multi region player?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
andy b

multi region player?

#1 Post by andy b »

Hi all

I am based in Canada & am looking to try to get hold of a multi region or Zero region player.

I have 2 friends in the industry (I am myself retired form the film industry) who keep sending me Region 2 discs, but have no way of playing them!

Got 2 players off ebay & they both will not play all the region 2 discs I have been sent, they both will play some but not all!

So I have given up with ebay once and for all.

Can anyone steer me in the direction of a supplier either in the USA or Canada who is trust worthy or is there an off the shelf model that needs a code?

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Andy B :D

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

DVD?

http://www.oppodigital.com/?partner=111

These guys.

Enabling region free (so far applies to all models:)

1. Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
2. Press SETUP on the remote control
3. Press the 9 button on your remote control
4. Press the 2 button on your remote control
5. Press the 1 button on your remote control
6. Press the 0 button on your remote control
7. A Service Menu will appear
8. Select 0 (zero) to make the player into a Region Free DVD Player
9. Press SETUP on the remote control to exit
10. NOTE - The 0 (zero) in the above sequence represents the Region Code 0 - Region Free. If you want to set to a specific region, just replace the 0 with the region number that you want.
Depending on which you buy you can either play in PAL or NTSC or at the very least the player will convert PAL to NTSC.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Andy it all depends on how much you want to spend. The Oppos are great as Eric mentioned but they are pricey. If you want something cheap the Philips is a good choice and is under $50 -- see here:

All depends on how much you need it and will use it. The Oppos are a worthwhile investment because of how well they're made, but if you aren't using it for more than a few discs, you could get by with the Philips or any number of other "multi region" under the radar machines, some of which you can find at Walmart or Best Buy. You just have to know what they are.

Jedbu

#4 Post by Jedbu »

You might check out these people:

regioncodefreeDVD.com

They have some great prices and I just replaced my crummy Daewoo region-free player (stay away from this brand) with an LG region-free DVD recorder/VCR with which I have been transferring many rare VHS tapes. It works beautifully and they sent it quickly.

You also might check out these people:

videohelp.com/dvdhacks

for hacking codes for most manufacturers (although Sony and Pioneer and some Panasonics are not in here)
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

andy b

#5 Post by andy b »

thank you all for your help

andy b :D

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

I ended up taking the plunge on a Philips region-free player at long last, because for me the issue was Australia getting a release of "McCloud" with the original 60 minute versions of the S1 episodes that in the US DVD release were only made available in the butchered re-edited for syndicated versions that combined two 60 minute shows into one haphazardly edited 90 minute show. To my relief it hooked up without a hitch to the connections with my other machines so now I can at last study what else is available in the foreign region DVD market that might be worth getting someday! (Up to now I had just three R2 discs for computer use; "The Tamarind Seed"; "Escape To Athena" and a late 80s TV movie called "Secrets")

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

Eric Paddon wrote:I ended up taking the plunge on a Philips region-free player at long last, because for me the issue was Australia getting a release of "McCloud" with the original 60 minute versions of the S1 episodes that in the US DVD release were only made available in the butchered re-edited for syndicated versions that combined two 60 minute shows into one haphazardly edited 90 minute show. To my relief it hooked up without a hitch to the connections with my other machines so now I can at last study what else is available in the foreign region DVD market that might be worth getting someday! (Up to now I had just three R2 discs for computer use; "The Tamarind Seed"; "Escape To Athena" and a late 80s TV movie called "Secrets")

I too recently bought a Phillips DVD player. Mine is the DVP5990, which cost me $58 from Best Buy. I found a hack code for the player on youtube, but there is also one on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-dvp5990/9370

I have been catching up on alot of my Region 2 discs. Last weekend, I watched the extended version of The Eagle Has Landed, followed by episodes of Blakes 7 (still no R1 release! :evil: ) and ended with Season 1 of Dempsey and Makepeace. All in all, a very good purchase.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric Paddon

#8 Post by Eric Paddon »

I didn't even need to enter a hack code on this player. It was already set up to handle multi-region discs from the get-go.

Jedbu

#9 Post by Jedbu »

I am now trying to find the R2 disc of TIMECOP, which every time I try to order through Amazon I just miss out. Since it is now OOP, you really have to keep an eye out for it. Now if they would just do a Blu-Ray...

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Jedbu wrote:I am now trying to find the R2 disc of TIMECOP, which every time I try to order through Amazon I just miss out. Since it is now OOP, you really have to keep an eye out for it. Now if they would just do a Blu-Ray...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TIMECOP-DVD-Brand ... 5885cb75b8

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Good to see Eric finally joining Region Free land -- a few years late, but better late than never, lol! Now, if we can only get you to finally get a Blu Ray player (11 Bonds for $70 today -- come on my friend, what are you waiting for?!?!), we'll be all set :)

Along those lines, I felt this was worth revisiting since it's been a while...

If anyone is interested in a Blu-Ray player with region-free DVD and BD capabilities (as well as region free for Blu), you don't have a lot of options these days, but they ARE out there.

The Curtis Mathes CMMBX130 was a Momitsu player clone and was around for $99 for a while. I ended up buying two of them, one for the bedroom and one for my folks, because it works so well and plays all regions on both formats. Must have had a short run because it was gone before the end of last fall.

These days the Sherwood BDP-5004 is essentially the same player -- and it's a bit pricier, at $150, but apparently the "modification codes" still work on it. It also converts PAL as well.

I think for region free this one is as good as you can get for the price, and I would recommend it.

I also ended up getting an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player with a "hardware mod" that I installed myself off Ebay. This allows you to change the region while still getting full firmware support from Oppo. That player was more than expensive at $499 or thereabouts, but I figured I'd splurge on a player that's top of the line and would play everything... :)
Last edited by AndyDursin on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Jedbu wrote:I am now trying to find the R2 disc of TIMECOP, which every time I try to order through Amazon I just miss out. Since it is now OOP, you really have to keep an eye out for it. Now if they would just do a Blu-Ray...
They are Jeff. Coming in September on a Warner double-bill with BLOODSPORT. (Warner has the rights to TIMECOP and all of those Largo Entertainment movies now like DR. GIGGLES, the '94 GETAWAY, etc.).

Don't bother with the R2 DVD.

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

Nope, still no interest in Blu-Ray. :) I'd rather buy some new stuff for the first time than buy my fifth different version of the Bond films!

I'll be paying more attention to US TV released only in foreign regions to go along with the "McCloud" set I'm waiting for, and there's some Brit TV I'd be interested in sampling as well as the deluxe "Avengers" sets with extras that are coming out in R2.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:Nope, still no interest in Blu-Ray. :) I'd rather buy some new stuff for the first time than buy my fifth different version of the Bond films!

I'll be paying more attention to US TV released only in foreign regions to go along with the "McCloud" set I'm waiting for, and there's some Brit TV I'd be interested in sampling as well as the deluxe "Avengers" sets with extras that are coming out in R2.
The Avengers sets may well come out here eventually since the Prisoner and Space 1999 remasters got released. Obviously we'll have to wait and see.

John Johnson

#15 Post by John Johnson »

Eric Paddon wrote:Nope, still no interest in Blu-Ray. :) I'd rather buy some new stuff for the first time than buy my fifth different version of the Bond films!

So far, the Seasons 1-3 of The Avengers have been released by Optimum Releasing. Season 4 is due for release on Monday 5th July. Here is a list of the extras for this set.

• Exclusive audio commentary for The Town of No Return with director Roy Ward Baker and scriptwriter / producer Brian Clemens
• Exclusive audio commentary for The Master Minds with scriptwriter Robert Banks Stewart
• Exclusive audio commentary on Dial A Deadly Number with scriptwriter Roger Marshall
• Exclusive audio commentary on The Hour That Never Was with director Gerry O'Hara
• Exclusive audio commentary on The House That Jack Built with director Don Leaver
• The Series of No Return - Exclusive audio interview with Elizabeth Shepherd

• USA Chessboard opening sequence
• The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse promotional trailer
• Alternative end tag from Death At Bargain Prices
• Episode reconstructions for Series 1 scripts Kill The King and Dead of Winter
• Colourised test footage from Death At Bargain Prices and A Touch of Brimstone
• Reconstructed The Avengers Are Back John Stamp trailer
• Alternative UK opening and closing credits
• Alternative UK animated bumpers
• Armchair Theatre – The Hothouse (starring Diana Rigg)

• UK animated bumper
• Variant opening title credits for The Gravediggers
• French opening credits
• German opening credits
• ITN Newsreel footage
• Stills galleries
• PDF material (scripts, TV Times, ABC Production paperwork)

OVER 6 HOURS OF BONUS CONTENT!

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/base_optimumnews.htm