have expressed their sympathy and concern are cum gargling "idiots" represents extraordinarily misguided aggression by the the poster, whether it be Robert Green or not. The internet, with the establishing of Spaced-Out.org and latterly Peggster.net, Frostitution.net, Edgarwright.co.uk, Jessicahynes.co.uk and others, have been largely responsible for bringing together a huge international community of Spaced fans, many of them in areas where the show isn't even available on domestic DVD. The defensive response to this situation has been amazing. At best it has been hugely empathetic, light hearted and heartfelt, at worst it has engendered unseemly anti-Americanism, from narrow minded people who equate US television with poor quality, inexplicably failing to recognize the sheer historical weight of outstanding American televisual output, which I for one, consume avidly and with a sloppy chin. Despite the latter's unwelcome presence in our corner, the support from you "website idiots" has been extremely touching, to say the least.

Edgar has had a conversation with McG. I have phoned him a few times and to be fair, he has returned my calls, but after missing each other several times and the ball once again in my court, the wind has somewhat disappeared from my sails. I'm not sure what I have to say or indeed what can be said at this stage. The fact is, the Spaced remake went into production without our knowledge and that was upsetting. It is as simple as that. Now we are being criticized by the perpetrators of that upset for expressing regret. Even now, there has been no apology, only excuses.

This issue has only ever been about courtesy, never about money or credit. Also, how can anyone claim that Spaced is something we want left in the past, when we have spent the last few years trying to secure the release of the DVD in North America, Canada and other territories and the last few months compiling new artwork and commentaries to give the release some extra Spaced specialness. Also, despite time and circumstance conspiring against us, we have never categorically ruled out the possibility of more. Tim, Daisy, Mike, Brian, Twist, Marsha and Colin all have destinies locked in mine and Jess's collective grey matter, who's to say they won't some day be played out.

If you've skipped to the end, here's the simple summation. Somebody stamps on your foot then complains when you say 'ouch'? To adopt a little "website idiot" parlance, WTF?

Simon Pegg

http://www.peggster.net/

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

Cop aload of this.
All the extras from the R2 collectors edition, plus new extras including the Spaced On Stage Reunion Q&A from the National Film Theatre in London from last year.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spaced ... eries/9559

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »