MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 4

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 4

#1 Post by John Johnson »

In an interview with TV Guide, STAR TREK director J.J. Abrams said that he will be producing the fourth MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE film. "I am incredibly honored that Tom has invited me back as a producer on 'Mission: Impossible 4,'" said Abrams, who directed 2006's Mission: Impossible III, but hasn't yet committed to directing the fourth. "Tom and I have come up with a really cool idea we are pursuing," he added. The third film cost about $150 million to make and earned $397.8 million worldwide. The first pic pulled in $457.7 million worldwide on a $80 million budget and the second took in $546.3 million on a $125 million budget.

http://www.isnnews.net/
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I didn't care for MI3 much at all. Hopefully they'll do a better job next time around, though I wouldn't expect Abrams to have much of an interest directing it. I can see him involved in a producing capacity, but that's about it.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

I didn't even like Mission Impossible 1. :roll:

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Every one of the movies in this series is flawed, no doubt about it Paul. 1 was fairly entertaining and had a couple of exciting set pieces I felt, but the story was a mess. 3 was just tedious and had a real "TV sensibility" despite the budget -- I think Abrams learned a lot from that movie because STAR TREK didn't turn out that way.

Ironically, as the years have passed, I have come to appreciate 2 as a guilty pleasure bit of nonsense. It's a self-indulgent Woo movie and it's totally over the top, but if I had to sit through one of the MI films again, it'd likely be that one. I didn't even mind Zimmer's score for it, either.

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

Pass!

I haven't seen any of them and never really wanted to.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Every one of the movies in this series is flawed, no doubt about it Paul. 1 was fairly entertaining and had a couple of exciting set pieces I felt, but the story was a mess.
I thought MI 1 had a very convoluted script, but it totally went out the window for me at the climax, when the helicopter flew into the "chunnel" to chase the train, and then the shock wave from the helicopter exploding propelled Cruise to safety.

They coudln't have gotten away with that in a Roger Moore Bond picture! :roll:

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

Paul MacLean wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Every one of the movies in this series is flawed, no doubt about it Paul. 1 was fairly entertaining and had a couple of exciting set pieces I felt, but the story was a mess.
I thought MI 1 had a very convoluted script, but it totally went out the window for me at the climax, when the helicopter flew into the "chunnel" to chase the train, and then the shock wave from the helicopter exploding propelled Cruise to safety.

They coudln't have gotten away with that in a Roger Moore Bond picture! :roll:
Octopussy? ;D

The Pessimist

#8 Post by The Pessimist »

Oh no, not another sequel. I can sue for 'intrusion upon my sensibilities', right? :D
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

JSWalsh

#9 Post by JSWalsh »

I didn't mind the "invisible jetpack" moment in Mission Impossible, and while I didn't care for the movie much, I admired the attempt at something that was PLOTTED, and not just a series of action beats. This stuff is all fantasy--if there's anything I like less than Bruckheimerized action movies, it's attempts at making them "realistic" ala the current Bond.

I just wish they'd make the movies similar to the original show. Cruise is just another Solo Action Hero in these movies, and you could have made the same movie as a Bond, Die Hard or any cookiecutter action movie.
John

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Paramount Pictures and producers Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams are developing a fourth MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and have set TV writers Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec to write the screenplay, Variety reported. The writers worked for Abrams on ALIAS and will write M:I 4 based on a story Abrams wrote with them, the trade paper reported. The trade says that the only other commitments so far are for Cruise and Abrams to produce the film together, sources said that Cruise's character, Ethan Hunt, will certainly be involved in an onscreen capacity. Pic is aimed for a 2011 release. Applebaum and Nemec are the creators of the new ABC series HAPPY TOWN and previously created OCTOBER ROAD and the U.S. version of LIFE ON MARS for ABC.

http://www.isnnews.net/

Eric W.

#11 Post by Eric W. »

Feeling pretty lukewarm about this.