Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND Preview

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Haven't been following this a whole lot but Odeon has apparently signed on as well...

http://www.deadline.com/2010/02/uk-exhi ... eys-alice/

John Johnson

#17 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Haven't been following this a whole lot but Odeon has apparently signed on as well...

http://www.deadline.com/2010/02/uk-exhi ... eys-alice/
Yes, I think they got something out of it from Disney.
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#18 Post by John Johnson »

Why everyone is so animated about Disney

So, the Odeon cinema chain has relented and agreed to show Alice in Wonderland, Disney's new Tim Burton-directed 3D movie. What has all the fuss been about, and does it affect you and me?

There are lots of reasons, all of which boil down to one thing: money. Disney presented its new Alice movie to cinema-owners worldwide with a "drink me" new idea. This was to reduce the time the cinemas had exclusive rights to show the film, known as the "exhibition window" - no DVD sales, no video-on-demand (VoD), no pay-per-view television - from roughly four months to three months. The cinema owners took one look at the idea and chose not to swallow it, fearing that their businesses would be reduced to the size of the door Alice walked through.

At first, all the cinema-owners in the UK stood firm and refused to screen the film. Then one relented, leaving the others with the prospect of seeing their rival cash in. That proved even harder to swallow than Disney's idea.

But the fear remains among cinema-owners that this is the thin end of the wedge. They worry that the end-game for the studios is not simply a three-month exhibition window on the occasional movie. They worry that it's not even a three-month window for every movie. Their fear is that this is a step towards "day-and-date" releasing. That's the trade term for releasing the theatrical version, the DVD, VoD and pay-per-view TV all at the same time.

These are the points being debated:

• Argument: DVD sales are not making as much money as they used to; an extra month's sales while the film is still fresh in the consumer's mind will help reverse this trend.
• Counter-argument: Reducing the exhibition window by a month won't make any difference to overall DVD sales

• Argument: The costs of marketing a film are huge. The costs of marketing a DVD are pretty big, too. If you release them together, you reduce marketing costs.
• Counter-argument: DVD sales will cannibalise the box-office taking, resulting in a much-reduced return to the studio.

• Argument: Piracy has a negative effect on DVD sales. Reducing the exhibition window by a month will help reduce piracy.
• Counter-argument: Piracy is a problem, but it peaks very early in a film's run; a one-month reduction in the exhibition window will have little effect.

• Argument: If the consumer can buy the film on DVD, VoD or pay-per-view, they won't come to cinemas.
• Counter-argument: People go to restaurants when they can eat at home; they go to pubs when they can drink at home; they will still go to cinemas. Only a tiny minority has a home cinema of anything like comparable quality to that of an Odeon or Vue.

• Argument: People like going out, they like a shared experience.
Shortening the exhibition window will harm smaller regional cinemas which only receive the print of the film some weeks after the release.
• Counter-argument: As above. Also, with more and more digital cinemas likely to appear, the issue of a limited amount of prints is removed.

Everyone I have spoken to in the industry thinks it is inevitable that the exhibition window will be reduced, maybe ending up as brief as two weeks. But some have questioned Disney's timing and reasoning and whether the firm will actually see an increase in DVD sales. They suggest a better time for the move would be when VoD becomes the home-movie medium of choice. To cause a fuss now, after the success of Avatar and the clear consumer interest in 3D, will mean those investors who had been preparing to make significant financial commitment to building and renovating cinemas will be scared away.

Two outcomes present themselves. The first is consumer-orientated and technology-driven, which means giving the customers what they want, when they want it, on whichever medium suits them best. The logical conclusion here is day-and-date. Cinemas would just have to trust that there are still enough people who choose their medium and enable them to make money. The studios, who have invested heavily in making the movie, are relaxed about which medium the customer watches it on, just so long as they pay for the privilege.

The other model is France, where there are rules and regulations that stipulate that the exhibition window last four months (it used to be six), a position that the regulations' advocates feel protects cinema. But some argue, with piracy and digital dissemination in the ascendency, will such an inflexible position mean that they have lots of cinemas but nothing to show in them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... ed_ab.html

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Another mixed review, this time from Variety...

"Script arguably needed a narrative backbone of a sort not to be found in the episodic books, and Woolverton has obliged. Unfortunately, it's one that turns "Alice" into a formulaic piece of work, which Carroll's creation was anything but. Climactic action setpiece, with an unlikely young warrior taking on a fearsome beast while gobs of CGI soldiers clash, smacks of "The Lord of the Rings," "Harry Potter," "The Golden Compass," "The Chronicles of Narnia" and any number of other such recent ventures. Thus does "Alice" become normalized, a tilt Burton is surprisingly incapable of opposing."

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117942 ... id=31&cs=1

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

I love Elfman's score...or at least the main theme. Children's chorus singing a few lyrics and "Alice!" with a propulsive, mischievious and yet evocative main theme...this seems to be one of Danny's most inspired works in a while. No surprise given the director and material. Will listen to the rest of the score in a little while...

Eric W.

#21 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I love Elfman's score...or at least the main theme. Children's chorus singing a few lyrics and "Alice!" with a propulsive, mischievious and yet evocative main theme...this seems to be one of Danny's most inspired works in a while. No surprise given the director and material. Will listen to the rest of the score in a little while...
Seeing some "meh" reviews for this movie trickle out.

See, the thing with Elfman in these times, at least for me, is: I know I'll hear some good material like that but the whole score just isn't going to deliver the good for me.

I don't buy his score sight unseen any more and I haven't in years. Too bad.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

I listened to the whole thing and IMO it's a terrific score. One of his best in a long, long time, and clearly one of the best of the last couple of years. These days when you actually have a score built around a theme it's no small accomplishment, though apparently from what someone said on the FSM thread, the reprisals of the Alice theme with chorus aren't used -- which is a shame. I agree it sounds like some post-production tinkering went on (and an Avril Lavigne song over the end credits? YUCK).

The movie is getting mixed reviews -- though more positives than negatives I see -- but to the people who are saying "it's a Disney movie directed by Burton instead of a Burton movie released by Disney" -- what did they expect? I'm sorry the last third is a CGI battle too but it sounds like it delivers the goods for the most part.

It's going to make a ton of money over the next few weeks, reviews or not.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

DHD reporting ALICE is running ahead of AVATAR's opening day matinees and Disney is hoping for a $100 million opening weekend now.

Again, with the 3-D ticket premium, it's inflating the grosses of these films. What might have been a $70-$75 opening frame can become $100 million just with the 3-D factor -- no wonder studios want everything in 3-D now.

Eric W.

#24 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I listened to the whole thing and IMO it's a terrific score. One of his best in a long, long time, and clearly one of the best of the last couple of years. These days when you actually have a score built around a theme it's no small accomplishment, though apparently from what someone said on the FSM thread, the reprisals of the Alice theme with chorus aren't used -- which is a shame. I agree it sounds like some post-production tinkering went on (and an Avril Lavigne song over the end credits? YUCK).

The movie is getting mixed reviews -- though more positives than negatives I see -- but to the people who are saying "it's a Disney movie directed by Burton instead of a Burton movie released by Disney" -- what did they expect? I'm sorry the last third is a CGI battle too but it sounds like it delivers the goods for the most part.

It's going to make a ton of money over the next few weeks, reviews or not.
Great news. Sounds like I have an Elfman score to look forward to soon. The movie will be a fun romp, I'm sure.

AndyDursin wrote:DHD reporting ALICE is running ahead of AVATAR's opening day matinees and Disney is hoping for a $100 million opening weekend now.

Again, with the 3-D ticket premium, it's inflating the grosses of these films. What might have been a $70-$75 opening frame can become $100 million just with the 3-D factor -- no wonder studios want everything in 3-D now.
Heh, no wonder.

Monterey Jack

#25 Post by Monterey Jack »

7.5/10

Not top-tier Burton (making it a sequel to the books, rather than a straight adaptation/reinvention, smacks of Hook/Superman Returns, and no "Burtonian" main title sequence?! :?), but there's plenty to enjoy here for his fans, and Elfman's score is positively gorgeous. The 3D is also kept in check, with a minimum of poke-you-in-the-eye gags. Just a visually sumptious production.

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Just got back myself. It managed to be moderately entertaining but thoroughly disappointing at the same time.

-The screenplay was the major problem. Not magical, not funny, utterly one-dimensional and simplistic. I can't imagine it working on the printed page, and it certainly didn't give actors like Depp (who does nothing amusing but act crazy) anything to work with. When you can basically tell someone everything that happened in the film in one sentence, it's a bad sign.

-Other than lip-service references to the actual Alice story, this had nothing, whatsoever, to do with Lewis Carroll, the old Disney movie, or anything else. Like my wife said, it was more like watching Narnia or some other CGI'd fantasy film with Alice being a character. I just felt a major disconnect here between the script, director and source material.

-The "breakdance" scene near the conclusion was utterly embarrassing. People were laughing, alright, but not with it, but at it.

-Loved Elfman's Alice theme -- it's utterly depressing it was relegated past the Avril Lavenge song (ugh, talk about horrible) to the tail end of the credits.

-The visuals were still interesting to look at, but I get nothing out of the current 3-D process. After sitting through this and AVATAR, I find it to be a gimmick, a novelty, and it adds nothing to the storytelling and actual filmmaking process. Not only that but if we didn't have passes, it would've literally cost $30 for the two of us to see the film in 3-D. I can't even imagine what the father of three sitting in front of us paid for the movie with his wife -- between their tickets, the 3D surcharge, the "mini meals" he bought his kids, I figure he literally spent $100 on just going to the movies. That's ridiculous, and not worth it for what he paid for.

Overall I think this was a borderline-misfire for Burton. ALICE IN WONDERLAND has so much in the way of colorful characters and goofy humor that I felt it would've been perfect with his sensibilities -- unfortunately it didn't happen. And too many of the characters from Tweele-dee/dum to the Red Queen -- none of them were funny. They had nothing to say, and the movie, as a result, has little to offer outside Burton's visual flourishes.

It's going to make a ton of money -- but it's a major letdown given the material and filmmaker.

Eric W.

#27 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Just got back myself. It managed to be moderately entertaining but thoroughly disappointing at the same time.
This is the overwhelming consensus I'm gathering.

-The screenplay was the major problem. Not magical, not funny, utterly one-dimensional and simplistic. I can't imagine it working on the printed page, and it certainly didn't give actors like Depp (who does nothing amusing but act crazy) anything to work with. When you can basically tell someone everything that happened in the film in one sentence, it's a bad sign.

-Other than lip-service references to the actual Alice story, this had nothing, whatsoever, to do with Lewis Carroll, the old Disney movie, or anything else. Like my wife said, it was more like watching Narnia or some other CGI'd fantasy film with Alice being a character. I just felt a major disconnect here between the script, director and source material.

-The "breakdance" scene near the conclusion was utterly embarrassing. People were laughing, alright, but not with it, but at it.

-Loved Elfman's Alice theme -- it's utterly depressing it was relegated past the Avril Lavenge song (ugh, talk about horrible) to the tail end of the credits.

-The visuals were still interesting to look at, but I get nothing out of the current 3-D process. After sitting through this and AVATAR, I find it to be a gimmick, a novelty, and it adds nothing to the storytelling and actual filmmaking process. Not only that but if we didn't have passes, it would've literally cost $30 for the two of us to see the film in 3-D. I can't even imagine what the father of three sitting in front of us paid for the movie with his wife -- between their tickets, the 3D surcharge, the "mini meals" he bought his kids, I figure he literally spent $100 on just going to the movies. That's ridiculous, and not worth it for what he paid for.

Overall I think this was a borderline-misfire for Burton. ALICE IN WONDERLAND has so much in the way of colorful characters and goofy humor that I felt it would've been perfect with his sensibilities -- unfortunately it didn't happen. And too many of the characters from Tweele-dee/dum to the Red Queen -- none of them were funny. They had nothing to say, and the movie, as a result, has little to offer outside Burton's visual flourishes.

It's going to make a ton of money -- but it's a major letdown given the material and filmmaker.
^^ And these are all of the reasons I've been seeing and hearing for the above consensus.

mkaroly

#28 Post by mkaroly »

I agree with Andy in a few areas:

1). The 3-D process is very gimmicky. That was the the first 3-D film I've seen since the 80s, so I admit they've come a long way. However, $12.00 is a stiff price to pay for something that I'm more than happy to pay $5.00 to see in 2-D. Nothing about the 3-D process has really impressed me...I haven't seen AVATAR (and won't).

2). As I posted in a book thread, I was unimpressed with the books and I don't think 19th century word-play humor translates very well to this day and age. So therefore I wasn't bothered by the script since I thought the dialogue in the book was about equally as annoying (I know I'm treading on hallowed "classic literature" ground here...sorry!) I agree that the movie came off more as a Narnia/LOTR thing, especially the final battle.

3). Visually it was gorgeous and I loved the color schemes and Burton-esque tree limbs, etc. Elfman's score was solid but I thought his WOLFMAN score was more fun. I did like the idea that Alice goes back to Wonderland after having been there before, and her performance was pretty good to me.

4). I liked this movie better than I did the books, and I know I can watch it a few more times, so I guess I'm not really disappointed in it since I wasn't impressed with the books to begin with. I do wish that the bit characters had a bit more space to breathe and get developed. Ultimately, I think this was less of Burton-styled film with his typical dark humor and more of a money-making project that suffices.

John Johnson

#29 Post by John Johnson »

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Alice in Wonderland on 1st June 2010. Tim Burton’s twist on Lewis Carroll’s tale will be available on 1-Disc DVD ($29.99 SRP), 1-Disc Blu-ray ($39.99 SRP) and 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo ($44.99 SRP, includes BD, DVD and Digital Copy). Extras are outlined below…

DVD:
Finding Alice – It’s all things Alice. This featurette includes Tim Burton’s vision for the characters, differences from the book and Disney’s version of Alice and how she evolves as both a character and actor as she takes an adventure through Wonderland.
The Mad Hatter – Audiences are provided with a deeper look into the world of the Mad Hatter. Check out Johnny Depp’s early sketches, make-up, costumes and how they digitally enhanced his eyes.
Effecting Wonderland – A behind-the-scenes piece on the different technologies used to create some of the most beloved characters in the film – Stayne, Tweedledee, Tweedledum, Bandersnatch and the Red Queen.

BLU-RAY:
Everything on the DVD plus:
The Futterwacken Dance – Futterwhat? Check out the making of the timeless dance called the Futterwacken.
The Red Queen – The creation of the Red Queen from start to finish, including early Tim Burton sketches showcasing costume designs, make-up and digital effects.
Time-Lapse: Sculpting the Red Queen – A short time-lapse piece showing Helena Bonham Carter as she gets her make-up done. A three-hour process can be watched in just a few short minutes.
The White Queen – An interview with Anne Hathaway, who plays Wonderland’s good queen, about her character’s journey throughout the process of the film.
Scoring Wonderland – Composer Danny Elfman and Tim Burton discuss the music for the movie.
Stunts of Wonderland – A featurette highlighting some of the biggest stunts in the film.
Making the Proper Size – An inside look at the visual effects process of growing and shrinking Alice. See how filmmakers used different techniques to stay true to the storyline.
Cakes of Wonderland – Take a trip to “Cake Divas” where the creators of the EAT ME cakes provide viewers with details about how they made the smallest crumb to the largest cake in scale.
Tea Party Props – Tea cups, saucers, cakes and more. Prop master Doug Harlocker gives an overview of all the props used to bring the famous tea party scene together visually.

Both formats feature English, French and Spanish audio and subtitle options. The Blu-ray features English 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/c ... -june.html

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

My review copy of the BD just came in. This is easily one of the fastest screen-to-video transitions ever. March 5th in theaters and May 19th on my TV. I know it doesn't get released for another 10 days but anyhow...that's real fast.