rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: rate the last movie you saw

#1036 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I never saw Temple Of Doom simply because when I heard it was a prequel, I felt I had no reason to go see it way back when. I was one of those who saw a movie sequel as always building off the previous film, and the Trek, Superman and SW franchises had just ingrained that idea in me that a prequel just made me feel like there was no point.
It's no different than a James Bond film -- had no backstory to advance in the first place and was essentially self-contained as the bulk of the Bond movies were (which was their point; it wasn't ever supposed to be a big series of inter-connected episodes like STAR WARS with its own mythology and such). It could've easily been a sequel and made no difference -- as Paul cited with the inconsistencies in Indy's persona, I don't think they really cared much about paying attention to that kind of thing. I mean, it's Saturday matinee adventure, meant to be enjoyed on that level. There was no "grand design" there to make some LORD OF THE RINGS type epic. Prequel, sequel -- in the case of the Indiana Jones movies, it made no difference.

I totally agree with Paul; on balance, I like TEMPLE OF DOOM a great deal. It is very uneven, and is a comedown from RAIDERS -- and isn't as satisfying as THE LAST CRUSADE which I happen to love -- but as a straight, amusement-park type ride which is I think what they were going after, it's fun. Beautifully shot and I love Williams score -- for me the second best score of the series. I do find Capshaw's character whiny at times, but the film has some great moments. Just like WAR HORSE, I also agree tone is its biggest issue -- it does go too "dark," and that was Spielberg's fault (for which he admitted afterwards).

Still though -- great entertainment, just not up to RAIDERS (or LAST CRUSADE). CRYSTAL SKULL for me doesn't even exist in comparison with the first three films. :)

Eric W.

#1037 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:CRYSTAL SKULL for me doesn't even exist in comparison with the first three films. :)
Doesn't exist for me at all, period.

Paul MacLean

#1038 Post by Paul MacLean »

I do think ToD is worth seeing. It has some terrific thrills, and Amrish Puri's deliciously wicked performance as Mola Ram is a high point (it's clear watching him that he had fun with the part). But it's certainly not Raiders.

When ToD was released, I remember that despite its success, many people I knew were disappointed by it. Some even felt that Romancing The Stone (released about a month prior) better-captured the spirit of Raiders than ToD did!

Monterey Jack

#1039 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:Despite the fact that Temple of Doom is unquestionably a "darker" film than Raiders, the charater of Indiana Jones himself was "lighter". While the Indy of Raiders was heroic and brave and fundamentally a good guy, he was also a drinker, a ruffian, callous, and in his past took advantage of a teenage girl! Offsetting his heroism with these flaws made him an interesting character.

But in temple of Doom they "de-toothed" him. This time out he is merely a tough good guy, a friend of little kids, fluent in an arcane Indian dialect (odd, when he couldn't even speak "Hovitos" in Raiders), never touches a drop of booze and for the most part refrains from using bad words.
Um, did we watch the same movie...? :shock: Indy is portrayed as being totally self-serving and greedy in TOD (with strong shades of Bogart in Treasure Of The Sierra Madre...check out Indy's expression as he gazes rapty at the glowing Sankara Stones. He's practically licking his lips). He doesn't go after the stones to save the village so much as he does it for "Fortune and glory, kid...fortune and glory". And as for boozing, how about being drugged via ingesting the blood of Kali (he even gives Short Round a hearty smack while "under the influence")? And I believe this is the only Indy film where Ford gets to mutter, "Oh, sh!t!" while being flanked on both sides on the rope bridge. This is one area where TOD being a prequel actually works...it shows Indy's transformation from grave-robber to a more serious, moral preserver of important antiquities ("Yes, I understand its power now"). For me, TOD is the only one of the Indy sequels to live up to Raiders...Last Crusade is hobbled by sub-par effects and an overabundance of slapstick, and the less said about Crystal Skull, the better. :cry:

Eric Paddon

#1040 Post by Eric Paddon »

I understand your point about it not being meant to be interconnected, Andy, it's just that at the time my mind wasn't used to that kind of thing. The fault was more how I saw movies in those days from my particular vantage point.

John Johnson

#1041 Post by John Johnson »

I remember attending the Royal Premiere of TOD in London. Both the heart ripping and the Short Round whipping scenes were both heavily edited by the BBFC. Even when it came to the VHS releases, the same edited prints were used. I'm not sure if the UK DVD is uncut as I didn't bother buying it.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#1042 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I understand your point about it not being meant to be interconnected, Andy, it's just that at the time my mind wasn't used to that kind of thing. The fault was more how I saw movies in those days from my particular vantage point.
aaah, OK Eric, for a minute there I wasn't sure if you were calling it a fault or not, lol. I was about to say, that was a pretty limp reason for boycotting the film!

Paul MacLean

#1043 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:He doesn't go after the stones to save the village so much as he does it for "Fortune and glory, kid...fortune and glory".
There's an element of self-servitude there but I think it was pretty clear that Indy was also retrieving one of the stones for the villagers. He heeded their request to detour to Pankot, rather than journey straight to Delhi, as was his initial intention.
And as for boozing, how about being drugged via ingesting the blood of Kali (he even gives Short Round a hearty smack while "under the influence")?
That was not booze though, but a mind-altering drug (made from blood), which Indy was forced to imbibe. He did not voluntarily drink it, nor did he take a drop of alcohol once in ToD. Quite a contrast to his willingly getting drunk in a Cairo bar in Raiders.
And I believe this is the only Indy film where Ford gets to mutter, "Oh, sh!t!" while being flanked on both sides on the rope bridge.
The kids in ET and Goonies said that too. I think that's more mild than his snarling "Jesus!" when Marion jabs him with a torch. Or Last Crusade her he says the same thing (and is slapped by his father).

In Temple of Doom, Indy also tries to save the evil taskmaster from being dragged through the rock crusher -- quite different from Indy not even warning the German mechanic he is about to be cut to ribbons by a propeller.

I'm not saying Indy was Mr. Rogers in ToD, but there was a ruthlessness he had in Raiders which was toned-down in the sequels. I think Belloq made this clear when he observed it would only take a shove to "push you out of the light."

Monterey Jack

#1044 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:He doesn't go after the stones to save the village so much as he does it for "Fortune and glory, kid...fortune and glory".
There's an element of self-servitude there but I think it was pretty clear that Indy was also retrieving one of the stones for the villagers. He heeded their request to detour to Pankot, rather than journey straight to Delhi, as was his initial intention.

But only after he learns the valuable Stone is there.

Monterey Jack

#1045 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Satan Bug (1965): 7.5/10

Solid suspense piece from director John Sturges benefits enormously from a fiendishly effective Jerry Goldsmith score, which elevates the overall film to a considerable degree. As for the film itself, it's kind of clunky and dated, yet still generates a good deal of tension.

AndyDursin

#1046 Post by AndyDursin »

Decided to kick off 2012 with some classics to break in the new Aisle Seat TV...

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE 7.5
As time has gone on, I've become more accepting of TMP's shortcomings, which has improved the film for me on repeat viewings: those marvelous effects, Goldsmith's score, and the sense of grandeur that Robert Wise brought to the film makes it the most "cinematic" of all the Trek movies. On Blu-Ray the positive elements are enhanced by a gorgeous transfer obscured just a little by too much noise reduction, though it is NOT a dealbreaker.

And as much as I like the added scenes to the TV version (and the Director's Cut), I enjoy the few moments of awkwardness that pop up in the theatrical cut ("Viewer off!"), seeing as the film's tone is otherwise so sterile and cold.

STAR TREK II - 9.5
Nicholas Meyer's finest 115 minutes. What struck me this time around was how good Shatner's performance was -- the script, which develops a handful of themes involving aging and dying and living, doesn't have a wasted moment, and Shatner eloquently conveys these emotions, particularly at the end. The penultimate scene with Kirk and David is wonderful and sensitively played by both actors -- a shame they opted to kill Kirk's son off so arbitrarily in III. Kirstie Alley also brought a lot to the table as Saavik and undoubtedly not having her around made it easier to jettison that character by the time III finished (Robin Curtis was no substitute; I remember seeing her in an Alpo commercial, and in an episode of KNIGHT RIDER, before she vanished off the planet). Horner's score is great, and Montalban positively sells the film -- with a lesser actor, much of the film crashes and burns.

I did realize how "economic" the film looked in comparison with TMP, more so in high-def -- the sets, costumes, cinematography aren't up to the level of its predecessor -- but the story, and the human drama, is exponentially enhanced, and the effects are still top drawer. Technology may have improved since 1982 but the conception and execution of ILM's space battles blow most modern-day FX out of the water.

ALIEN - 9
I went with Scott's 2003 "Director's Cut" this time around, which does improve the pace a bit (and offers some interesting added shots here and there), which works fine since this is my main issue with ALIEN on repeat viewing. This is a classic sci-fi film though after you've seen it so many times, I've found that I need to be in the right mood to get back into it seeing as so much of it is a slow burn (this is less an issue for me with ALIENS). The cinematography and art direction are utterly outstanding on Blu-Ray, so much that watching it in HD brings a new appreciation for me each time, as I was too young to see it upon its initial release and my first viewing was its ABC premiere back in the '80s! There's less new material than there are edits from the theatrical cut, and while I wasn't ever a huge fan of the "cocoon" scene, it plays much better on the Blu-Ray than it did in its original, uncut version (as a laserdisc outtake -- which is also on the Blu-Ray in the Laserdisc Archives section!). Overall the slightly shorter DC is superior to the original version, though it's certainly not a radical "rethinking".

Also part of the singular best Blu-Ray box-set available in the format too! Watching in anything less than this transfer wouldn't be doing the film justice.

For whatever reason, though, I was more sensitive to the alterations in Goldsmith's score -- the FREUD sections do sound quite different than the rest of his original work. Deciding not to use music at all was likely a wise decision in most places (and I actually like the use of Hanson at the end), but I'd have stuck with what Goldsmith originally wrote instead of the tracked sections.

mkaroly

#1047 Post by mkaroly »

I was disappointed with the commentary track for the BR version of TMP...not impressed. I wish they would have carried over the Director's Cut commentary (and the Director's Cut), but that commentary track wouldn't have done much good on the theatrical cut. Supplemental section blows as well. I would hope that if Paramount is going to release a super deluxe version that they release the theatrical, director's, and TV cut in a set.

I find myself enjoying TMP more with each viewing...I really enjoy Shatner early on in the film, and I like Spock's subtle changes throughout as well. Goldsmith nailed the score...it is very operatic. I also really like the story...it has a lot of depth to it and is very thought-provoking in a hard-core sci-fi way. I agree with your review Andy.

Eric W.

#1048 Post by Eric W. »

Agreed with all that.

Given what happened with Trek I find that I've appreciated TMP a lot more as time has gone on, on its own merits.

Easing up on budget notwithstanding, it's still very clear today how and why TWOK resurrected, revitalized, and took Star Trek to a level we'll never see again.

AndyDursin

#1049 Post by AndyDursin »

I was disappointed with the commentary track for the BR version of TMP...not impressed. I wish they would have carried over the Director's Cut commentary (and the Director's Cut), but that commentary track wouldn't have done much good on the theatrical cut. Supplemental section blows as well. I would hope that if Paramount is going to release a super deluxe version that they release the theatrical, director's, and TV cut in a set.
I'm not sure what the plan is there, but Mike Matessino was hoping in 2009 that they might revisit TMP and do the Director's Cut by the time the sequel to the new TREK hits theaters. That TMP Director's Cut was sabotaged I believe by Paramount only mastering the new effects in 480p, which you could sort of tell by watching it -- they didn't truly restore the film, just shoehorned those enhanced FX into the existing print. I had mixed feelings while watching it for that reason, because not all of the FX really improved upon what was there to begin with, but it was a cost-conscious decision by the studio at that time to go that route. The downside for them now is if they want to put it in HD, they'll have to spend more money, though if memory serves Mike told me they'd be able to easily rework them for 1080p with just a bit more effort (something like they did the FX in 1080p, but Paramount only locked them in at 480p -- or something along those lines).

I'd be equally happy if they just added the "TV scenes" back into the existing feature, but so far I haven't heard that there's any work going on there...yet. Paramount has ALWAYS indulged in multiple releases of the Trek property going back to the days of laserdisc, both with the series and the movies. I think the films received 2 or 3 different laserdisc releases over a 10-year span essentially, so I'm sure one day we'll see the TMP, Khan and Undiscovered Country Director's Cuts on Blu-Ray.

BTW CBS just sent me the TNG Blu-Ray sampler disc...haven't popped in yet but I'll check it out later today.

John Johnson

#1050 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:
I
BTW CBS just sent me the TNG Blu-Ray sampler disc...haven't popped in yet but I'll check it out later today.
Andy,
I'm interested to see how Sins of the Father looks. One of the great episodes of TNG.
London. Greatest City in the world.